Time to return to the guitar hobby. 920 with the maple board or the RG3XXV? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Time to return to the guitar hobby. 920 with the maple board or the RG3XXV?

Title says all folks.

Haven't posted here in eons. Sadly had to put down the guitar hobby for a while. I think I've finally gotten my self in a position that I can actively pick it up again. The bad thing about playing guitar we all know is that there is always something out there you want. Sadly wants cost and with any hobby, thats a fact.

Its been far too long since I've had an Ibanez in my hands. I'd love to have something new and cool to play around with again.

Last year when the Premiums hit the scene I was tempted then but knew I wasn't in a position to get one. Was semi sad there was no maple love then. Maybe it was a blessing I've had to wait as the maple boards have arrived.

I've always been a sucker for reverse headstocks and hum/singles. So that darn RG3XXV is also looking really tempting. I know over all especially with the differences in the necks the Premium would be the better bet but I'm gassing for the hum/single limited one. Maybe since my last 350 with the Edge 3 the regular Indo guitars have taken it up a notch. With the Premium thing hitting the scene has that happened? Just wondering if the build or work ethic of the premium side of things has trickled over to the standard lineup factory wise? I see the newer ones also have have the Zero trem system. So technically other than the neck construction and cosmetics they should be similar with everything else right?

I was on Rich's webpage earlier and saw he has both the new 920s with maple boards and the RG3XXVs listed and showing in stock now.

So freaking tempting.

Sorry for the long winded post. Just excited about the thought of having a new Ibanez in the house again.

So I ask the hive, which of the two would you go for sight unseen?

Cheers
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 09:38 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Time to return to the guitar hobby. 920 with the maple board or the RG3XXV?

I think I'd have to go the 3XXV since it's got a reverse headstock, H-S setup. Even if I had to do some fretwork. The Premiums are hot though.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:00 PM

I didn't know about those maple board premiums! Sick! Maybe I should save up incase they come up with a maple board 7 string one. That'd be killer.

I'd say go with the 3XX if you dig the reverse headstock and H/S pups. Same bridge and everything so it sounds like the 3XX has more features for you. I personally really dig that blue 920 with the maple.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:45 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I think I'd have to go the 3XXV since it's got a reverse headstock, H-S setup. Even if I had to do some fretwork. The Premiums are hot though.
This! ^^^
Those maple 920's are nice though. Are those dots abalone?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the replies so far.

I think price wise considering I'm starting all over from scratch I'm leaning towards the RG3. This way I can invest more into a smallish amp and maybe a FX board of some sort. Since the RG3 is "limited" and the 920 in maple board form should be in theory around for a few years its probably best I get the RG3 first. I know eventually I'm going to want an example of both. Love that Red Desert too.

Yea that is a good question, I hadn't really paid attention to the dots either. They do look like maybe abalone or most likely mother of plastic It's a premium, they cut a corner or two somewhere I'm sure. Since Rich will probably be the first person around here to give a first hand account we will have to wait his response.

I don't expect the cheaper Indo made one to be perfect. Far from it but I'll look forward to tweaking it to my personal preference. I had that last 350 of mine playing pretty darn good after I spent some time with it getting it adjusted just right. I think the RG3 will be a good buy. If I bought it through Rich I know he won't ship a complete dud so there will be a decent base guitar to work with. Anyone else could be a complete crap shoot for a dud or a stud.

Down the pipe I can eyeball buy/sale/trade boards and fleabay etc.... Someone will part with a 920 mapleboard for a good price. I've seen a few of the original 920s go for cheap on the bay recently as I've been starting to watch for when these maple variety ones might pop up finally. People get bored with stuff and want new ones.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 AM

I'd say try them both out if possible and go from there but as I see it I've never bought a brand new ibby and that 3XXV is going to be the first
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 AM

Reverse headstock for the win!!!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Both look really nice, but I've still got to say 920QM.
Still love mine since the day I got in in March 2011.
I'm still about to pull the trigger on the 565 Ani, though. Just too damn gorgeous!
Keep in mind that the 920 comes with a very nice and heavycbag--the 565 Ani does not. But for the price difference--buy a case.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombatty View Post
I'd say try them both out if possible and go from there but as I see it I've never bought a brand new ibby and that 3XXV is going to be the first
As I orginally stated, it will probably be a sight unseen purchase. The 3 "authorized" Ibanez dealers here are Guitar Center, Sam Ash or a local company called Alamo Music. All 3 are slow to get in Ibanez stock. If it were a Strat or Les Paul it would be completely different. I've yet to see any of the new bold colored Premiums or standard RG anniversaries here in the area. I doubt I'll see a RG3 anniversary one. Even the original premiums have been fairly rare at each store it seems every time I've gone in to one of them. I've yet to see a black ice or liquid inferno at one of those 3 stores. I have a feeling it will be a while before I saw a maple boarded one there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Both look really nice, but I've still got to say 920QM.
Still love mine since the day I got in in March 2011.
I'm still about to pull the trigger on the 565 Ani, though. Just too damn gorgeous!
Keep in mind that the 920 comes with a very nice and heavycbag--the 565 Ani does not. But for the price difference--buy a case.

I'll be most likely purchasing a hardshell for either or. I usually do as I don't trust a gigbag if I'm going to be taking it out of the homestead.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 04:54 PM

Doesn't Guitar Center cover shipping and have like a 30 day 100% satisfaction guarantee? If so, get them both from them, return them both, and buy the one you like from Rich.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Vendor

The RG3's have incredibly scratchy frets. So bad they will sing if you just rub the strings on them. They have to be sanded and polished before delivery, and most have poor string alignment also. I took one up the HUSA last week when I was returning other guitars just to show the buyer.

The MQM's are typical Premium, far better than straight Indo like the RG3's, but still far from perfect also.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. Was patiently waiting to see if you would notice this thread.

Decisions. I really like the configuration of the RG3 but I know ultimately the Premium is the better guitar overall.

Rich, in your honest opinion is the RG3 worth the additional setup trouble or not?

Also are the maple boarded Premiums actually a US release as well or did you obtain yours through a european source knowing some of us in the US would definately want the maple variety?

I just find it odd no one else stateside has em listed as preorder or inbound and the Ibanez US version website isn't making any mention of it yet as a mid summer release. I'll be honest, I was surprised to see it on your webpage listed. The RG3 too but I figured you knew some of us would be interested in those as well. Thanks so much if thats the case. I was planning on getting it through you anyways

Cheers
J
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Vendor

They're all SNAMM models.
the materials are better on the MQ's, there is definitely some selecfting of materials going on with them. If you like the 3 better it can be made into a decent guitar, it's just more work than the MQ.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm going to go with the RG3 here folks. I just need to make sure my wallet is in order before I do it. The last thing I need to do is go down that dark path again. Uggh.

Rich I'll be most likely giving you a call here pretty soon.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm sure I'll eventually get the 920 with the maple board down the road. One at at time as I can safely afford it.

Looking forward to posting that NGD thread soon.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 12:30 PM

I haven't been a member of this site for a long time, but I've been a guitar player for a long time and an Ibanez owner for about the same amount of time. About a month ago my baby was stolen and when it came time to realize that the police were doing absolutely nothing to get her back, I started looking for a new guitar to play.

I spent about 2 hours each on the 2xxx and the 920QM, and personally I enjoyed the feel of the 920 far more than the 2xxx. Their necks were about the same, thickness wise, but the 920 just felt far easier to play.

just my $.02

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode