Tom Anderson - Whoo hoo! *Got it - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Tom Anderson - Whoo hoo! Got it

Whoo hoo! Got it... (testing html picture/link posing...)

TA Classic... bonus features include a Wilkinson's trem, stacked humbuckers(the toggle switch selects between series and parallel, Sperzel locking tuners, Earvana nut(Earvana Home)... all and all great guitar.

(Edited by jay ratkowski at 1:17 am on Dec. 8, 2000)

Last edited by jay ratkowski; 12-31-2004 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 11:42 PM

Tom Anderson

Jay,

As a fellow chronic GAS sufferer, I congratulate you. I will be order an Anderson soon. See you in rehab.

BTW, if you don't mind me being too personal, how is your new earvana nut?

Rick
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Tom Anderson

I swear I posted a reply for this last night.... hmmm.

Anyways, the Earvana nut is really nice. *I get pretty annoyed by the overall intonation on guitars and other fretted instruments. *Especially when you get into the Floyd Rose and locking nut realm. *The Earvana blows those things away when you're playing chords, especially open string ones. *I haven't done a lot of comparison between the Earvana and something like a Buzz Feiten system, as I haven't had the TA for long at all. *

As I'm typing this, I'm doing some intonation tests with the TA. *I've got it running into my Korg DTR-1. *It's not the most exact tuner available, but you can tell if your a few cents off. *According to it, right now all my strings are as "in tune" as I can get them(maybe .5-1 cent(s) off). *The numbers here are how far off the intonation is at the 12ths fret compared to the open string... and the octave of the higher string(asside from the high E of course). *I have yet to do any intonnation work, so the figures might not be as good as they can be, but you can get the idea I think. *I don't have exact numbers, because my tuner doesn't give me exact numbers, also it changes depending on how much pressure you apply to the fret, but I try to use my normal finger pressure(which is very light).

Low E * *fret 12 = +/- 0-1 cents * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *A fret 7 = + 0-0.5 cents
A * * * * * *fret 12 = -0-1.5 cents(this one needs work) * *D fret 7 = +/- 0-0.5 cents
D * * * * * *fret 12 = +0-0.5 cents * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *G fret 7 = 0-1 cents
G * * * * * *fret 12 = -0-1 cents * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *B fret 8 = -0-1 cents
B * * * * * *fret 12 = -0-1 cents * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *E fret 7 = -0-0.5 cents
High E * *fret 12 = +/-0-0.5 cents

And now the infamous open D chord test... this is always the one that gets me.
Open D string = "perfectly" in tune
A on G string * = +0-0.5 cents
D on B string * = -0-1 cents
F# on E string = -0-1 cents.
Not bad, but like I said, I haven't done anything to the intonation yet. *The strings are 10's and I haven't changed them yet either, but they are fairly new.

Also, here are prices forr Earvana nuts:
Fender compatible or Gibson compatible (inclues 1 base, 1 top & 5 screws 1-5/8" or 1-11/16" wide) * *$24.95
Tops only (available in 4 different heights) * *$14.95
Base Only (available in 4 different heights) * *$12.95
CD Kit (inc 4 tops, 2 bases, fret gauge, tuner software, 5 screw & driver, adapter, decal) * *$49.95
Fret Gauge * *$2.50

So, I think this is VERY cheap, the Fender Roller nuts are like $40 aren't they? *And they don't do much for intonation if you ask me. *

I sure hope this helped.

(Edited by jay ratkowski at 8:59 am on Dec. 9, 2000)
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 09:41 AM

Tom Anderson

Nice axe, jay!

I would LOVE a Tom Anderson... they make a killer-looking 7-string, too.

Check out this beauty.

Make mine a hollow Drop Top 7 (maple or walnut on basswood) in Tiger Eye Burst!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 12:31 AM

Tom Anderson

Tom Anderson actually doesn't make 7 string guitars anymore. This had something to do with the ever changing neck specs. I am glad to see them put all of their energy into six strings. I believe if you go to the website andersonguitars.com you will find a bit more information.

As for earvana, check out their website as well. I believe their system to be very user friendly, and inexpensive. Hopefully you can also find somebody to INSTALL it that is also user friendly ACCURATE and inexpensive.
The looped fret is pretty neat.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Tom Anderson

User friendly techs? *hehe... well, if you say so...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 11:50 AM

Tom Anderson

Sadly, it's true. Quoted from the Tom Anderson site:
Quote:
7-String Bulletin:We have decided not to continue offering our amazing 7-String instruments at this time. We made this decision based on the fact that our 7-String guitars require twice as much build time as does a 6-String. This is due to the different width sizing of the 7s. We will continue to honor the orders that are currently in existence with customers and our dealers. With these wonderful instruments now being in very limited supply, the demand is great. If you would like one perhaps you can get you name on a guitar scheduled for a dealer. It could be your only chance to own one.
What a disappointment. I really had my heart set on owning one of these beauties one day.

*sigh*

I guess there's always Schecter.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 12:22 PM

Tom Anderson

I wonder how they manupulated the Buzz Feiten system to accomodate the seven string guitar.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Tom Anderson

That's a good question... is there a Buzz Feiten for 7-string? *I'd really like a GOOD fixed bridge 7 one day... a Feiten system would be great. *Anyone know the difference?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 03:06 AM

Tom Anderson

I almost bought an Anderson a loooong time ago (at the '89 NAMM show) I kind of wish I had.

I never did get the two-strap-button thing tho.

And that sure is a pretty 7, shame they won't be making them anymore...
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 10:44 AM

Tom Anderson

Yeah... it sure is sweet-looking.

For what it's worth, though, the Schecter CET (Classic Exotic Top) customs look very similar to some of Tom Anderson's work... i wonder if Anderson maybe even still has a relationship with his former employer and perhaps does some sub-contract work for them. Some of the Schecters even have the dual strap pins on their butt end.

On a whim, i put in a request for a quote on a hollow-body 7-string exotic top from Schecter (with a Sustainiac Stealth, of course!) just to see what the price range might be.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 09:20 PM

Tom Anderson

One more Jem and then I will be Anderson shopping. Those are quite nice to say the least. Too bad on the 7s though, I'll bet they are the best playing on the market.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 01:20 PM

Tom Anderson

I believe they installed the two strap locks so that you won't damage the guitar when leaning it up against amps, walls, etc. Not unlike the Holdsworth Carvin.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Tom Anderson

I must be going crazy... I swear I posted this already....

A lot of slightly more expensive straps have two holes on the tail end of the guitar.... This just keeps the guitar more stable. *I only use one of the stap buttons though.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 10:29 AM

Tom Anderson

I have a guitar made by Tom Anderson when he was at Schecter back in the mid-70s - it's basically a Strat copy with two Tom Anderson humbuckers, Schaller locking tuners and brass hardware. The original brass guard and two (very) hand made Anderson pups have been replaced with a birdseye maple guard and a pair of later (post Schecter) Tom Anderson pickups (I have the original guard and pups as well). The guitar is an AMAZING player. The neck and body are each made from ONE piece of walnut and finished in carnuba wax - it scary how beautiful this instrument is, without any fancy woods or glossy finish. It only weighs in at about 9 lbs., playes beautifully, and is a tone monster! I had put it up for trade earlier trying to find another JEM, but fortunately had no takers, because I was playing it last night and realized that I must be mad if I'm thinking of letting it go

Tags
buzz feiten , buzz feiten system , feiten system , fixed bridge , floyd rose , korg dtr , locking nut , locking tuners , schaller locking , schaller locking tuners , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners , strap lock , strap locks , string guitars , toggle switch , tone monster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode