Thinking of buying a Fender American Delux 'fat' strat, but which neck? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Thinking of buying a Fender American Delux 'fat' strat, but which neck?

Maple or rosewood? All my Ibanez and PRS guitars are rosewood, so I've never really spent any serious time with a maple fretboard. Is there really that much of a tonal difference between the two, or are the differences more to do with the general feel of the maple compared to rosewood, or purely cosmetic?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:57 AM

Reviews: 18
Re: Thinking of buying a Fender American Delux 'fat' strat, but which neck?

If you're going to buy a strat, the maple will, more times than none, come with some sort of sealant applied to it, unless the guitar is a custom shop strat, at which point you can have your pick and choose of finish.

The upside of having a sealed maple neck is that you simply can wipe it clean when it becomes dirty. As far as tone differences, I personally haven't noticed a huge difference in tone but I'm sure that could be challenged if you record a guitar of the same specs with a maple neck and one with a rosewood one.

That's my $.02

Jimmy
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:21 AM

MAPLE!

If you're buying a strat, maple's the way to go, both tonally and aesthetically. It's a tad brighter, but it sounds so much better and adds to the strat sparkle, while adding sizzle to the humbucker tone.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 AM

I must be tonally deaf or my mind is just not able to accept the significance of a fretboard's wood to the end tone of a guitar. I would guess that some guys have the ability to detect the probably 1% tonal impact of fretboard wood on a guitar.

Personally though, maple looks right on a strat.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post
I must be tonally deaf or my mind is just not able to accept the significance of a fretboard's wood to the end tone of a guitar. I would guess that some guys have the ability to detect the probably 1% tonal impact of fretboard wood on a guitar.

I agree. A maple neck with a maple fretboard is nice but, there is a minimal tone difference that is almost non-existent in relation to the final tone that a guitar outputs.

A lot of people buy a guitar with a maple fretboard because of looks but not because of any tonal differences.

Jimmy
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:13 PM

Reviews: 1

If you can't hear a difference between maple, rosewood or ebony fingerboards then just chose what you like the look and feel off.

I for one do hear a difference between all 3, less so between ebony and maple. I have a preference for ebony and maple because they're brighter and more percussive, especially ebony but there are lots other factors that affect a guitar's tone so I won't say that I like one fretboard wood over another unless we're talking about the exact same guitar with different fretboard.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
A lot of people buy a guitar with a maple fretboard because of looks but not because of any tonal differences.

Jimmy
Maybe this is what it'll boil down to, the finish I quite like is the the 3 colour sunburst, which is quite dark around the edges, the rosewood neck seems to go quite well with the darker body edge, the maple I'm not too sure about, will try and attach some pics:

What do you guys think?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 PM

I guess it depends on the color of the guitar and the personal preference. I have a similar paint scheme on my Strat Plus (except mine is a "Blue Burst") and it has a maple fretboard. Cid has the same color scheme on his with a rosewood fretboard.

If I was in your predicament, I'd pick the maple one just because it has abalone dots. Also, keep in mind that the guitar will look completely different in a picture.

Jimmy
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:26 PM

Both of my Strats have rosewood and I am partial to it. I can't hear a difference in them. I choose Rosewood for the looks.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:28 PM

i have a american made fender, its crap complete crap...fender makes some of the worst guitars ever...we have american made new production, and my pops got old ass origional strats and tele guitars, the older ones hve a better tone to them...but all in all the woods/electronics/setup/acuracy is out right of the lowest quality ever...if you are that interested in a "strat" have warmoth build one for you, if you do the finishing work yourself, it will cost you alot less than a built strat, or maybe the same price, but with soo much more quality

pee on fenders is what i say
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
I guess it depends on the color of the guitar and the personal preference. I have a similar paint scheme on my Strat Plus (except mine is a "Blue Burst") and it has a maple fretboard. Cid has the same color scheme on his with a rosewood fretboard.

If I was in your predicament, I'd pick the maple one just because it has abalone dots. Also, keep in mind that the guitar will look completely different in a picture.

Jimmy
It'll be the colour in the pics above, might go for maple as it'd be something different for the fleet.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
i have a american made fender, its crap complete crap...fender makes some of the worst guitars ever...we have american made new production, and my pops got old ass origional strats and tele guitars, the older ones hve a better tone to them...but all in all the woods/electronics/setup/acuracy is out right of the lowest quality ever...if you are that interested in a "strat" have warmoth build one for you, if you do the finishing work yourself, it will cost you alot less than a built strat, or maybe the same price, but with soo much more quality

I've had many bad Ibanez guitars also, its luck of the draw, but I always buy from a shop that gives me 14 days to return a guitar that I dont like.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 05:38 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:

I don't think that was answering the question the OP asked....

I'd go the maple fret board. I hadn't had one since my first electric guitar - a Cort Strat copy, and that was many years ago until last year when I got my RG20th. Maple fret boards are fantastic. If it is sounding a bit bright just turn down the tone a bit. Great feel on the maple too.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:

You may not be old enough to know what Fender "crap" really is, so just trust me when I say Fender builds them far better now than 30 years ago.

You may get some spotty builds with the MIM, but I have yet to pick up an American Standard that was so bad I hated it.

You can pick up a used Eric Johnson strat for about the same money as a decent Warmoth build, and that is a FAR better investment.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post

That's crazy talk to me! I hear a HUGE difference; granted, it depends on the rest of the woods, too. But with strats, I hear a very big difference between rosewood and maple. I guess just everyone's ears are different.
But if you can't hear the difference, a good rule of thumb on Fenders in general is MAPLE. It just looks so much better (in my opinion, though some colors scream for rosewood...for example I would never mix 3-tone sunburst with maple. Then again, 2-tone sunburst can never be mixed with a rosewood fretboard.)
Rock that strat man.
smitty

Tags
abalone dots , custom shop , deluxe strat , ebony fingerboard , edge pro trem , edge pro trems , electric guitar , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , fat strat , floyd rose , fret board , fretboard wood , ibanez edge pro , ibanez guitars , maple fret , maple fret board , maple fretboard , maple neck , neck pickup , playing guitar , prs guitar , prs guitars , rosewood fretboard , rosewood neck , strat plus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode