Trade offer for my JEM - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Trade offer for my JEM

Hi all, I have a 1988 Ibanez JEM DY in pretty decent shape. It is a player of course, as they all were from that time frame. It has the original hardshell case. I have been offered a PRS McCarty with birds and a 10 top. Humbucker pickups for my JEM + $450. Is that a good deal? I welcome opinions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Vendor

Re: Trade offer for my JEM

This is the third thread you've started in 5 minutes about this guitar. Please do not spam the board, pick one thread and use that one only.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

I'm very sorry. I'm a newbie. Trying to get my post count up a bit, and I actually didn't realize that was noticeable by others.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 09:01 PM

Keep the JEM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

why so, replica?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 PM

At this point the JEM, even in player condition, is rare and hard to find. PRS McCartys are everywhere. I'd keep the JEM, even if you don't play it. And if you need a different guitar for your everyday player or whatever the case may be, try finding another way to get ahold of something.

Keep it while you've got it, because you never know when you'll want to have a JEM again, let alone be able to get one.

I speak from experience.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Words of great wisdom, my friend. I have been hearing that from plenty of people. Also been hearing "PRS are amazing! Do it!" But I really do believe the JEM will be very valuable one day. It isn't in bad condition really. About like most of them are 25 years later. Surprisingly, my dream guitar is not an Ibanez or even a PRS McCarty. I'd kill for a PRS Al DiMeola Prism, but other than that, a good American Deluxe Tele is what I want.

http://s1308.beta.photobucket.com/us...y/Ibanez%20JEM
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicManMichael View Post
It isn't in bad condition really.
Sorry dude but I looked at the pics and that guitar has been rode hard and put away wet. It has more pock marks than Rosie O'donnells thighs. It has more bumps and bruises than Tina Tuner. It has taken more hits than Rhianna.

In that shape your lucky to get $1500 and more likely $1200.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

CosmicDebris, most of them I've seen are that way. I've only seen a handful in better condition honestly. Do you think I should do the trade?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 PM

Yeah, it looks to be in pretty good shape for a 25 year old guitar. Honest playwear is always a good sign -- means it's not a dud!

Hold out for the one you really want -- the Prism is a sweet looking guitar, and PRS guitars play incredibly well. Save up, sell some stuff, whatever it takes. I sold a bunch of stuff (pedals, assorted pickups, old college textbooks, tons of other non guitar related stuff) and saved up and all that to get my dream guitar, a Gibson 1957 Les Paul Custom Reissue. Best guitar related decision I've ever made.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 10:10 PM

Wow, took me too long to type that response!

Think of it this way -- with that kind of playwear mojo, you're halfway to EVO! (Steve Vai's number one guitar)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicManMichael View Post
CosmicDebris, most of them I've seen are that way. I've only seen a handful in better condition honestly. Do you think I should do the trade?
My estimated value is what is sold on Ebay. In that condition you wont get a lot for it.

Keep it. Sometimes the best players turn out to be the ones you bond with over time. Read this http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Learn to set it up properly and you will have a player than can play just about anything. Get a 5-way Megaswitch so you can get Bridge and Neck pups at same time and it will play anything the PRS will. With the JEM you won't worry about dings and dents.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Ahahaha, sure! I guess thats a good way to see it. Each time I get a good offer on that JEM, I am tempted to let it go. I am the farthest thing from an Ibanez guy you've ever met. I just got a great deal on it that I couldn't resist. That PRS really is tempting.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 03:45 AM

I would be floored if you got more than 1200 for your jem. I'd keep it, because it is more rare and you can always save for a common PRS down the road. If you ever wanted to reconnect with your DY in the future, it may cost you more than you expect. Just like it would cost me 2K it seems to reconnect with a Black Vine in the same condition I once had.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Sorry dude but I looked at the pics and that guitar has been rode hard and put away wet. It has more pock marks than Rosie O'donnells thighs. It has more bumps and bruises than Tina Tuner. It has taken more hits than Rhianna.

In that shape your lucky to get $1500 and more likely $1200.
+1 Beat!

Tags
ibanez , jem , mccarty , prs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode