Trem bar touching volume pot... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Trem bar touching volume pot...

I noticed slight annoyance with my new RG2550 after I set up tremolo and action. Trem bar touches (very slightly, but annoying) volume pot while I'm rotating it (in neutral position). Also, sometimes I hear some cracking springy noise when rotating trem bar. Any idea what could that be? There are two teflon washers and I just got guitar so the shouldn't be work out or something..
Tnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 12:27 AM

Re: Trem bar touching volume pot...

i had the same and just re bent my bar a little (be carfull ) the noise i cant help on but i would say its just a little noise that will vanish when you use it a little .

good luck , oh you could alos change the knobs over (i personally dont like the metal ones much) that solves it to
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 04:32 AM
GAZ

Make sure the trem is sitting parallel to the body or very slightly tilted back, if it's tilted forward slightly it'll make it worse. Also the trem arm can be lifted slightly once it's in the socket (there is a little slack) As for the strange noises it's the teflon washers rubbing against the new arm causing vibrations. It will stop with use. Try rotating them 180 degrees or even dip the arm where the washers are in hot water for a few seconds, dry thoroughly and try again.
Good luck !
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

I kinda like metal knobs I set tremolo angle just a little bit forward, will try to make it perfectly horizontal (but I wouldn't go beyond that...) If that doesn't help I'll try to lower knobs if possible. Finally I'll try to bend bar a bit.
I don't understand how can ibanez let this happen...I mean, it's not the cheapest model, they should take care of stuff like this...
Thanks for replies guys, appreciate it
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bancika View Post
I set tremolo angle just a little bit forward, will try to make it perfectly horizontal. I don't understand how can ibanez let this happen...I mean, it's not the cheapest model, they should take care of stuff like this...
You state that you adjusted the trem angle to be slightly forward..... what is Ibanez supposed to do when you clearly caused the problem? The trem is supposed to be set level with the guitar body. Read the tech area of Rich Harris' Ibanez Rules. I suspect you lowered the action some also.

All these things combined can lead to problems with your guitar. Don't get me wrong, setup and modify your guitar anyway you like but realize there is a trade-off for every adjustment or modification you make.

Blaming the manufacturer for adjustments you made shows you didn't take the time to evaluate any changes before making them. Pretty common when dealing with a new guitar your not familiar with!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 11:07 AM

I have to agree. These tremolo systems are meant to work correctly set up a certain way. If you like to pitch your floyd (or Edge, or whatever) forward or backward, scraping the volume pot is going to be the least of your worries. Worn knife edges, worn tremolo posts, bad saddles due to excess palm pressure... to say nothing of tuning stability. I used to prefer mine angled slightly forward as well until I realized all of the trouble it was causing me.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, but angle is very, very small. They cannot count on users keeping factory action and setup (which is not something you want to keep). It should work even with the lowest action possible. What's the point of being able to low action when you can't use tremolo? It's trivial problem and they should take it into account. I understand that you can get fret buzz when you lower action and that's ok, but tremolo arm should not be the reason to keep high action...

Anyway, I'll return it to dead straight, but I doubt that it will make it go completely.

Cheers
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Vendor

A neck shim would solve all your problems.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Yep, that way I could get lower action without lowering trem...but that will have to wait till I go back to serbia. Don't have tools now...
Thanks for idea Rich.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 12:31 PM

Reviews: 16

I had exactly the same problem with mine. This is how you fix it. The knobs have a set screw on the side. Simply loosen it some, push the knob down slightly (closer to the pick guard) and then tighten the set screw. It won't hit the trem arm anymore. You need not do anything more than this right here.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post

I had exactly the same problem with mine. This is how you fix it. The knobs have a set screw on the side. Simply loosen it some, push the knob down slightly (closer to the pick guard) and then tighten the set screw. It won't hit the trem arm anymore. You need not do anything more than this right here.
This is how this post should have appeared......
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, will try it when I get back from work...
Cheers
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 12:55 AM

JP55 made a good point.

I use the neck shim idea like Rich said but you will probably be fine with courtney2018's idea, at least for the time being.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 01:11 AM

Hey man. I'm kinda glad to hear you have the same 'problem'...let's me know I'm not nuts!

As far as the knob issue goes, lots of lil ways to fix it, most mentioned already. Try the simply height drop on the set screw first. But yeah, if you pitch the trem forward you're askin for that to happen.

I have my RG2550 set with the action reasonably low, but because I'm playing it with drop D tuning, I get annoying buzz on the low E string around the fifth fret and up...so I have to raise the bridge. Not too happy about it, but I've had the frets levelled and it's still happening. It doesn't do it when it's in standard tuning, so who the hell knows...my trem plate is flat by the way. Ya gotta put up with some buzzing, I guess...

Now, the big problem...that ANNOYING scraping noise when you spin the bar in the socket!...frig I put up with that for months, and nobody could figure it out. Finally the guys figured it out. They swapped arms, and it minimized to a degree, but still not 'gone'.

There's a spring in the bushing that connects the bar to the trem, and if that spring is too far forward, it causes the sound...that lil spring sits inside the groove on the bottom of the bar. Now I didn't do the fix myself, I'm only going by what the tech said. He simply adjusted that spring and the scraping sound is GONE...changing your plastic rings won't do jack, trust me. And it won't go away with more use, it actually gets worse as time goes on. Take it to the shop and have them fix it.

Let us know how it turns out. Yeah, it's a bummer cause I paid big bux for my Prestige and wouldn't have expected these issues....let alone the need for a damn fret levelling on a guitar less than 2 years old...I think I got burned on that one cause the thing STILL buzzes when I drop the action to where I like it.

Last edited by atarilovesyou; 07-12-2007 at 01:13 AM. Reason: spelling
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarilovesyou View Post
Hey man. I'm kinda glad to hear you have the same 'problem'...let's me know I'm not nuts!

As far as the knob issue goes, lots of lil ways to fix it, most mentioned already. Try the simply height drop on the set screw first. But yeah, if you pitch the trem forward you're askin for that to happen.

I have my RG2550 set with the action reasonably low, but because I'm playing it with drop D tuning, I get annoying buzz on the low E string around the fifth fret and up...so I have to raise the bridge. Not too happy about it, but I've had the frets levelled and it's still happening. It doesn't do it when it's in standard tuning, so who the hell knows...my trem plate is flat by the way. Ya gotta put up with some buzzing, I guess...

Let us know how it turns out. Yeah, it's a bummer cause I paid big bux for my Prestige and wouldn't have expected these issues....let alone the need for a damn fret levelling on a guitar less than 2 years old...I think I got burned on that one cause the thing STILL buzzes when I drop the action to where I like it.
If you are playing in drop D constantly, did you try to use a larger gauge string for your low E yet? That might solve the buzz.

I play one of my guitars in drop C tuning and just went to a heavier gauge string to fix the buzzes.

Last edited by screamndemon69; 07-12-2007 at 01:57 AM.

Tags
ernie ball , ernie balls , fret buzz , fret level , fret leveling , gauge strings , guitar body , ibanez guitars , lower strings , neck relief , neck shim , rod adjustment , string gauges , string tension , trem arm , trem plate , tremolo angle , tremolo arm , tremolo system , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , wound strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode