Too Long? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Too Long?

Is 28-5/8"-scale too long for drop-C tuning? I ask because I'm considering having my next guitar be a customized baritone scale guitar using a Warmoth conversion neck. More specifically:

With a Warmoth baritone neck, and a replacement pickup or two (DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and maybe a Sustainiac in the neck eventually).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 03:49 PM

Personally, i dunno about the neck scales but i will say this about the pickups. There are a lot better pickups than the super distortion for dropped tuning. You could try a drop sonic.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 04:27 PM

28 5/8" isn't too long, as long as you're putting lighter strings on it. Stick with .009s or .010s and you should be fine. The Mike Mushok model is 28" and it comes tuned standard to B, doesn't it?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
28 5/8" isn't too long, as long as you're putting lighter strings on it. Stick with .009s or .010s and you should be fine. The Mike Mushok model is 28" and it comes tuned standard to B, doesn't it?
Yea I think so. I think he's got a 29 or 30"-er that he uses too.

As for the pickups: I'm already using a Super Distortion in my Strat and I love the sound, and I'd want to stick with the same pickup to keep the sound consistent when I switch guitars.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 03:54 PM

Hmmmm as far as having a consistent sound the longer scale is gonna make the two guitars like night and day. The longer scale is going to resonate complete different and have a totally different tone.\

Anybody agree?

But as they say, go with what ya know, and if you know super dists rock (which they do ) go for that. I have a Super Distortion in my custom made soloist and the thing cranks out like a motha.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Oh, of course it'd sound different. But I already have trouble finding patches on my Flextone II that sound good with both my Strat (with the Super Distortion) and my Schecter Revenger-7 because they have such different sounding pickups.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 05:16 PM

Celebrate their differences! Why would you want all of your guitars to sound the same?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Celebrate their differences! Why would you want all of your guitars to sound the same?
Oh, of course That's why I'm not going out and buying another Strat with a Super Distortion in it anytime soon I'm all for differences, but lately my Schecter's been sounding bad to my ears mainly. Just a little too muddy. I love the clarity I get from the Super Distortion.

The main reason I'm considering this project is that in my band I play in drop-C all the time right now and don't use the 7-string at all yet. So I'd like to have another 6-string eventually as a backup/something different. Because I do use my Strat's neck and middle pickups as well, but on some songs all I need is a good loud bridge pickup.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 06:59 PM

Rather than spend money on another guitar, why not upgrade the pickups in your Schecter?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Rather than spend money on another guitar, why not upgrade the pickups in your Schecter?
I plan to as well, I was just commenting on why I'd stick to similar sounding pickups since I've found one I like the sound of already.

7-string pickups are another story, as I have very little experience with anything other than the stock Schecters

Tags
bridge pickup , darren wilson , dimarzio super distortion , mike mushok , neck scale , schecter revenger , string pickup , string pickups , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode