Totally customizing the RBM1 or a custom PGM? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
RCB

Totally customizing the RBM1 or a custom PGM?

Well, yesterday I received the S470 that was completely customized (bird eye maple top, bird eye maple neck with walnut stripes, etc, etc, etc. If anyone is interested, you can see the whole details in the other thread).

I was going to make a custom made hybrid between a blackmachine and a PGM90. I havent completely abandon the idea, but another option came across my mind.

I own an RBM1 that I dont play too much (well, as a matter of fact the guitar is in argentina, and Im living in mexico for the moment), but I really love that guitar because it was my first good Ibanez. Its a 1992 RBM1BK (black with gold mirrored pickguard, and gold Lo Pro Edge and hardware). This far, the only mod it has is a Di Marzio Megadrive in the bridge position.

Since the work in the S came out so well, I decided to customize the RBM1.

The mods will be:

1) Custom Pau Ferro neck (i havent decided is a want a Pau Ferro or ebony freatboard). I may add 2 stripes of ebony or maple to the neck, just for the aesthetical appeal. I havent decided about the inlays, but Im leaning towars a bird eye maple inlays (the design is undecided).

2) Since the body is made of mahogany, my idea is to add a wallnut root burl top (2 mm), giving a natural (clearcoated) finish to the whole body.

The other option, the Black machine/PGM custom would have similar wood choices.

1) Same neck woods (I havent decided if its going to be set in or bolt on)

2) Same top, with the F holes made of another exotic wood inlayed in the body (it has to be very clear or very very dark to contrast with the top)

3) 30 mm slim body

4) ebony binding on the body (undecided yet)

5) The back of the body would be made of a strange black tropical wood (I dont recall the name, but I saw it yesterday and thought it looked very cool), or mahogany.

6) striged through fixed bridge (GOTOH). Gold.

7) H-H configuration (super 3 and Paf Pro)

Sperzel locking tuners (gold)

Customizing the RBM1 would cost about U$S 350-450 (depending on the inlays)

Making the custom PGM would cost about U$S1000

The prices of luthier labour are very cheap here, even though they make an amazing work.

What would you choose? Would you customize the RBM1 or would you go for the custom PGM?

Any suggestions about the undecided features (inlays, body binding, etc)?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
RCB

There is a third option.....

A black machine/virtual jem hybrid.

1) same wood necks (pau ferro with 2 stripes of maple).

2) Ebony freat board with a bird eye maple vine (translucent green or orange stained or clearcoated).

3) Natural finished mahogany body with wallnut root burl top, with bird eye maple leafs inlayed. Some exotic wood pickguard with cut off leaves (may be the pickguard could be also clearcoated on a translucent green or orange).

4) Fixed bridge (les paul type)

5) sperzel locking tuners

The idea of the inlayed leaves on the body and cut off leaves on the pickguard is inspired in this virtual jem design. I would love to use a metal pickguard but the Luthier doesnt have the kind of machine needed to cut this kind of desing on metal.

http://www.jemsite.com/dl/virtualjem...<br /> <br />http://www.jemsite.com/dl/virtualjem/vjems020.jpg

It wont have a monkey grip because it disrupts the desing of the inlayed leaves IMHO.

Now, this guitar will cost at least U$S1100-1300, so I will have to let go the RGT (as a matter of fact, making the custom PGM would also require this).

Do you think its worth it?

Tags
bridge position , fixed bridge , les paul , locking tuners , mahogany body , maple neck , mirrored pickguard , monkey grip , paf pro , pro edge , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode