Is this true? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 143 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Is this true?

Hey,

I recently bought a RG2550E brand new and i am very pleased with but I just have a question, btw this is my first locking tremolo guitar, so just bear that in mind.

I took my guitar to be set-up cos it was new and such, when i pickedit up i was messing around with my whammy and it would go out of tune about 20 cents so I stretched the strings et al but it was still was going out. So i took my guitar back to the tech and he said 'you can't go crazy with them(locking trems), you can't dump the bar and let the strings go totally loose without it going out of tune. If you do just 'jig' the bar to get it back intune'. So with this in mind i can only go down bit further then a normal trem but it still goes out slightly. But is this true that i cant go crazy with it going out?

Sorry for the n00b question, i have searched the guides but found nothing.

Many Thanks

Reece
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 10:59 AM

Re: Is this true?

Make sure the lock nuts are tight, you have new(ish at least) strings and you dip it after pulling up and you can run it over in a bus and it wont go out.

btw, it should never go out when diving, only pulling up.
post #3 of 143 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 11:27 AM

I've had loads of guitars that've gone out of tune when diving.
post #4 of 143 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 11:29 AM

Sure ive never owened a trs that didnt, but I have never had a problem diving with an Edge.
post #5 of 143 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 11:32 AM

read Rich's tech page (ibanezrules.com) and you will see anything and everything you need to know about set-ups.
first off, study the tech pages on his site so you can do set-ups on your own. it is a waste of money to pay someone for something you can learn to do on your own.
the tech who said you can't do more than subtle stuff has NO clue what he is talking about.
congrats on your guitar and have patience, it takes a little time to get used to a trem.
post #6 of 143 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 11:34 AM

You should be able to give the bar a fair bit of abuse without it going out of tune. The tech section at ibanezrules (banner at the top) is the guide to follow, but basically
1. Stretch strings
2. Check trem angle
3. Tighten nut pads (but not too much to strip the thread)

If these don't work its probably the knife edges and if its a new guitar I'd suggest returning it to the store. Where did you get it from in the UK?
post #7 of 143 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
read Rich's tech page (ibanezrules.com) and you will see anything and everything you need to know about set-ups.
first off, study the tech pages on his site so you can do set-ups on your own. it is a waste of money to pay someone for something you can learn to do on your own.
the tech who said you can't do more than subtle stuff has NO clue what he is talking about.
congrats on your guitar and have patience, it takes a little time to get used to a trem.
Great minds think alike eh!
post #8 of 143 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 11:36 AM

Regardless of what people should know,i'll bet not many shops you take your guitar to to be set up actually stretch the strings PROPERLY.They'll slap a new set on,tweak the guitar and LOCK THE NUT.
Check out IBANEZRULES,Rich's site in the banner up top and try a new set and stretch them in AS THE MAIN MAN says. Makes all the difference and should cure what you describe
post #9 of 143 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 11:38 AM

Man,you gotta get in quick round here All them posts together
post #10 of 143 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 11:45 AM

Im not sure whats the go with stretching strings, I string my guitar, lock it down, tune it again a couple minutes later and I dont have to tune it again for a week.

But everyone goes on about it, Im not saying it doesnt make a difference but I have never needed to do it and i think alot of it is that you have to "strectch" the strings on a fixed, which just means getting them to wind on the tuning pegs properly and I dont think theres alot of actual stretching going on, its just an illusion as they wind on the pegs more.

If you do it and it works then fine but its never made any difference for me.
post #11 of 143 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 11:51 AM

I'm amazed at the ****in idiots that are allowed to 'set-up' peoples guitars....

That guitar (bearing brand new strings and once the springs have 'settled') should stay spot on in tune... What the 'tech' told you is basically this " I don't know what I am doing, so if it's not right that's just the way it is"

It still amazes me the utter idiots that are employed and speak as if they know what they are talking about, yet all they do is spread mis-information...

I was in a Daddys Junkie about a year ago to buy a few 12ax7's I took one out of the little box and as soon as I touched the tube the salesman freaked on me...Telling me that you can not touch tubes with your bare hands LOL....

I told him, Umm, dude your thinking about Halogen light bulbs not Tubes...He argued with me for like 5 minutes.... I told him he was a tool and left... But that's the kinda noob **** that I'm talking about....
post #12 of 143 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdi View Post
I'm amazed at the ****in idiots that are allowed to 'set-up' peoples guitars....

That guitar (bearing brand new strings and once the springs have 'settled') should stay spot on in tune... What the 'tech' told you is basically this " I don't know what I am doing, so if it's not right that's just the way it is"

It still amazes me the utter idiots that are employed and speak as if they know what they are talking about, yet all they do is spread mis-information...

I was in a Daddys Junkie about a year ago to buy a few 12ax7's I took one out of the little box and as soon as I touched the tube the salesman freaked on me...Telling me that you can not touch tubes with your bare hands LOL....

I told him, Umm, dude your thinking about Halogen light bulbs not Tubes...He argued with me for like 5 minutes.... I told him he was a tool and left... But that's the kinda noob **** that I'm talking about....
They employ people who can sell the crap they stock, my local store wont give me a job even tho i know more than anyone i there.

My freind goes there for everything and trusts every word that comes out their mouths and when I talk to him again I have to convince him the're talking BS and everytime he takes his guitar there I end up fixing the're pathetic wiring or setup.

What really amazes me evertime I order a part even the ibanez guy has no idea and it usually ends in him trying to get me to buy a new guitar.
post #13 of 143 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 12:12 PM

After the strings have been properly stretched and locked down they should never go out of tune with an Edge, Lo Pro Edge, Edge Pro style tremelo. I can really abuse my Edge both up and down fully and it is rare that I have to retune the guitar. Likely there is something wrong in your setup, or the strings aren't stretched/locked down.
post #14 of 143 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 12:50 PM

A really well setup Edge with a backstop shouldn't go out except after excessive dumps and pullups, and even then, maybe a few cents at most. Even Vai puts his guitars out of tune from using the bar, just listen to FTLoG on Astoria..yikes...
post #15 of 143 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 01:13 PM

That "tech" is a moron. If the trem is set up properly there is no problem with totally slacking the strings or any kind of trem shenanigans you want to partake in and staying in tune; that's the point of the [email protected] thing.

Tags
bridge pickup , equipped guitar , guitar players , lock nut , locking nut , locking stud , locking studs , locking tremolo , locking trems , mij guitars , neck screws , nut pads , playing guitar , pro edge , sam ash , string guage , tuning pegs , wolfgang special

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode