Tried out the new DTT700 today - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Tried out the new DTT700 today

The local store I teach out of just got one in so I tried it out through a Fender Super Sonic 1x12. I couldn't believe the weight of the guitar, this thing is HEAVY. In fact, I'd wager it is most likely the heaviest guitar I have ever held. Being an Indonesian made model I was surprised at the fit and finish right off the shelf, I guess I didn't have high expectations being a MII instrument. There was a small spot of missing clear coat above the Ibanez logo which was really the only cosmetic flaw I could see on first inspection.

The action was nice as was the neck profile, not too thick. The neck is bound and the inlays looked nice with the mother of toilet seat enclosing a band of very colorful abalone in the middle. The Dimarzio pups (D-Activators?) are shocking to see in a non-MIJ instrument from Ibanez but the price definitely reflected it ($799USD). Those pickups sounded very tastey to me dirty and clean, so much so that I would consider trying them in an RG or any other mahogany bodied guitar.

If this guitar is a sign of things to come in the future from Indonesian Ibanez guitars, more power to them, this guitar really ROCKED. I would probably pick one up if they were just a bit less cash ($499-$549 ballpark) and just a bit lighter. I give it two thumbs up and would recommend anyone thinking about buying one to try one out first but I believe those interested in buying one would most likely be happy buying online without playing one first. Just my 2cents for free. Peace out.

~Bones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 12:29 AM

Reviews: 21
Re: Tried out the new DTT700 today

Not surprising that it's heavy. It's mahogany. The latest Iceman is very similar. I too am Jonesing for this guitar, but the $800 price is a bit outlandish considering its not MIJ. I don't know how Ibanez is determining price, but it doesn't seem like Indy guitars would be affected by the suck Yen-to-Dollar exchange rate.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Hard to get used to seeing an Iceman with a RG headstock. I miss the IC400, 500, ect style headstock.

I've owned 4 Explorers and none were even close to the weight of that Destroyer. I've played quite a few LPs' and I haven't personally held one as heavy as that Destroyer. It must be a really dense quality mahogany I'm guessing.

I could nearly justify the price from Korea but not Indonesia so I guess the present quality/price is now the "ramp-up time" for Indo like we saw in Korea a few years back. Time will tell.

~Bones
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 04:11 PM

Reviews: 2

I've always preferred the Samick made guitars to Cort ones. Could just be me though.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:26 PM

Reviews: 21

If there's one issue with Indi guitars, its the metal used in their trem guitars; and the typical defect I find is the metal used in the allen bolts on the locking nuts are poor and tend to strip on the E-A block at the top. It's a cheap fix.
That and the cheap pickups typical on Indi guitars, but that problem doesn't exist when you get 2 D-Activators.
Minus the trem issues, I would put up ANY Ibanez Indy fixed bridge up against ANY guitar anywhere anytime!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:09 PM

Reviews: 2

I really like the look of the new destroyers. I hope my local guitar center gets one soon so I can try it out.

Tags
destroyer dtt700

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode