Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  The Dark Wolf 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I need some direction on pickups.. I swapping the pickups in my rg8527. In the neck i'm putting an Air Norton 7 and in the bridge .. I've been debating the Tone Zone and the Evolution. I'm a virtuoso style player.. satch, vai, petrucci, eric johnson, etc.

what do you guys think is a better pickup for my style??

I'm playing Marshal TSLs right now but I'm thinking of buying a Mesa Mark IV.

any info would help a lot guys... thank

#7 ·
It's mahogany with an 1/8 inch Flame top. bolt on maple neck. i'm basically looking for a pickup that isn't going to make the tone muddy. i'm not looking to steal or completely reproduce anyone's tone. basically just looking for a way to get a crisp/clear nice lead tone from my guitar. the pickups in it just aren't cutting it..

#8 ·
I have the TZ-7 in a mahogany RG, and I think some would call it "muddy." I like it, but to ANYONE who used the description you used I would say, EVO-7. EASY. It's hot, but apparently very clear and articulate.

Myself, I really want to try out a JB-7 in mahogany. The JB ROCKS, I mean, just kills, in mahogany. It'd be nice to see what the 7-string version does.

#9 ·
I would be one of those who would opt for something besides the TZ in mahogany. It's just too warm to work well in it. I would also think the EVO would be a bit too mid-heavy in mahogany. What I would use would probably be a Lundgren Model M. I used to have one in my RG, but it was a tad too scooped for me in basswood, which would mean it would work pretty well in mahogany. It did sound great for lead, and would probably sound even better in mahogany.

#10 ·
Good point, Grindfiend. I've never played a Lundgren, but I've heard sound samples, as well as hearing 'NOthing' from Meshuggah, and that M model sounds pretty good. I'm betting it would be good in mahogany.

Since he asked for either the TZ-7 or EVO-7, well, he's probably looking more for the EVO-7. But the Lundgren is a great idea. It's not that the TZ sounds bad in mahogany... it doesn't. Just not everybody's cup of tea. Myself, I have the AN-7 in the neck, and I'd say I'm 99% happy with that. It's near flawless. I'd say I'm 85% happy with the TZ-7. I like it, but I'm curious about something else. I think the perfect setup would be a longer scale, ebony board, maple/mahogany body, and JB-7/'59-7 combo (6 string '59 sounds similar to me to my AN) . PERFECT.

Might have to try that Lundgren.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.