Tremolo Stoppers - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Question Tremolo Stoppers

Has anyone out there installed anything to make their floating tremolo a little less "floating?"
I have a pair of something called the Goldo Back Stop, and so far this project isn't going as easy as planned. For starters, the instructions are in German.
I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through a project like this, and might have any tips, tricks, or pointers.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 08:15 PM

Re: Tremolo Stoppers

I'd suggest a tremel-no. Much better feautures than anything else I've seen out there. To go from hardtail to dive only to full floating in a few seconds is an awesome feature.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 08:27 PM

Try this http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabiliz...tallation.html

I think it was done by a member here if I am not mistaken.

Also, in order for the two of those to work like a backstop I would imagine the measurments for both in adjustment must be exactly the same. Any error on either one will throw one side off from the other.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Try this http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabiliz...tallation.html

I think it was done by a member here if I am not mistaken.

Also, in order for the two of those to work like a backstop I would imagine the measurments for both in adjustment must be exactly the same. Any error on either one will throw one side off from the other.
I was thinking of putting one of these on my Rg since I like to sit, lean back and play but the strings go sharp

by measurements do you mean spring resistance on the unit or where it is in the route?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:13 PM

I mean the measurments on how the goldo thing is adjusted. He tried using two but didn't work right. If one side is adjusted different than the other it could cause the return to be off.

When I had my backstop in my RGT220a I used Digital calipers to get the setup exactly the same on both springs down to the thousands of an inch.

If you dont' wammy much laying down then perhaps the tremelo no thing will be good for you.

I found having the adjument perfect in the backstop made all the diff in its performance.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:39 PM

ah, does that mean it has to be centered in the route? and have the middle spring moved to a side or something?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
ah, does that mean it has to be centered in the route? and have the middle spring moved to a side or something?
Which one are you talking about? Some ibbys came with a special route for the backstop and that part of the CNC program I read stayed in the making of the bodys. If the backstop rubs the center spring you get problems as you would expect. If that is the case then gettin rid of that spring or body routing would be needed. With my RGT220a the route in the cavity was low enough I had no problems but other guitars do not have the space for it.

With the other trem devices I have no personal experience with them but have seen pics of folks having to offset springs or using only two springs.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Which one are you talking about? Some ibbys came with a special route for the backstop and that part of the CNC program I read stayed in the making of the bodys. If the backstop rubs the center spring you get problems as you would expect. If that is the case then gettin rid of that spring or body routing would be needed. With my RGT220a the route in the cavity was low enough I had no problems but other guitars do not have the space for it.

With the other trem devices I have no personal experience with them but have seen pics of folks having to offset springs or using only two springs.
I was speaking of the Esp and Goldo Box, http://i11.****img.com/04/i/07/c8/83/e2_1.JPG (evilbay)
I guess If I get one I'll have to offset my springs but no problem

The Goldo is cheaper but shipping might make it as much as an ESP Arming Adjuster if I have to get it from UK. So I might order an ESP AA from Rich

That Installation page you posted should help me and the OP, thanks
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:24 PM

Go Here which is the main page of tremstabilzers http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabilizers/

One of the best for that subject I have seen.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

I thought I was really careful putting the two in, but one if off by just a really little bit.
I also over-compensated for the felt stopper piece. The rear of the bridge is up a bit instead of being level.
And then to add to all the fun, when I push almost all the way down on the wammy, there's a cracking sound, and it sounds like its comming from the nut at the end of the fret board.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:32 PM

Make sure your nut screws are tight. When you wammy down the of course lose their tension between the bridge and nut. They still have tension between the tuners and nut.

Tags
floating tremolo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode