Time to part ways with my Metal Leopard - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Time to part ways with my Metal Leopard

My USA Custom is in decent shape and still very playable but has been sitting in her case for over 10 years so I figure it's time to part ways

The trem is kind of rough and there's a nice ding on the back of the neck. It can be felt while playing but it doesn't bother me. But for some others it might. She also has some fret-wear and some hazing/scratches below the middle and neck pickups. Also there's no serial number on the neck plate (not sure why) but there is one on the back of the headstock and I have the truss-rod cover, just need to look around for it.

I couldn't find any info of sold listings of guitars like this and don't really know if this is a rare or even a desirable model. So I figured I'd try asking what you guys think a USA Custom Metal Leopard in this condition might be worth.

Last edited by Retroe; 04-30-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Re: Time to part ways with my Metal Leopard

80+ views and nobody has a guesstimate or opinion?

I'm not asking for an appraisal, just a ballpark number or what you might ask for it if it was yours.

Any help would be appreciated because I really don't know if its worth $200 or $2k.

Thanks

Last edited by Retroe; 04-30-2017 at 03:44 PM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 07:35 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

I think 80 views sorta and no PMs offering to purchase is a good gauge of meh interest. Dead mint might barely fetch more than a new Indo JEM sad to say... non-signature Ibanez has far less value even ones barely produced... no one cares. This one IMHO has too much fret wear if someone paid $1k they need a $350 refret. Might get better value in a trade.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. To be clear I'm not looking for trades nor was I looking for PM's offering to purchase. My apologies if my post came off that way.

But thank you for at least weighing in and providing the info that "no one cares". That tells me she isn't a sought after model. I really had no idea if it was or wasn't and yeah the fret-wear is significant because I use to play the crap out her. Plus the gouge in the back of the neck doesn't help.

Should I just throw it away? I don't mean to sound sarcastic but it seems you're right, and if no one cares (which is why nobody replied), it sounds like it has little to no value.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:57 PM
Vendor

80 is nothing, it only means the ones that do care or do know just haven't seen, or taken the bother. Everything has value [evidently not my pocket lint] but these are old guitars and dated. It takes the right buyer and a willing seller to make a fair deal.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:59 PM

I think it is a very cool and desirable USA Custom. Looks like an original USA Custom badged case as well. Hard to pin down a value. You could easily get $750 (probably more) on a selling site which would be more visible to a lot more people. A lot of folks have spent big money on guitars lately, hence the low interest here, I think. In the end, it is a relatively rare USA Custom and does have more value than most RGs out there. All the electronics should be quality Dimarzio parts assembled at the Custom Shop as well.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Everything has value [evidently not my pocket lint] but these are old guitars and dated. It takes the right buyer and a willing seller to make a fair deal.
Well that's what I came here, trying to find out what a fair price would be for this old and dated guitar.

I have several Fender guitars and old dated Fenders are easy to research and find approximately what they're worth. But I really couldn't find any info or old posts that gave me a clue as to what this old USA Custom is worth, specifically a Metal Leopard. Hence my post here at the Jemsite.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
I think it is a very cool and desirable USA Custom. Looks like an original USA Custom badged case as well. Hard to pin down a value. You could easily get $750 (probably more) on a selling site which would be more visible to a lot more people. A lot of folks have spent big money on guitars lately, hence the low interest here, I think. In the end, it is a relatively rare USA Custom and does have more value than most RGs out there. All the electronics should be quality Dimarzio parts assembled at the Custom Shop as well.
Yep, original case. Thanks for giving me some kind of idea of it's value.

Regarding the electronics... I seem to recall back in the early 90's if my memory seerves me correxctly that after I bought it one of the pickups quite working. I'm pretty sure it was one of the single-coil pups and I took it back and they replaced it. I didn't think about it at the time but more than likely it wasn't replaced with the exact same pickup. Is there some way I can tell for sure and about how much would you say that detract from it's value?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:15 PM
Vendor

There is no price guide for any of these, they made alot of different ones and interest depends on exactly which one. These metal patterns I like more than the airbrushed graphics, but not enough to handle them so I don't follow the market on any of them. Somebody does, and if you have any patience maybe someday they'll see this and give an opinion. Which is something everybody has [like pocket lint] and is not always right. With all free information, you tend to get what you pay for

Rules of forums, it might take 3 months for somebody that knows and cares to reply to do so, if ever, or maybe tomorrow, but you can't force it. It'll happen, or it won't.

Your fretwear is your biggest problem.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 11:42 PM
site founder 0% owner

Best way to gauge value is list it for sale. Short of that it's informed speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroe View Post
I have several Fender guitars and old dated Fenders are easy to research and find approximately what they're worth. But I really couldn't find any info or old posts that gave me a clue as to what this old USA Custom is worth, specifically a Metal Leopard. Hence my post here at the Jemsite.
Ibanez is not Fender. It's surprising the Custom graphic Ibanez has no cult following but that much-smaller-than-Fender audience has their heart set on their guitar hero's axes. And because of that other than Ibanez Signature models - mostly JEM and JS - and scattered others there is little care in the world. That's not a knock just a simple observation of worth. You'd think a nearly 30 year old custom graphic axe would have more value but it doesn't because it's not linked to a famous guitarist.

Here is an RG770 in "excellent" condition $670
Used Ibanez RG770 Solid Body Electric Guitar Emerald Green | Guitar Center

and fair condition $499
Used Ibanez Rg770fm Solid Body Electric Guitar 3 Tone Sunburst | Guitar Center

If you got double you're at the prices discussed. If you put it for sale and happened to find a guy looking for one you'd maybe get more but again people aren't scrounging the web for these RG custom graphic models. See many free WTB ads?

Also consider the new MIJ RGs would be considered a better purchase by most today.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with what the other guys have said.

The thing here is that you're trying to get a purchase from a guy who is looking for the guitar of his youth. Either the one just like he used to have or the one that got away.

As an actual guitar, a new RG is a better bet. You've got to find/wait for someone who's looking for a side portion of nostalgia
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Best way to gauge value is list it for sale. Short of that it's informed speculation.
Well I took your advice and did just that. I listed it on that auction site with a high Buy It Now price and with the "Make Offer" feature. I figured it can't hurt to try and maybe I'll get a decent offer.

One thing I was wondering though. As stated the fret wear is a concern plus that ding on the back of the neck doesn't help. If I wanted to keep it and watched for a new trem unit for it, what kind of Ibanez neck would be a good fit? I see there's plenty of them for sale but of course no USA Custom necks. So which model (that's not too hard to come by) would you say to look for and work well if I wanted to keep her and do a neck swap?
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Vendor

You'll hurt value more by putting anything other than a correct and better condition neck on it.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 07:20 PM

Right now Satchel from Steel Panther is out there licking his lips looking at this one......
doriangrey likes this.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 12:32 AM

Two reasons:

1. The finsih is ugly (looks cheap and looks faded). It would probably fetch more interests if it were regular graphic reminiscent of those 80s Kramer or Warren DeMartini's Charvel. Plus, in this day and age, leopard finish is very, very cheesy. Who wants to look like a 20-dollar lady of the night on Vegas strip...come on. I reckon the same goes true with Satchel's leopard guitar. But since his band is 80s parody, he's a different case.

2. The golden age of graphic guitar is long gone. 40 something players growing up in the 80s have changed in terms of taste, while 20 somethings have no idea what the heavens a USA Custom is. If it ain't 7 string in black, forget about it.

Last edited by jono; 05-03-2017 at 02:02 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode