Thinking of being a bad boy. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of being a bad boy.

I have been saving for awile now to get my new 7VWH.
But something told me to try a PRS custom 24 which I never touch because I couldn't afford one.
All I can say is WOW that thing has so many different tones just by twisting the knob and it feels nice when playing it too. The BAD is the weight very heavy!
So if that wasn't enough I see an 08 Petrucci sitting on the wall and grab that LOL.

So now I am wanting 3 guitars and only have the money for one .
It's going to be tough but the PRS is in the lead right now. Just waiting to see what deal they can give me on an 08.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 05:30 PM

Re: Thinking of being a bad boy.

Go for the PRS, I've got both (Jem 7VWH & Custom 24)and the Jem is just so damn lifeless and sterile in comparison, I love the neck profile on the Jem, prefer the Jem trem, but I guess that I dont get on with the pickups or the body wood, however the PRS sounds so much more 'tonefull', espicially when played clean. Kind of wish I hadnt bought the Jem now, so I guess it'll be sold at a stupid loss.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 10:45 PM

PRS or Petrucci. As awesome as the JEM neck is (and it's AWESOME imo), the tone of one of the other two eclipses it.

My vote would always go to Fender's custom shop though...
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 10:58 PM

I think you should flip a coin between the pet and the prs.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 11:11 PM

um...i would get a melancon. a fully custom axe for the price of either.

melanconguitars.com

rich
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 PM

woops wrong place to post this comment.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:58 AM

Hmmm - interesting comment on the weight of the Custom 24 - I've got a CU22 and the weight is definitely down there with my JEM VDY - all I can suggest is you try a few, they obviously differ a bit - mind you the CU 22 is a hardtail, so I guess Mahogany weighs less than a solid milled brass trem unit!

Based on my experiences as the owner of a couple of JEMs and a couple of PRS's, I'd say go the PRS any day!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 05:19 AM

You know, I've seen a few threads like this and although I applaud everyone's honesty, I'm always surprised what little love there seems to be for the good old Jem!
Now I can't comment on the relative merits of the PRS, the Petrucci and the Jem and I'm sure experienced people will have valid opinions. Also I'm not trying to persuade you to go for the Jem as a matter of principle!
I have tried quite a few quality instruments some costing considerably more than a VWH, but I'll always come back to mine, I suppose one man's sterile is another man's high fidelity!
I guess it's always important to thoroughly try out a prospective purchase and see if it fits you!
Jim
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:33 AM

maybe you can go for a 77vbk, in tone and feeling made me think of playing a compleatly different guitar from a 7vwh...if you haven't tried one, then try! You'll be surprised! Plus you have to think about the different PU settings H-S-H vs H-H...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:29 AM

I would probably go for the Petrucci, because, honestly, it was the coolset guitar I have ever played. But the looks of an RG/JEM body is my undoing. It's like a sexy woman to me it always makes me lust.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 09:24 AM

Reviews: 65

Actually sold my PRS when I got the JEM. I totally prefer the JEM.

Many EBMM are not as good quality wise (and I know I get flamed for saying that), it is the truth. I have no idea why the Petrucci is so hyped.

If you want warmer tone compared to the Evos in the JEM I would go with a Breeds JEM or with a JS1200 any day over a PRS or EBMM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
Actually sold my PRS when I got the JEM. I totally prefer the JEM.

Many EBMM are not as good quality wise (and I know I get flamed for saying that), it is the truth. I have no idea why the Petrucci is so hyped.

If you want warmer tone compared to the Evos in the JEM I would go with a Breeds JEM or with a JS1200 any day over a PRS or EBMM.
You see I have only played a few EBs, but now that your saying it. I think I half agree with you.

For the price of an EBMM they should be a bit nicer don't you think? If you compare the finished product to a PRS or JEM despite the playability and sound the small things should be nicer. Even if they don't matter technically. If it's in that price range then it should have the nicest everything. The price of a JEM is high, but I have never seen a JEM that looks like something should be better on it for what it is.

The Petrucci is amazing, but the trem could be better and I think a few more artistic things could be done, as well as some final touches n the necks and such. But after all this is a buisness and Petruci's name sales.

Remeber this is what I think for the price range. Other than that the playability and sound was amazing on the EBMM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

I did notice between the petrucci and JEM the nut width seems smaller on the pertrucci? Am I right here?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim Fuego View Post
You know, I've seen a few threads like this and although I applaud everyone's honesty, I'm always surprised what little love there seems to be for the good old Jem!
. . . .
I bought a 20th anniversary RG before I ever held a JEM and when I finally did, I was happy to find that I liked the RG better.

Of course, it's just personal preference. It's so true that one player's dream guitar just won't appeal to others. Be a "bad boy" and get the PRS if you like it better.

Tags
custom shop , jem neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode