The Tron guitar project - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

The Tron guitar project

Since I was a kid, I was always really obsessed with the USA Custom graphic series. I always wanted my own custom painted guitar. So I decided to build one. I'm hugely nerdy about Tron, so I decided that it would be a Tron theme.

I wanted to start this with an RG760 or RG770 in black because I wanted a black headstock (like the UCRG's) and sharktooth inlays. I was able to score this guitar, a '93 RG770

The other thing I decided I wanted to do was put a Fernandes Sustainer in the guitar. I actually like the look of their single coil sized driver better, and it turned out that the RG770 is really too nice to hack up, so I went in search of a spare RG560/760 body. More on that in a minute. My plan is to swap the neck and trem over from the RG770, leaving the rest of the guitar unmolested so that I could return it to stock if desired.

I started with the Jem body blueprint from Jemsite

http://static.keebali.com/jemsite.co..._blueprint.jpg

and modified it in Photoshop until it was an RG body template. I currently have this done for the RG770, but just need to alter the bridge pickup to turn it into an RG760 template. The plan is to paste images into this template and then print the final thing out as a photograph. It will basically be a lot like the Jem BFP.

The Sustainer driver will be in the bridge (obviously) and to house the electronics, I've ordered a set of rear covers for an RG2120X from Rich.

I'll use these as a template for routing and when finished, I should have a very clean factory look. Pickups and knobs will be some combo of blue and red, with the bridge pickup a DiMarzio FRED in color/black. I'll sort out all the color combos once I have the body artwork figured out.

Back to the body, I just picked up an RG560 body on the bay. Unfortunately, I didn't read the description very carefully and some hack has pulled out the factory stud inserts and tried to replace them with OFR inserts. This install was way less than stellar and the inserts are tilted way forward and are not flush with the body. I have a spare set of Edge inserts so I'm going to see what I can do with those once I get these old inserts out. Worst case, this body may turn into a practice run at this and I may be out a few bucks.

I started stripping the body today and have to say, I wish I would have done this with a propane torch the last time!

That was less than 5 minutes of work. I just kept the flame nice and low and kept the torch a good distance from the body so nothing got scorched. I've got the front and back stripped and and currently taking a break and letting the fumes air out.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-20-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: The Tron guitar project

Tthanks for finally posting this! After so much behind-the-scene discussion, I'm glad to see it underway. If it turns out like you told me how you envisioned it--it's going to kill.

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

On to the artwork, I'm going to use images from Tron Legacy rather than the classic movie. These pictures are just representative.

Definitely going to be a recognizer on there, I'm thinking somewhere in the arm rest area.

Definitely going to have to have a light cycle on there.

I love the tank but can't think of how to incorporate it. I'm thinking about maybe incorporating the cityscape into the background somehow.

Or perhaps the logo? (with "Legacy" removed)

Maybe she can be on the back of the guitar...haha

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:26 PM

Reviews: 11

simple, really. buy some plastic pickup covers and do those over top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vixVQ...eature=related
skip to 6:40. you can see how he painted the pickup covers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fukON...eature=related
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:31 PM

kweel project.. Can't to see how it will turn out..

How do you plan to get the artwork on there? Airbrush?? Will you be doing that or someone else.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:39 PM

Sadface The original Tron Movie was way cooler than the new one, Daft punk or not.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
simple, really. buy some plastic pickup covers and do those over top.
Well the guitar has no pickups currently. I'll just buy them in the colors that I want...

Quote:
Originally Posted by apadua View Post
How do you plan to get the artwork on there? Airbrush?? Will you be doing that or someone else.
I created a template in Photoshop of the shape of the guitar minus the trem and pickup cavities. My plan is to acquire high res images and paste them in there, as some sort of collage. I can mess with the images in Photoshop to give them more of an airbrushed effect. Finally, I would have the image printed out and then I will essentially glue it to the top of the guitar and clear it in. The BFP Jem was exactly this: a picture under clear. I may use a method like this to "clearcoat" the guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L3rirpTdaY

I'm fairly sure that's what Ibanez did with the FP. linuxpenguin just had great results using this to clear a guitar:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/im...in-111553.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Sadface The original Tron Movie was way cooler than the new one, Daft punk or not.
Believe me, I have a huge soft spot in my heart for the original Tron movie. I've seen it probably 80 times. Early 80's computer animation is just not the vibe I was after.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 08:09 PM

Reviews: 2

You know I'm gonna cry about your 770 right?????

You also know your going to sell me the leftovers right??????????????
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Calm down, I'm not hacking up the 770!

I bought it with the intention of doing that, but once I got it I realized that it's way too nice and I like it took much. I'm just going to borrow some parts from it. I'm not pulling any of the pickups or electronics. Just the bridge, neck and tuners. The rest will sit around in a box. I can get a bridge and tuners at any point. Neck could be tougher to come by, but the RG770 could very easily end up back in original form.

If this 560 body ends up being f'ed because of the trem posts, I'll just find another one.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post

Knock..knock....Penny....knock..knock....Penny.... ..There's a black 770 at GC right now for 599.99...........Penny......

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post

Same here,i was yelling noooo at the monitor but alas,twas too late.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Holy cow...guys I'm not destroying the RG770! LOL!

Seriously, I'm going to have to take pictures of this thing to prove that it hasn't been harmed.

I finished the template this morning (woke up at 5:30...damn!) for the RG560/760 body shape. I just did a quick and dirty image with the logo.

If anyone would like the actual template, I have it as a .psd at 300 pixels per inch, so it is an almost 1 meg file.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-20-2014 at 07:09 AM.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Crap...I just noticed that the middle pickup is closer to the bridge on the 560/760 body compared with the 570/770. I'll need to fix the template...
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 08:13 AM

Really awesome idea for a project! That cityscape would look amazing on a super glossy black RG! Can't wait to see how it turns out!
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 09:14 AM

I'd love to see the end results. Fingers crossed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode