Top, back and sides differences between Artcore AS73 and AS93 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Top, back and sides differences between Artcore AS73 and AS93

On the Ibanez literature, the AS73 has laminated maple top, back and sides and the AS93 does but with addition of flamed maple.

That is clear to see but on the back of the guitar, on the inside chamber of the higher end AS93, there appears to be a brown mahogany inner layer as opposed to the white maple layer that is on my AS73's back. This is the inner layer where the oval paper label is affixed to.

Of course, facing the outside, both surfaces are the highly poly finished maple, but in the laminates, the AS93 has that inner chamber that is clearly different with at least one mahogany layer in the laminate.

Below are a couple of links where one can see what appears to be a mahogany layer in the laminate where the oval Ibanez Artcore sticker supposed to be.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&c...:20,s:36,i:261

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&c...9,r:5,s:0,i:97

Is that what AS93 owners have found consistently?

That being said, I wouldn't think the addition of more than one type of wood on the thin laminate of the body on a semi-hollowbody electric guitar will make that much tonal difference. It's just a curious thing I have seen on one AS93 guitar and in pictures on the internet.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 09-05-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Re: Top, back and sides differences between Artcore AS73 and AS93

Anyway, here's an official Ibanez photo of the interior of an AS73 similar to mine with the maple inside chamber:

Last edited by 63Blazer; 09-05-2012 at 11:02 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 05:57 AM

I own 10 Artcore guitars AS, AG, AF and AFS from the 75 to the 105 level.
It's all for looks not for tone really.
They all sound the same unplugged and plugged in to my ears, 75 level or 105 level.
I like the bracing Ibanez uses because their guitars are a lot more acoustic than the Gretsch guitars I own.
Gretsch guitars have a big block of wood like a 2x4 that goes between the top and back of the body, effectively killing all acoustic properties.
They do this for two reasons.

1 To keep the top from sinking because their bracing design won't hold the top up like the Ibanez bracing does.
2 The reduction of acoustic properties reduces feedback, especially at high volumes or with higher levels of distortion.

The thinner the body is, like an Ibanez AS or AFS, the less chance you're going to get feedback.
In the old days, guys would stuff rags inside the body to keep them from feeding back when playing live.

If you need any more info on Ibanez Artcore guitars or Archtops / Semi-Hollow bodies, let me know.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
I own 10 Artcore guitars AS, AG, AF and AFS from the 75 to the 105 level.
It's all for looks not for tone really.
They all sound the same unplugged and plugged in to my ears, 75 level or 105 level.
I like the bracing Ibanez uses because their guitars are a lot more acoustic than the Gretsch guitars I own.
Gretsch guitars have a big block of wood like a 2x4 that goes between the top and back of the body, effectively killing all acoustic properties.
They do this for two reasons.

1 To keep the top from sinking because their bracing design won't hold the top up like the Ibanez bracing does.
2 The reduction of acoustic properties reduces feedback, especially at high volumes or with higher levels of distortion.

The thinner the body is, like an Ibanez AS or AFS, the less chance you're going to get feedback.
In the old days, guys would stuff rags inside the body to keep them from feeding back when playing live.

If you need any more info on Ibanez Artcore guitars or Archtops / Semi-Hollow bodies, let me know.
Thank you on the info.

My hollowbody has that really dead sounding middle sustain block which is at least great for controlling it in front of the Marshalls. I have made it feedback though at an outdoor gig where it was loud. I was using 11 flatwounds, JCM 900, and one of the two 4x12 cabinets, but right behind me on small stage. Indoors though in heavily padded home studio, there's no feedback on any JCM there (800, 900, 2000) and they work even with an 8x12 stacked format with the AS73.

I prefer small amps but those big ones are the drummer's stuff set up on either side of his drumset and it aids in his preference to play loud so whoever jams with him has the amps. I like my solidbody ESP, which is a better guitar all around, but the Artcore is more fun. I could see myself doing everything with Artcores, even strat/tele work if they would put out something with single coils, too.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 09-05-2012 at 10:35 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

As for something that Ibanez could make in the Artcore line, I would like to see something like an Artcore AWD with this type of setup of two or three single coil pickups, but in a Talman shape:

Last edited by 63Blazer; 09-11-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode