Well, yesterday I received the S470 that was completely customized (bird eye maple top, bird eye maple neck with walnut stripes, etc, etc, etc. If anyone is interested, you can see the whole details in the other thread).
I was going to make a custom made hybrid between a blackmachine and a PGM90. I havent completely abandon the idea, but another option came across my mind.
I own an RBM1 that I dont play too much (well, as a matter of fact the guitar is in argentina, and Im living in mexico for the moment), but I really love that guitar because it was my first good Ibanez. Its a 1992 RBM1BK (black with gold mirrored pickguard, and gold Lo Pro Edge and hardware). This far, the only mod it has is a Di Marzio Megadrive in the bridge position.
Since the work in the S came out so well, I decided to customize the RBM1.
The mods will be:
1) Custom Pau Ferro neck (i havent decided is a want a Pau Ferro or ebony freatboard). I may add 2 stripes of ebony or maple to the neck, just for the aesthetical appeal. I havent decided about the inlays, but Im leaning towars a bird eye maple inlays (the design is undecided).
2) Since the body is made of mahogany, my idea is to add a wallnut root burl top (2 mm), giving a natural (clearcoated) finish to the whole body.
The other option, the Black machine/PGM custom would have similar wood choices.
1) Same neck woods (I havent decided if its going to be set in or bolt on)
2) Same top, with the F holes made of another exotic wood inlayed in the body (it has to be very clear or very very dark to contrast with the top)
3) 30 mm slim body
4) ebony binding on the body (undecided yet)
5) The back of the body would be made of a strange black tropical wood (I dont recall the name, but I saw it yesterday and thought it looked very cool), or mahogany.
6) striged through fixed bridge (GOTOH). Gold.
7) H-H configuration (super 3 and Paf Pro)
Sperzel locking tuners (gold)
Customizing the RBM1 would cost about U$S 350-450 (depending on the inlays)
Making the custom PGM would cost about U$S1000
The prices of luthier labour are very cheap here, even though they make an amazing work.
What would you choose? Would you customize the RBM1 or would you go for the custom PGM?
Any suggestions about the undecided features (inlays, body binding, etc)?