thinking about a new ibanez - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Cool thinking about a new ibanez

so i've got some cash at the moment and i've been thinking about getting a hardtail RG kind of guitar. if ibanez made a hardtail HSH prestige guitar available outside of japan, i'd be right on it.

so the closest thing i can find to my taste is an RG321. no single coil, but still, a hardtail RG with a bolt on neck.

i want one for ease of use (not having to deal with a floyd), being able to change tunings and just having a rock solid, simple, heavy guitar.

i've done some research on them and they look pretty good for the price.

about the wizard 2 neck though. do they have warping problems? i don't think they would but still, do they tend to warp easier than prestige necks? also, does the 30mm radius make any difference? also, in case, for whatever reason, the neck ever needed to be replaced, would a prestige wizard bolt right on? some people say it will, some don't.

how different in quality is it gonna be from my prestige rg2550? am i gonna have to deal with faulty electronics, loose screws etc?

i'd like some more opinions on these guitars, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 04:48 AM

Reviews: 6
Re: thinking about a new ibanez

Ive never heard of a neck warping unless its in a dangerous environment, extreme heat, or extreme cold, or if stood up against a wall at an extreme angle, all the common sense stuff to avoid. The thing with these necks are they are very thin and setup is of key importance, if you buy one without looking at it, or trying it out then no doubt it will need fret work and a setup by a pro luthier.

EVERY Ibanez i have ever bought has required a setup due to the previous owner having no knowledge of setting a guitar up, they play with the truss rod and trem angles etc and they make a right mess of these things.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian555 View Post
Ive never heard of a neck warping unless its in a dangerous environment, extreme heat, or extreme cold, or if stood up against a wall at an extreme angle, all the common sense stuff to avoid. The thing with these necks are they are very thin and setup is of key importance, if you buy one without looking at it, or trying it out then no doubt it will need fret work and a setup by a pro luthier.

EVERY Ibanez i have ever bought has required a setup due to the previous owner having no knowledge of setting a guitar up, they play with the truss rod and trem angles etc and they make a right mess of these things.

Hope this helps.
i can intonate, adjust action and adjust the neck myself, i can't really level/crown frets myself though.

it's a hardtail guitar so the only thing to worry about is the neck really.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 11:39 AM

you should try and get a RG470FX, VERY hard to find, but MIJ, wizard II neck, h-s-h, fixed bridge.

It is probably the guitar i want most.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 12:45 PM

Reviews: 6

I recently aquired a RG570, original edge bridge, super silky and a dream to play, MIJ, and cheap too 245. I rate it very close to my old JS1000, even with the standard v8-s1-v7 pups.

If i upgraded the pups to a set of breeds or evo`s then it would a beast of an axe. Theres always plenty of bargains out there.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 02:15 PM

Reviews: 21

I've been thinking of getting an aftermarket HSH fixed bridge RG body since Ibanez won't build what I want.
Wizard 2's aren't bad. IMO a bulk of the problems with Indonesian Ibanez guitars are with their floating bridge models. The fixed bride ones are pretty good, actually. Still, it would be nice to have a Prestige fixed bridge.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian555 View Post
I recently aquired a RG570, original edge bridge, super silky and a dream to play, MIJ, and cheap too 245. I rate it very close to my old JS1000, even with the standard v8-s1-v7 pups.

If i upgraded the pups to a set of breeds or evo`s then it would a beast of an axe. Theres always plenty of bargains out there.
yeah but i'm looking for a hardtail lol. i wish ibanez would make that japan-only hardtail RG available.

Tags
hardtail , ibanez , rg321

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode