Thinking of putting some money down on a AS73 by Ibanez - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of putting some money down on a AS73 by Ibanez

Here at the local music shop they've got one used for $299.00, the only problem? It's not left handed. Regardless of the dexterity, I still played what few little notes I could given it being upside down. The neck felt great, and it sounded great. Very ES-335 like. I was playing through a Delta Blues 115. Even WITHOUT plugged in, it sounded awesome.

So here's my question, should I get it and get it restrung left handed, or would I be better off buying a left handed one, where the control knobs and switch will be normally there for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 05:12 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Thinking of putting some money down on a AS73 by Ibanez

It is a great guitar, and yes the neck is great. An AFS was my first guitar, and still does well for me!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandman View Post
Here at the local music shop they've got one used for $299.00, the only problem? It's not left handed. Regardless of the dexterity, I still played what few little notes I could given it being upside down. The neck felt great, and it sounded great. Very ES-335 like. I was playing through a Delta Blues 115. Even WITHOUT plugged in, it sounded awesome.

So here's my question, should I get it and get it restrung left handed, or would I be better off buying a left handed one, where the control knobs and switch will be normally there for me?
I'm no guitar expert, but I would think that the notches for the strings in the nut and bridge may be set up for the thinner and thicker strings. I don't know the instrument, but maybe the nut and bridge can be flipped? If not, I would say if you are going to invest in a guitar you love then you might wait for a lefty one to show up. Just my 2 cents... but if the price is right on the right-hander you can always resell it if you buy it and it doesn't work out.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I'm no guitar expert, but I would think that the notches for the strings in the nut and bridge may be set up for the thinner and thicker strings. I don't know the instrument, but maybe the nut and bridge can be flipped? If not, I would say if you are going to invest in a guitar you love then you might wait for a lefty one to show up. Just my 2 cents... but if the price is right on the right-hander you can always resell it if you buy it and it doesn't work out.
The price for a new AS73 for a left handed model is $499...you're right, you would have to get a new nut to be made. The one at the music store is used, and they're asking $299 for it
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 12:41 PM

No kidding... I just looked on-line and they are not cheap. I did notice something though, the bridge is slanted when they build it. I think the right handed guitar would have a bridge slanting the wrong way to string it for left handed playing.

I ran across this used lefty in "great " condition at a Guitar Center. They have a pretty good deal going, where if you buy from them they will ship it for free to a Guitar Center close to you. If you go to pick it up and it has a problem or don't like it, they offer a money back guarantee.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-U...59-i3804812.gc

Tags
artcore , ibanez as73

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode