Tone Zone/Air Norton on my rg120 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Talking Tone Zone/Air Norton on my rg120

Hello,
I am looking to replace the stock pickups on my rg120 and have noticed that the Tone Zone/Air Norton is the prefered choice. I have never changed pickups and I am wondering how hard is it to do? Also, these pickups will cost about $120, is it worth it? I am looking for a versatile guitar for modern rock/nu-metal such as Korn, Linkin Park, and Ill Nino. The reason I want to upgrade my pickups is that the stock ones can't handle my shred/lead parts of my bands music. For some reason they can't play two high notes at the same time and thats not good enough for me.

I believe these are the two pickups that I am looking for... correct me if I am wrong. Also, whats the difference between F-space and regular on the Air Norton?

ITEM #s on Musicians Friend
---------------------------

PS: I am selling my RG350DX on .e.b.a.y. in two weeks. All specs are online and the auction will have no reserve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 04:15 PM

Re: Tone Zone/Air Norton on my rg120

I'm a PAF Pro fan myself (Tone Zone-PAF Pro or even two PAF Pros).

You play very different music than me though, you might prefer something louder and meaner like a Super Distotion / PAF Pro too? ... just an observation.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 01:23 PM

the only difference between an f-spaced air norton and a regular air norton is the distance between the pole pieces. other than that they sound exactly the same.

I'm not liking the air norton right now. it's great for picking stuff, each picked note is very articulate. but with noodly legato playing, it lacks powerm at least in my experience. i think I'm gonna change my air norton to PAFpro.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 02:48 PM

Get an F-spaced for the bridge and a regular spaced for the neck. If you do it keep the original pickups, that way if you sell the guitar to upgrade down the road you can put the originals back in and not lose money on the Dimarzios. Just slap them into your new guitar.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,

I asked DiMarzio what they thought and this is what they said...

"You might try an F-spaced Evolution neck model (DP158F) in the neck position and an F-spaced Evo 2 (DP215F) in the bridge position."

Anyone had experience with these pickups?
icechest
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:36 AM

Evolution neck is an excellent neck pickup. doesn't get muddy, sweet top end, tight bass, good midrange. the Evo 2 sounds better than the Evolution for heavy riffs, to me. the evolution is too trebly and doesnt have as much 'chug' as the Evo 2.

Tags
air norton , bridge position , evolution neck , neck pickup , neck position , paf pro , paf pros , tight bass , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode