Which Trem is best - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Which Trem is best

OK, a daft question, which may have been asked before (I did try the search first though)

Which trem is the better (durability and tuning stability), I appreciate that neither are Ibanez's "top end" units

Lo-TRS-II
Edge III
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 12:20 PM

Re: Which Trem is best

Here's an older discussion on this subject:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f14/lo...-a-111893.html
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 07:25 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_RG View Post
OK, a daft question, which may have been asked before (I did try the search first though)

Which trem is the better (durability and tuning stability), I appreciate that neither are Ibanez's "top end" units

Lo-TRS-II
Edge III
The Lo-TRS II is marginally better, but if you want a real upgrade The Lo-TRS is a far better made unit than either of the two you listed.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

I have an old Jackson JT-580LP, its got good knife edges, and as I recall, these were fitted to some of their pretty expensive guitars.
Guessing this might fit an RG350
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:50 AM

I wouldn't say the Edge3 is a great tremolo... but I have managed to get mine to work a lot better than when I first got my guitar. Not near as nice as the regular Edge, but useable. Careful leveling and setup, plus some lube ont he posts really helped a lot.
FireEagle is online  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

What type of lubrication do you use.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:46 AM

The lo trs II is not a better trem than edge 3. It's virtually unusable. It's got the stupid screw in arm so you can't even move it back or forth without screwing up the arm height.

Don't get me wrong the edge III is atrocious if not set up right, but it's certainly better than the trs II. I've never played the trs I though, so idk about that
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Lo-TRS-II
Edge III
I had to check the link LNG posted to confirm, but the Lo-TRS II route is a drop-in fit for an OFR, while the Edge III unless I'm VERY greatly mistaken is not - I think it has the same stud positioning as an Edge Pro as it's based on the same design, and they fall in a different postion relative to the knife edges than the Edge or OFR.

Both trems can be used, but neither is really all that exceptional. Accordingly, if it was on a guitar I actually planned on using the trem a fair amount on, I'd always go for the Lo-TRS II, since it would be a fairly straightforward mod to drop in an OFR. And, whether you prefer an OFR to an Edge/LoPro is a matter of fierce debate here (and I say "prefer" for a reason), but I think people on BOTH sides of that debate will agree that the other is the next best thing to their preferred option.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

The reason for my OP was some years ago, I had an RG470, with the Lo-TRS II, and if my memory serves well, it was pretty stable, not perfect, but very usable.
Now, I just bagged an RG350 real cheap on ebay (£100 or $165, which by UK standards is real cheap, they generally sell for £150-£175 here in the UK, so I thought buy, and try to sell on for a small profit), but the trem isn't perfect (Edge III), however, from browsing this forum, its hard to ascertain what people believe is the better trem, some say the Lo-TRSII is better, some say not.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 11:50 AM

Reviews: 21

Edge 3 is better. I used a Lo-TRS II for a while on a JS100 and Edge 3 on a few RG350's. Gigged out and played extensively with both. Edge 3 is better but needs work to setup and continued maintenance.
I no longer own guitars equipped with either. I have toyed with the idea of getting a cheapo used RG5EX1 and blocking it off to use like a hardtail.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
What type of lubrication do you use.
After seeing people mention it on this forum, I used "chap-stick" lip stuff.

Quote:
I have toyed with the idea of getting a cheapo used RG5EX1 and blocking it off to use like a hardtail.
The RG5EX1 is a pretty neat guitar... I'm gonna keep it because I listed it locally on craigslist for less than I paid for it and had no takers. It does ok and you can get them pretty cheap, but the Inf3/4 pickups don't have a good reputation, the Edge 3 tremolo has a bad reputation, and the dark grey sharktooth fret markings are hard to see. I finally stuck some white dots on them so I would quit hitting the wrong fret. I guess I'm just not used to looking at the dots on the neck binding. I guess I'm saying make sure it's what you want, otherwise for the same price you could probably get a better guitar. You can get an RG321 for the same price with a hardtail bridge.
FireEagle is online  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
After seeing people mention it on this forum, I used "chap-stick" lip stuff.
That is real weird, but I will try it

Looks like its 44% "Petrolatum", which is basically Vaseline.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
That is real weird, but I will try it

Looks like its 44% "Petrolatum", which is basically Vaseline.
Helped a lot with return to pitch on my RG550. It wasn't bad to start with though. When I pulled up on the bar it would stay sharp a bit. Enough on the low strings to hear it. Applied a little strawberry Chapstick to the posts and bingo! Still goes out but the only way to tell is put it on a tuner. It's that little a difference.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:29 PM

I personally prefer this product.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accessor...ar_Grease.html
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I personally prefer this product.
Ha Ha, graphite, the old pencil lead trick.

I may for the short term, apply both, get a pencil and some sand paper, make some graphite dust, and mix with the chapstick!!!!!!!!

Tags
floyd , trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode