Time to start a new project, Fabric covered RG - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Time to start a new project, Fabric covered RG

So of all the projects I have rolling arond in my head to work on this will be the one I start with. It will be a fabric covered RG. I've never tried doing a fabric covered guitar so this will be an interesting build for me. I understand the basics of doing this but I'm sure there will be a little learning curve. Either way it ought to be fun.

Since this will be my first attempt at a fabric cover I didn't want to get an expensive RG and ruin it. So I got on eBay and found a rough RG120 that I picked up for $60 including shipping. The guitar came in yesterday and I started messing with it this morning. It was repainted at one point and whoever did it obviously didn't know what they were doing, it looks really rough. Even some of the hardware has paint on it. No matter though, The old finish is coming off and any parts I intend to reuse will get a proper cleaning. The rest will get upgraded. Terrible paint job aside, doing a quick inspection it looks like everything is structurally sound. No major damage to the body, mainly some screw holes need to be filled an redrilled. The neck looks strainght, frets are in good shape, no chips in the neck or fretboard. Just like the body it just needs a proper refinishing job.

Here is what I'm starting with.

And here it is after being taken apart:

The fabric I picked out looks like sheet music and is an off white color. I'll also do a burst ring around it along with a branch/leaves silhouette on the top. I'm still up in the air about a few things like what I want to do with the bridge. It came with a 6 screw fender type tremolo. I'm not 100% sure if I want to keep that or convert it to a hardtail or floyd bridge. I'm leaning toward keeping the fender style bridge but upgrade it to a more solid one. And on the neck I think I may put on some of those vinyl inlay stickers to dress it up a little. I'm thinking either sharkfin or vine of life, somehting to cover the dots. I also may cut a monkey grip into it, not sure on that either. Whatever I finally decide on the first step is to get rid of that ugly finish and get it back down to bare wood. I'm looking foward to the mess that's going to make stripping the paint off. LOL!

Here's a rough concept illustration of what I want the end product to be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Re: Time to start a new project, Fabric covered RG

Update:

Well i got the old finish off... what a pain that was. I though I'd be able to get everything off with some chemical paint stripper. Nope, it couldn't be quite that easy. The genius who did the "refinishing" before I got it decided it would be a good idea to slap bondo over the entire body so I had to get out the sandpaper and sand all that junk off. I also filled any holes that needed filling. I still have to wait for that to dry and sand it down. I also still need to do a little clean up sanding too but all the major stuff is done & the body is back down to bare wood. Next up is to do some clean up work on the neck, mainly get the paint off the headstock

Here's how the body sits as of now.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Another quick update:

So far so good, things are progressing nicely. I got the fabric glued on the front and back, did the initial trimming, and just put my first coat of sanding sealer on.

I'm basically following this guide http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/mat.htm with a few minor modifications. I used decoupage to glue the fabric to the body instead of titebond. I decided to use the decoupage since it dries clear and the fabric is off white. Doing one side at a time I rough cut the fabric to the shape of the body leaving about an inch or so of overhang. The pattern of the fabric I'm using is pretty straight foward sheet music so positioning wasn't critical. After spreading the glue across the body I place the fabric on to and used an old credit card to flatten the fabric an push out any air bubbles. Once the fabric was placed I poured a little more decoupage on top and spread it out for extra measure and to fill the fabric a bit more. The decoupage did a good job of gluing the fabric down.

Here's a pic of the back side with the fabric glued down. I forgot to take a pic of the front.

You can see the color of the wood shows through the white fabric. I knew this would happen and for my purposes it is what I wanted. There were no grain lines in the wood and the wood color showing through gives the sheet music fabric a look that simulates aged paper.

After the glue dried and set overnight I trimmed the fabric flush-ish to the edge. There's still about 1/8" to 1/16" overhang and a few freyed edges as expected. After I get some layers of sanding sealer on to harden the fabric I can go back and clean everthing up. I've already put my first coat of sanding sealer on. I'll keep putting on more coats until the fabric is fully saturated and have enough build up to start sanding it flat.

Here's the body with the fabric trimmed up and the first coat of sealer on.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 01:04 PM

Very cool project madasahatter, i really look forward to see when its finished.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 02:47 PM

Nice!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 04:22 PM

That's a cool project!!!!! I look forward to see it done.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 03:21 PM

Thats awesome!
I am very interestet in the sound change with this Fabric cover.
Could you may make some sound Tests with it?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Updates:

I've made some pretty decent progress since the last update. I got all the sanding sealer done and did most of the painting. It took about a week and many layers to do the sealer. I want to say it was 20-25 coats, I lost count half way through. I know it took about 6 layers to fill the fabric & have enough build up to start lightly flat sanding. After that it was do a few more layers, let dry, sand flat then repeat. Did that until I had a nice flat surface all around.

Next up was painting the front design & doing the burst. For the front images I just free handed a template for the silhouette branches, masked the body and sprayed. For the burst edges I did the poor man's burst method. I decided just to burst the back side and not do any images. All of this was done with black rattlecan spray. All I have left to do with painting is touch up some areas on the sides that didn't get hit when doing the burst. Then it will be on to starting the clear coats.

Now for the good part, Pictures:

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 04:15 PM

Reviews: 2

Man, I really love that look!! I might have done the stencil graphics after a few coats of clear just to give it some extra depth (almost 3D looking?) but really!! that's awesome!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 05:51 PM

Yeah looking really good madasahatter
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 10:19 PM

Mad, this is really a creative design you've come up with.I love it. Can't wait to see it
Finished. Really nice work.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 07:30 AM

Looking great!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

A quick update:

At the moment work on this project has slowed down a bit. I am at the point where I'm spraying the clear but not to the point where I can start wet sanding an polishing. I'm using polyurethane for my clear & may end up doing it as a matte finish. For the moment it's been spray a coat or 2 of clear, a few days pass, then I get a chance to spray a little more clear.... rinse, lather, repeat No new pictures right now since not much has changed visualy from my last post.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 05:49 PM

That's actually very cool. Good job!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Updates:

I finally finished everything with the clear coats. When I was part way through spraying the clear I wasn't liking the way the sides of the body were looking. I don't think I level sanded the sanding sealer well enough the first time. So I ended up sanding all the clear & paint off the sides and redoing it. It came out alot better the second go round.

I used spray polyurethane for the clear and did it in a semi-gloss finish. I've been liking to do semi-gloss finishes over full gloss recently. To me it looks just as good as full gloss and the biggest thing is it DOES NOT show fingerprints. It drives me bug nuts (that's kinda like moth balls) to see finger prints on a shiny guitar.

I still have a few things to button up on the body (mainly drilling pilot holes & locating the bridge position) & some more work to do on the neck before I can start putting it all together. For the time being here some pics of a quick mock up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode