Toggle switching. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Toggle switching.

Hey guys. I'm having a spot of bother. I want to buy an Ibanez RG guitar as they are very versatile and I play Jazz, Rock, Metal and Country in various bands.
One thing I'm wanting to do is to be able to do the whole toggle switching thing a la Tom Morello as i'm hoping to start a RATM cover band.
Would it be possible to fit a killswitch to this guitar easily so I can make these sounds?
I don't want to wreck the guitar at all.
Alternatively can anyone recommend a versatile superstrat type guitar with 24 frets, locking trem and Killswitch/2 volumes and 3 way toggle.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Patrick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Dee

Re: Toggle switching.

It's easy to fit an on/off switch in line with the output jack, you won't wreck the guitar in any way. Easiest way is to mount the switch on the pickguard. I'd recommend an RG5xx series or higher. It doesn't have 2 x vol knobs, though.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man. I'll try that out when the guitar arrives.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:16 PM

Hmm... if you've got the basics of soldering down you could rewire it and remove the "Tone" pot to put a toggle in it's place, then you'll already have a hole. All you'd need to do is bore it out with a step up bit or something.

Cool idea for a project btw
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
It's easy to fit an on/off switch in line with the output jack, you won't wreck the guitar in any way. Easiest way is to mount the switch on the pickguard. I'd recommend an RG5xx series or higher. It doesn't have 2 x vol knobs, though.
ya this is your best bet i had a jackson that i did this to but to take it one step further you want a momentary switch not a toggle for 2 reasons if you plan to do alot of on/off action a toggle switch will break, and secondly you can do very cool buckethead jordan type licks with a momentary switch because with a momentary switch the signal is only killed while you have the button pushed in when you release pressure you have your signal back, meaning no accidental hitting and shutting off your guitar, this worked for me best just letting ya know.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Yeah. I think this will be my best bet as I don't want to disable te tone control (I'm one of these weird people that actually uses one :g).
Thanks for all the advice guys.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 11:34 AM

Yeah they're easy enough to wire in, just have to ground the 'hot' from the jack to kill the signal, i did one as a push/pull on my volume pot but its not the best thing for rage riffs, for that you'll need a mini toggle or a momentary switch like mrjakob69 said^
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Cheers dude. I've downloaded some wiring diagrams. This does seem like the most sensible option.
Thanks

Tags
mini toggle , toggle switch , tom morello

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode