Thinking of upgrading PUPs to Dimarzio Evo's, help? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of upgrading PUPs to Dimarzio Evo's, help?

Attachment 1720I have a RG4EXFM1 with the Inf4 and Inf3 pups in it, are the Evolutions a good swap out for this guitar? It has a basswood body, 3 pc maple neck. For an amp i have Line 6 Spider IV 120. I would just be replacing the humbuckers and not the single coil in the middle. I like to play stuff like Metallica, Pantera, Vai, Randy Rhodes style. I know people say their not good for metal type music but i've seen vids on youtube that show otherwise. If anyone has these and could give me insight i would appreciate it. I just want to increase note response and harmonics/ sustain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 633930569771664505.jpg (5.0 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Re: Thinking of upgrading PUPs to Dimarzio Evo's, help?

Are their any adjustments i would need to make that i need to be aware of other than just swapping them out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg default.jpg (3.0 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:41 PM

Evos are fairly bright pickups, but if you like what you hear of them then go for it. there are so many good pickups out there it's tough to go very far wrong. Also, if you get them from Dimarzio and don't like them, you can send them back for a set of Breeds or something else. The new Petrucci pair, the LiquiFire/Crunchlab set is getting a lot of good press these days as well if you like John's sound.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Would they be f-spaced or standard, I'm guessing standard?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 03:15 PM

You'll probably want the bridge to be F-spaced, but it doesn't matter whatsoever from a functional point of view either.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:26 PM

I'd say the Evo neck would be good for you. You may want something hotter in the bridge though. I'm thinking a Super 3 would pair up nicely with it and be able to handle your tonal needs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:09 PM

I actually have this exact same guitar (except with greyburst) and swapped the pickups for EVOs three months ago. Its definitely an improvement, sounds like a JEM without the 2K price They are bright, and they're just good soloing pickups. EMGs would be another great option, but I don't really know if you can install them in RGs because they are active pickups and need a battery. But if you like that Vai sound (my reason) then go for it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 05:53 PM

Breeds sound very good in basswood guitars, I found Evos too bright in a basswood RG, but thats my ears and my rig.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 06:05 PM

I second chris101, IMHO Evos are too bright in basswood. I like them in mahogany and alder bodied guitars though. For my money you can't go wrong with set of DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck.

Keep in mind though, that pickup choices are like ice cream. Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors for a reason. So, what I like in a pickup may not be what you like in a pickup.

jim777 makes a great point too, if you purchase them straight from DiMarzio you'll have the opportunity to exchange them if you don't like the tone you get. Your local DiMarzio dealer may be able to help you in that respect also, YMMV.

~d~

Tags
dimarzio evolution

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode