Tried 2 Les Pauls out today - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Re: Tried 2 Les Pauls out today

But a Les Paul Studio PP is the same price as an elitist, so it begs the question, why get the epiphone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker1 View Post
But a Les Paul Studio PP is the same price as an elitist, so it begs the question, why get the epiphone?
The Epi has better cosmetic features. The Studio probably has better build quality, though.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 03:22 PM

Isn't the Epiphone Elitist made in FujiGen, like the Prestiges? If you think Gibson USA is making better guitars than that, then by all means get the Gibson. Personally, I'd just get a Heritage
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Isn't the Epiphone Elitist made in FujiGen, like the Prestiges? If you think Gibson USA is making better guitars than that, then by all means get the Gibson. Personally, I'd just get a Heritage
Yeah, it is, as far as I know. The Gibson probably has better electronics, though, unless the Elitist has US-made pots and caps as well.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 01:08 AM

The studio Premium Plus is an incredible guitar, but it doesn't play or sound any different than the regular studio. I just couldn't justify the extra several hundred dollars for it.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRyan View Post
The studio Premium Plus is an incredible guitar, but it doesn't play or sound any different than the regular studio. I just couldn't justify the extra several hundred dollars for it.
And you'd be dead right there - some of the Studio PPs have gorgeous flamed tops, but it's still Hard Rock Maple - the plainest bit in the world will sound (well, hypothetically) every bit as good as the fanciest.

I guess I'd still spring for a Gibson LP Studio over an Epi Elitist for the simple fact that when you come to sell, or trade it in, the Gibson is a Gibson, and the Epi is an Epi - 'nuff said.

Jim - you are right - The Heritage guitars are lovely, but they are going absolutely nowhere here in Australia - if I was after a Les Paul alternative, my obvious first choice would be a PRS Singlecut - but then again, I'm biased..... If I was looking for a superb LP alternative for the same money, or possibly a little less, I'd be on the hunt for a Guild Bluesbird - yum!
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
I don't think the LP Studios are chambered by the way, but they might be "weight relieved" which is Gibsons way of saying "route out large sections of the body and fill them with Chromite".
Nope, solid all the way through and no lighter than any other Les Paul. I've got one in wine red (my first guitar purchase in 20 years and the (re)start of a fairly extensive acquisition trail) and it's great within the limits of a LP. The painted neck is ....... OK, I suppose. Not fast, narrow frets, but a great rhythm guitar with immense sustain.

I've never been overly keen on the stock pickups though and really need to replace them. Too bassy on the downside and not a lot of projection on the upside. I'd think most Jemsiters would feel much the same way if a Jem is regarded as the standard desired sound.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Well i am goin up again tommorow will try them again thru some pedals, then i will buy a pedal!
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 06:45 PM

forget the epi....
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyH View Post
Nope, solid all the way through and no lighter than any other Les Paul. I've got one in wine red (my first guitar purchase in 20 years and the (re)start of a fairly extensive acquisition trail) and it's great within the limits of a LP. The painted neck is ....... OK, I suppose. Not fast, narrow frets, but a great rhythm guitar with immense sustain.

I've never been overly keen on the stock pickups though and really need to replace them. Too bassy on the downside and not a lot of projection on the upside. I'd think most Jemsiters would feel much the same way if a Jem is regarded as the standard desired sound.
You wouldn't know, because they've been doing it for nearly 30 years to every regular production Les Paul. They've just decided to chamber all of the non-Custom Shop models, though.
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 02:29 PM

I've never once played a good Epi.
Most low-end Gibsons, like the "Faded" series, are also crap, or so Ive heard from multiple accounts.
But "real" Gibsons are just too darn expensive!
Solution....
Steal it!
smitty
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

i went up on thurs and they had a new shippment in, no goldtops, but a beautifull LP, AAAA Flamed maple front and back carved front and back, inlaid headstock, no fingerboard inlays it was lovely, they also had a JEM 20th, and A Classic Custom, and A Jem77B signed by steve

Tags
aaa maple , bridge pickup , bridge pup , custom shop , david mccarroll , dimarzio super distortion , ebony fretboard , electric guitar , epi les paul , epiphone les paul , flamed maple , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , gibson les pauls , headstock shape , korean guitar , les paul , les paul studio , les pauls , local music store , music store , planet waves , planet waves cables , playing guitar , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in