Tokai Guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Tokai Guitars

What’s people’s general opinion of these guitars? I have heard from several people that for the money they are unbeatable and in some cases are actually better than those they are trying to mimic!

I'm particularly interested in the PRS copies; does anyone have any opinions of these?

Cheers

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 06:51 AM

Re: Tokai Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al M
What’s people’s general opinion of these guitars? I have heard from several people that for the money they are unbeatable and in some cases are actually better than those they are trying to mimic!

I'm particularly interested in the PRS copies; does anyone have any opinions of these?

Cheers

Al
Their PRS copies look very nice and with a Wilkinson VS50 trem . Do you know if they offer lefties of those .

Regards

André

Last edited by fettouhi; 08-19-2005 at 10:25 AM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 07:03 AM

I dont know too much about Tokia really, apart from their "Love Rock" series guitars are great! I played a Love Rock Les Paul briefly last year and I really liked it. I thought it was very good for the money, and comparable in quality to a Gibson. Especially the more recent Gibsons.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 07:12 AM

Reviews: 34

My guitar tech loves them, although I have never played one.

I believe that he thinks that there Les Paul copies are as good as (if not better than) the originals. I have definately played some Gibson Les Pauls that really sucked alot. The guy who owned it was all smug saying "I have a Les Paul, therefore I am a better guitar player than you with your rubbish LP copy", and I am thinking something like "this Les Paul is better than my guitar, but not a £1000 better".

I would definately have one. I think that PRS, and Gibson are over priced, I would almost take a copy over one of them so I didn't feel fleeced. I actually bought a 1980's korean copy, and it is genuinely really good. I couldnt see myself parting with that kind of money when you can buy better copies.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 11:57 AM

They're like Ibanez, basically. They have fantastic high end instruments and less fantastic lower end instruments. If they have multiple versions of a particular instrument the top of the line ones will be reliably high quality. I believe the PRS type with stoptail is the LR-30, with trem it is the LR-40. I haven't played one, but I've owned and played a number of Tokai's and the top line ones are very nice indeed.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe
My guitar tech loves them, although I have never played one.

I believe that he thinks that there Les Paul copies are as good as (if not better than) the originals. I have definately played some Gibson Les Pauls that really sucked alot. The guy who owned it was all smug saying "I have a Les Paul, therefore I am a better guitar player than you with your rubbish LP copy", and I am thinking something like "this Les Paul is better than my guitar, but not a £1000 better".

I would definately have one. I think that PRS, and Gibson are over priced, I would almost take a copy over one of them so I didn't feel fleeced. I actually bought a 1980's korean copy, and it is genuinely really good. I couldnt see myself parting with that kind of money when you can buy better copies.
Maybe you should check out the ibanez lawsuit series then and check out their les paul copys. You can get them that look Eerily close to a les paul standard.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 03:00 PM

I talked to some people in Japan (well emailed them really) and they said the Epiphone Elitest series is better than the the new Tokai. However the older Tokai guitars are the ones you want.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 08:18 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Maybe you should check out the ibanez lawsuit series then and check out their les paul copys. You can get them that look Eerily close to a les paul standard.
Are they set neck?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 08:49 AM

I think some of the Ibanezes were set-neck, but I am sure quite a lot of them were not. The thing with Tokais is that most of the newer models are made in a different factory (in Korea), than the older models. The older Japanese Love Rock models are thought of as very fine guitars, and they fetch pretty high prices thse days too.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 10:06 AM

If you are looking for a Japanese Les Paul copy, and not a Tokai PRS style LS guitar, then Orville, Burny, Greco, and Edwards all maker guitars worth considering. The original Tokai "Reborn" and Love Rock series LP copies are outstanding instruments, no doubt about it. There's lots of good Tokai info on their LP copies at tokairegistry.com, you should definitely look at that page before buying a Tokai LP.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 11:58 AM

Smile Re: Tokai Guitars

I have Tokai Strat and it's good guitar and i play it pretty much. I have played those Tokai Les Paul copys aka. Love Rock models and they are simply great guitars! They are best Les Paul copys, and about 1000 times better than crappy Epiphones. Going to get one!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 07:54 PM

i tried the LS-75 (pic below) & was thoroughly impressed by the feel & tone. it's equipped with a set of .009 as default, something i'm more comfortable with & it plays like a dream. getting it soon...

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 09:34 PM

I checked the website and this is the most despicable collection of gibson copies ever. There is almsot not one model which doesn't look like a G.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj
I checked the website and this is the most despicable collection of gibson copies ever. There is almsot not one model which doesn't look like a G.
What do you mean despicable? I've heard many say Gibson are just cheap Tokai copies recently . I'm really not a fan of gibson any, purly on principal. Also they're totally over priced :P
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:54 AM

Gibson makes a very fine archtop. For solidbodies, it's just romance that still has people buying Gibsons. Play an L4 or L5, and you'll be impressed.

Tags
gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , guitar tech , les paul , les paul standard , les pauls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode