tooled up squier? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

tooled up squier?

well im planning to get a new guitar, but if i don't, i want to tool up my squire.

like give it a emg SV set and a floyd rose bridge.

would you think its worth it? or just get a new guitar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Dee

Re: tooled up squier?

Depends. Do you like the playability of the Squier? Is the neck good? Then by all means make those upgrades / mods.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

i really like the esp ltd m200, m201 and the m400. id rather that over the squire.

the only thing i dislike about the squire is the fat neck and maybe the pickups.
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 11:45 AM

I suggest getting a Warmoth (www.warmoth.com) replacement neck and change the pickups to whatever you like, I personally am partial to Dimarzio humbuckers and Fender Hot Noiseless or Fat '50s pickups. EMGs are nice, but not my "bag o' chips".
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilearnt View Post
i really like the esp ltd m200, m201 and the m400. id rather that over the squire.

the only thing i dislike about the squire is the fat neck and maybe the pickups.
Well in my opinion, any guitar is only as good as it's neck. Don't like the Squier neck? Then you probably will never be happy with the guitar.

I would never recommend ESP LTD stuff, and for what it's worth I don't like EMG pickups. I would sell the Squier, save the cash you planned for the upgrades and buy a used Japan-built Ibanez RG with the money.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 11:57 AM

i got a squier strat that had a crack in the body.. fixed it up.. put some 69 buckers in it, new pickguard, pots, etc etc etc, schallers.. sold it.. great guitar
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

whats the beef with esp ltds?
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 12:52 PM

Wouldnt the EMGs cost more than the guitar is worth?

Personally, there's no reason to spend a dollar improving a dime.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 03:44 PM

Dude, seriously, what is your problem with cheaper guitars, more specifically, squiers? Seems like anytime someone mentions them, you are right there, slagging them, in some way. What are you? A gear snob? If people like Squiers, let em like em. Try being supportive.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 03:44 PM

Reviews: 130

I don't know--I received a Squier Bullet (3-singles) as a gift. I had it professionally set up and put in a set of Dimarzio Virtual Vintage single-coils. That guitar plays and sounds awesome now.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx2k View Post
Dude, seriously, what is your problem with cheaper guitars, more specifically, squiers? Seems like anytime someone mentions them, you are right there, slagging them, in some way. What are you? A gear snob? If people like Squiers, let em like em. Try being supportive.
No need to insult him. He's right.

Money you spend polishing a turd could be better spent improving upon your rig. Whether it be saving for a new amp, or effects, or whatever. Especially when the mods are drastic, like installing a Floyd Rose and EMG's.

He is being supportive, by advising him not to waste his money.

Ultimately, it's his decision, but he could be saving for something much better.

Besides, the threadstarter asked whether or not he should improve his Squier, or just get a new guitar. He didn't say he was definitely going to mod it, he just wanted our opinions.

Last edited by Salamander In The Sun; 06-07-2007 at 04:06 PM.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 04:08 PM

Thanks Sits. No problem with cheap gutiars, but why put $200 pickups in a $150 guitar? Plus spend atleast another $200 on a floyd and getting it routed?
Why blow sunshine up the guys ass and tell him it's a good idea and let him throw money away like that. He ASKED if it was worth it, I said PERSONALLY it's not. I wasnt aware I needed your permission to say I didnt like something. I will PM you before I post next time.

Gear snob? Probably, but I'm also someone that went down the road of throwing good money after bad and looking back,wish I wouldve known better

Last edited by elcid; 06-07-2007 at 04:16 PM.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Thanks Sits. No problem with cheap gutiars, but why put $200 pickups in a $150 guitar? Plus spend atleast another $200 on a floyd and getting it routed?
Why blow sunshine up the guys ass and tell him it's a good idea and let him throw money away like that. He ASKED if it was worth it, I said PERSONALLY it's not. I wasnt aware I needed your permission to say I didnt like something. I will PM you before I post next time.
No problem. I wouldn't come to your defense if you weren't right. Anyways, you seem to be a pretty knowledgeable guy, so I'd be inclined to believe what you say if I didn't know otherwise.
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 04:26 PM

The part that always kills me is if you advise someone not to throw money away, then your a snob and an *******, but if someone with cheap gear says that expensive gear isnt worth it, he's right and everyone has to chip in with "My $200 XXX is way better than a $2000 YYY" and no one wants to call that person a gear snob or (probably more accurately) uninformed (not stupid)or just plain jealous.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
The part that always kills me is if you advise someone not to throw money away, then your a snob and an *******, but if someone with cheap gear says that expensive gear isnt worth it, he's right and everyone has to chip in with "My $200 XXX is way better than a $2000 YYY" and no one wants to call that person a gear snob or (probably more accurately) uninformed (not stupid)or just plain jealous.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm inclined to think that the majority of people who say their cheap gear is better than your more expensive gear are just defending their bad purchases, or have never played a guitar better than their cheapie.

There's a reason people are ready to pay ridiculous sums of money for good guitars (PRS, Gibson, ESP, Ibanez, etc.) and high end amps (Mesa, Marshall, Bogner, etc.). The reason being, that it's superior gear.

Don't get me wrong, I love cheap gear. If it weren't for cheap gear, the majority of us probably wouldn't have even picked up the guitar, but at a certain point you have to realize that you need to upgrade your rig, because your Squier or GIO Ibanez is holding you back. Cheap, crappy sounding gear just isn't very inspiring.

Tags
alder bodied , bridge position , david mccarroll , dimarzio humbuckers , eddie van halen , electric guitar , fat strat , fender fat strat , fender strat , floyd rose , floyd rose bridge , fretboard wood , les paul , pro neck , squier strat , tone zone , truss rod , van halen , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode