Since I was a kid, I was always really obsessed with the USA Custom graphic series. I always wanted my own custom painted guitar. So I decided to build one. I'm hugely nerdy about Tron, so I decided that it would be a Tron theme.
I wanted to start this with an RG760 or RG770 in black because I wanted a black headstock (like the UCRG's) and sharktooth inlays. I was able to score this guitar, a '93 RG770
The other thing I decided I wanted to do was put a Fernandes Sustainer in the guitar. I actually like the look of their single coil sized driver better, and it turned out that the RG770 is really too nice to hack up, so I went in search of a spare RG560/760 body. More on that in a minute. My plan is to swap the neck and trem over from the RG770, leaving the rest of the guitar unmolested so that I could return it to stock if desired.
I started with the Jem body blueprint from Jemsite
and modified it in Photoshop until it was an RG body template. I currently have this done for the RG770, but just need to alter the bridge pickup to turn it into an RG760 template. The plan is to paste images into this template and then print the final thing out as a photograph. It will basically be a lot like the Jem BFP.
The Sustainer driver will be in the bridge (obviously) and to house the electronics, I've ordered a set of rear covers for an RG2120X from Rich.
I'll use these as a template for routing and when finished, I should have a very clean factory look. Pickups and knobs will be some combo of blue and red, with the bridge pickup a DiMarzio FRED in color/black. I'll sort out all the color combos once I have the body artwork figured out.
Back to the body, I just picked up an RG560 body on the bay. Unfortunately, I didn't read the description very carefully and some hack has pulled out the factory stud inserts and tried to replace them with OFR inserts. This install was way less than stellar and the inserts are tilted way forward and are not flush with the body. I have a spare set of Edge inserts so I'm going to see what I can do with those once I get these old inserts out. Worst case, this body may turn into a practice run at this and I may be out a few bucks.
I started stripping the body today and have to say, I wish I would have done this with a propane torch the last time!
That was less than 5 minutes of work. I just kept the flame nice and low and kept the torch a good distance from the body so nothing got scorched. I've got the front and back stripped and and currently taking a break and letting the fumes air out.