tooled up squier? - Page 4 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Re: tooled up squier?

''The AB (Afterburner) is a push/pull booster with up to 20dB of preset variable gain, perfect for having fun with clean overdrive and distortion. It works with both active and passive pickups, uses rail-to-rail technology, and is easy to install. If you're a lead player, the Afterburner is for you.''

^^

the guitar that i'm gonna get comes with the AB, its an older model of the 200 series. i not gonna get actives.

agathis is similar to mahogany's..right? so it gives a warmish tone =S?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Dee

Yeah, agathis is related to mahogany. Generally it is used for budget instruments, and for many people is not so desirable. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the myth of tonewoods, though. On an amplified electric guitar, the wood makes very little difference. What makes a difference is the hands that put the instrument together. Better luthier = better guitar.
post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 12:02 PM

i had a squier strat for home warmup and practise
well, i chuck in a set of kent armstrong pickups (i got it really cheap) and the sound is comparable to a jap strat...and the neck is really worn it too so it feels really nice

they are nice low end guitars, its jsut a matter of luck to pick up a good necked one, and i think i did
post #49 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Yeah, agathis is related to mahogany. Generally it is used for budget instruments, and for many people is not so desirable. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the myth of tonewoods, though. On an amplified electric guitar, the wood makes very little difference. What makes a difference is the hands that put the instrument together. Better luthier = better guitar.
Actually, the type of wood can make a very BIG difference in the tonality of the instrument. Kinda partial to alder, myself.
post #50 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Dee

I know some people will disagree, but I go along with the line of thinking in this article: http://www.guitarnation.com/articles/calkin.htm

For acoustics, basses, and guitars using a strictly clean sound, yes, body woods might make a difference. To a distorted guitar tone (which is what most of us use, face it), there's not so much influence on tone. Even less so when using active pickups such as EMG's.

As I said, I know some people will disagree, but do me a favour -- take part in a blind listening test. I bet no one here could tell the difference between a basswood bodied guitar, an alder one, a mahogany, an ash, etc., if that guitar was fitted with the exact same electronics and fed through the same amp. Don't say "I could tell the difference!" because I won't believe it.

I was recenetly on another forum where a $100 bass was compared with a 1960's Fender Precision. A guy posted 2 sound clips. Almost everyone got it wrong saying "yeah, clip 1 is the Fender", when it was actually the P-bass copy.
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

lol?

I'm planning to get another guitar after this(like years)

at the moment i use lots of distortion and play metal and hard rock.

i going to use to different guitars for the 2 sounds i want to achieve.

distortion from the esp ltd
and clean from fender fat strat.

for now the esp since its cheaper, like half the price.
post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I know some people will disagree, but I go along with the line of thinking in this article: http://www.guitarnation.com/articles/calkin.htm

For acoustics, basses, and guitars using a strictly clean sound, yes, body woods might make a difference. To a distorted guitar tone (which is what most of us use, face it), there's not so much influence on tone. Even less so when using active pickups such as EMG's.

As I said, I know some people will disagree, but do me a favour -- take part in a blind listening test. I bet no one here could tell the difference between a basswood bodied guitar, an alder one, a mahogany, an ash, etc., if that guitar was fitted with the exact same electronics and fed through the same amp. Don't say "I could tell the difference!" because I won't believe it.

I was recenetly on another forum where a $100 bass was compared with a 1960's Fender Precision. A guy posted 2 sound clips. Almost everyone got it wrong saying "yeah, clip 1 is the Fender", when it was actually the P-bass copy.

Well, yeah, when you add distortion into the mix, the wood-type DOES become less important, ESPECIALLY with active pickups. More distortion even lessens the tonal differences. However, I'm willing to bet there are some of us (especially the more "seasoned" ones) that would be able to notice the difference, small as it may be.
Now, as for the "challenge": I'd LOVE to be able to actually do that, and put a final nail in the coffin that is this sort of debate. However, good luck (for ME, at least), being able to conjure up a half dozen or so practically-identical guitars, with only wood-type being the difference. If someone has plenty of time - and money - to burn, please, by all means, do it.
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 04:23 PM

hey if anyone else is thinking of doing a projest guitar and cant afford a strat, try a sunn mustang on the bay, i got one for 40 bones! the neck is great it must be one piece of wood away from birds eye maple! its all fender parts, glued together in china the pickups suck a bit but, i take it to jams and if it gets dumped or dropped or for that matter catches fire, who cares i spent 40 bones a few hours sanding a few hour spraying then gun oiling the neck and shes smooth as, then i took to her with a screwdriver and a few random metal objects and some dirt. i stopped short of fire this time.... so far. i was going to decal but who cares.

(Not linked)
who going to be first to say get the matches out! lol
post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 12:44 AM
Dee

Those Sunn Strats are well known for having atrocious necks that bend and twist beyond repair! You're lucky to get a decent one. I actually threw one of these guitars away last month, it was so bad. My girlfriend owned it for a long time and it was always really bad.
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 05:27 AM

That's like the old Harmony Les Paul copies. I had one (first guitar) that played beautifully, but my neighbor's played like absolute crap.
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:

hey im not so sure about that, well to an extent :P But it would be noticable going from basswood to mahogany (i certainly noticed), well this was on a clean channel :P distorted might be a tad harder to tell....
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 09:28 AM
Dee

Yeah, there is a difference in tone acoustically and maybe using a clean signal. I noticed the difference in tone when I bought my RG3120 (mahogany and maple) after I played nothing but basswood RG's for 19 years, but distorted/overdriven? Not really. Strumming the 3120 without it being plugged in, I noticed it was a little brighter sounding than my basswood RG's, but on the other hand, the RG550 20th Anni I have now sounds very bright too, very similar to the RG3120. I think if I put a Tone Zone pickup in the 550 it'd sound identical. It happens to be a very heavy piece of basswood too. Much heavier than the older 550 and 750.

I think what makes more of a difference than many people realize is the fretboard wood. Maple gives a guitar a bright sound compared to rosewood. But body woods, I am not buying into the "tonewood" hype. Apologies to all the guitar companies, you're not fooling me with your sales techniques! It's all about pickups and amps. That's where the real differences lie.
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 09:18 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Sorry Dee, I disagree! My American Alder bodied RG style custom sounds a lot brighter than my basswood bodied RG (same neck and fretboard timber) playing through the same amp and tone settings with an EMG 81 selected in the bridge position. I believe the EMGs can make the tonal difference even more apparent than passive pickups, and I know others who believe so too.

Tags
alder bodied , bridge position , david mccarroll , dimarzio humbuckers , eddie van halen , electric guitar , fat strat , fender fat strat , fender strat , floyd rose , floyd rose bridge , fretboard wood , les paul , pro neck , squier strat , tone zone , truss rod , van halen , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode