Trem pull ups bending my original wizard neck headstock? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Trem pull ups bending my original wizard neck headstock?

Hello everyone, I have a '91 RG760. One of the things I have been concerned about for the longest is how the headstock bends or gets pulled forward when I pull up on the trem (and I think that's how the cracks behind the nut developed).
Basically, the higher I set the bridge, the more its prone to bend when I pull up. Anyone else have this problem? Is it normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 11:24 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Trem pull ups bending my original wizard neck headstock?

What gauge strings are you using?
I've never had this problem.
These are titled headstocks, too!
Do you have the string retainer bar adjusted properly?
How many springs installed on the trem?

The more info you provide--the more info we have to help you figure it out.

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 11:43 PM
Vendor

You're yanking on it with a bunch of steel, why wouldn't you expect it to move?

Sight the neck and do a full pullup, and watch how much relief it puts in the neck.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=AlaskaBat;1257147]What gauge strings are you using?
I've never had this problem.
These are titled headstocks, too!
Do you have the string retainer bar adjusted properly?
How many springs installed on the trem?

The more info you provide--the more info we have to help you figure it out.[/QU For strings I use a 9-42 guage. And of course 3 springs. The retainer bar actually for some reason can't be brought down enough to apply pressure to the strings. But I'm not sure if any of that is the problem.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 08:49 AM

I noticed the same thing on my 550 but i don't see strange movements, only hear cracking noises when I pull up the trem so I stopped using it and am planning to block it (again, I blocked already before but not for this problem, I never used too much the trem until now).
I think that is very possible for the ultra slim super wizard neck to break at the headstock joint if you pull up too much, that don't seem very solid.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephmetal View Post
I noticed the same thing on my 550 but i don't see strange movements, only hear cracking noises when I pull up the trem so I stopped using it and am planning to block it (again, I blocked already before but not for this problem, I never used too much the trem until now).
I think that is very possible for the ultra slim super wizard neck to break at the headstock joint if you pull up too much, that don't seem very solid.
My 550 neck cracked on me as well. I had to bust out the crazy glue and go to town.

Same thing here though .009-.042 and three springs. retainer bar properly adjusted.

The early necks seem to be made of better maple, but are a crap design because there simply isn't enough wood at the neck to headstock transition with those locking nut bolts going through it and all, and it's one piece instead of the multiple pieces they do today. But my guitar is like 23 years old so I guess it's to be expected. I don't even do pull-ups either. I'm kinda pissed about it because this is a sentimental guitar to me.

Now I need to have perle make me another neck for this one.
I refuse to put it out to pasture. Guess the next project will be a resurrection.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 11:33 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephmetal View Post
Tighten your neck screws........... your neck and trem are probably just fine.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
My 550 neck cracked on me as well. I had to bust out the crazy glue and go to town.

Same thing here though .009-.042 and three springs. retainer bar properly adjusted.

The early necks seem to be made of better maple, but are a crap design because there simply isn't enough wood at the neck to headstock transition with those locking nut bolts going through it and all, and it's one piece instead of the multiple pieces they do today. But my guitar is like 23 years old so I guess it's to be expected. I don't even do pull-ups either. I'm kinda pissed about it because this is a sentimental guitar to me.

Now I need to have perle make me another neck for this one.
I refuse to put it out to pasture. Guess the next project will be a resurrection.
I assure you that the early necks are NOT crap. I have 7 of them out of guitars here now, 6 that are on guitars- some have NJC's-some don't. ALL of them work perfectly even when put under extreme duress (hard extended pullups and dives)
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 12:58 PM

Thumbs up Re: Trem pull ups bending my original wizard neck headstock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Tighten your neck screws........... your neck and trem are probably just fine.
+1 Typical description of a locking-nut that is too loose.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Banned

....and who knows what kind of abuse the previous owner(s) subjected it to--knocked over, bumps, etc.

Like Ryc, I've got several of these necks without any problems.

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
and it's one piece instead of the multiple pieces they do today
Unfortunately, IMO, multi-piece necks are just a means for the manufacturer to use lower quality cuts of wood.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kinks View Post
Unfortunately, IMO, multi-piece necks are just a means for the manufacturer to use lower quality cuts of wood.
Disagree.

"For guitar necks, in addition to increased strength, scarf joints mean that less wood required to make the neck and headstock, and pieces of wood that normally wouldn’t be large enough to make a neck can be combined and used."

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 04:38 PM

I wasn't referring to a scarf joint, I was referring to the 3-piece and 5-piece necks (i.e. skunk stripes). I don't have any problem with scarf joints. And the 90's skunk-stripe necks were ok, but I don't think they use quartersawn wood on the newer ones.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Vendor

All current MIJ lam necks are made with 1/4 sawn maple. Good luck finding 1/4 sawn on the old scarf necks, which have far more problems over time from the scarf than not being 1/4 sawn.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
All current MIJ lam necks are made with 1/4 sawn maple. Good luck finding 1/4 sawn on the old scarf necks, which have far more problems over time from the scarf than not being 1/4 sawn.
THIS^^^^

There's no doubt that pretty much ALL of the new Ibby necks are superior to the old one's. I was just trying to say that the old ones are not CRAP.

Tags
cracks , edge tremolo , ibanez , warp , wizard neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode