Things are looking up/ RG550DY!!! :) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Things are looking up/ RG550DY!!! :)

You guys might remember that I posted a bit over a month ago about my RG550MXXRFR being damaged by UPS in shipping... Well, about a week ago I finally got a money order for... 966$, which is what I paid for the guitar plus my shipping costs! It gets better... The other day I came across a RG550DY (later production model w/AANJ) on a site which will remain nameless (not ***bay). It was only in Queens so I figured I'd check it out. I got there and come to find out the guitar was DEAD MINT! Not a single scratch, original hardware (cosmo black as opposed to black) and I got it for 480$ w/a Prestige-style hardshell case. Now I'm going to use the other 486$ to pay off my RG2550 that's on special order. As for the RFR, I've determined that it's just the finish that's cracked so I will bring it to a luthier and have them sealed and painted. It won't be perfect but the cracks aren't visible from the front, so... Pics of the DY to come when I get batteries for my camera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 11:20 AM

Re: Things are looking up/ RG550DY!!! :)

This should be in the 'reasons to be cheerful' thread too

Nice going!!!

Last edited by scotty; 08-30-2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: abbreviation
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 11:21 AM

Man! I think I hate you now! hehe I am so jealous!

Seriously though, enjoy them! I wish I had your luck! I'm off to slit my wrists now! hehe
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Cheers guys, I couldn't be happier! It's funny, actually, things like this don't generally happen to me... The last few guitars I've bought have all had slight issues so I was beginning to get a bit disillusioned with it all. On the downside (lol) I'm running out of room to store them!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringer of torture View Post
Cheers guys, I couldn't be happier! It's funny, actually, things like this don't generally happen to me... The last few guitars I've bought have all had slight issues so I was beginning to get a bit disillusioned with it all. On the downside (lol) I'm running out of room to store them!
Poor baby!! I have some storage space at my house! hehe Enjoy it man! You gotta embrace the good when it comes your way and make the most out of it, which it seems to me you are so Cheers back at ya!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 11:28 AM

*sends telepathic messages*

"Get the RFR swirled. Get the RFR swirled"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 06:38 PM

Wow! That's neat that you're ultimately getting three guitars. I've always liked the DY AANJ.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Wow! That's neat that you're ultimately getting three guitars. I've always liked the DY AANJ.
It's a sweet guitar, I actually prefer it to the RG550MXX! The AANJ seems a bit sturdier than the original neck joint as well, and thus less prone to cracks.

@scotty- I think I'll keep the RFR as is, although I'm still trying to decide what to do with my RG450BK that I've disassembled. I'd love to have a PMC or a GMC RG!

@Florida Native- I know what you mean; I'm not sure what I did to deserve this but I hope I keep it up, whatever it is!

Do any of you guys have one of these, by the way? It's a bit odd, the serial number starts with "F98" but I can't find any evidence that RG550DYs were available in 98... It's got a mirror Ibanez logo w/tick mark, original Edge bridge and cosmo black hardware. I'm not worried about it being original or not (if it's not original I'll eat my shoes, it sounds almost IDENTICAL to my RFR!) but I'd love to get some more info on it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
*sends telepathic messages*

"Get the RFR swirled. Get the RFR swirled"
*Blocks telepathic messages with psychic beam.

Don't do it. Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringer of torture View Post
Do any of you guys have one of these, by the way? It's a bit odd, the serial number starts with "F98" but I can't find any evidence that RG550DYs were available in 98... It's got a mirror Ibanez logo w/tick mark, original Edge bridge and cosmo black hardware. I'm not worried about it being original or not (if it's not original I'll eat my shoes, it sounds almost IDENTICAL to my RFR!) but I'd love to get some more info on it.
I think it was just a limited run. I've seen them on the Bay occasionally. Very nice score dude, well done.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 10:15 AM

Nice find... Wish I had your luck...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 09:43 AM

a swirl'd RFR with black.... like a GMC but red and black.....

Tags
cosmo black hardware , edge bridge , neck joint , production model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode