Is it true that the Jem 555's tremolo sytem is not usable? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Hyper!

edit: hyper!

Last edited by lukather54; 11-29-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 09:53 AM

Do a forum search for Jem555 and its self explanatory.
People generally hate it on here.

The trem is just awful, putrid, blah blah blah
Gary - The.Godfather
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 09:58 AM

It's not unusable - it's just not as good as an Edge.

If they are correctly set up they can stay in tune perfectly, but most aren't when bought. The action is nowhere near as nice as an Edge, but it's not that bad.

Having said that I still wouldn't buy a 555 - for the money you are much better off buying an RG.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 10:25 AM

I have the same trem on my PGM30 as the one on the 555 and I havenīt had any problems at all so far. It looks pretty weak but mine works just fine.

But then again my guitar is pretty new and in great condition and maybe worn trems of this kind are different I donīt know.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 01:54 PM

i have a guitar with a trs and it stays in tune fine. however, I dont abuse it like an edge and I set it up with 10's and an extra spring so the tension is much higher so it doesnt move as much
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 03:46 PM

Reviews: 3
I think it's mostly bull****. sorry. with those new edge trems the 555 should be a decent guitar. hell, I would say it was decent before. people here just have a problem with the half vine inlay and the "jr" on the headstock (personally, I think they could have skipped the dots on it, leaving half the fretboard empty). plus they love the edge trems more than anything on this earth.

if you find a 555 that you really like, and the price is right, get it. if the trem acts up on you, you could always put a new trem in there (a good luthier doesn't charge much in case you need to modify the cavity). personally, I'm thinking that maybe I would prefer the "poor" trem of the 555 over the dead neck on a 7dbk I tried out a couple of months back.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 12:31 AM

When did the 555 start coming with an Edge trem?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86barettaguy
I'm thinking that maybe I would prefer the "poor" trem of the 555 over the dead neck on a 7dbk I tried out a couple of months back.
you obviously don't know what your talking about.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejem
Quote:
I'm thinking that maybe I would prefer the "poor" trem of the 555 over the dead neck on a 7dbk I tried out a couple of months back.
I beg to differ. the TRS can easily be replaced by a gotoh or OFR, both of which can be found used at decent prices ($50-$100). spend some time with a luthier and you could throw in a Lo-Pro (the woodwork would cost about $50 around here). a new neck (with a comfier neck profile) is a lot more expensive.

besides, with the new edge version used on korean models, I think the trem doesn't matter as much anymore.

I've played enough guitars to know exactly what I'm talking about. but maybe you're one who would rather have a slightly nicer trem than a much nicer neck (of course I haven't tried the JEM necks yet, I just know I don't like the wizard necks. maybe the JEM necks aren't better at all. that's why I told him to go with the 555 if he really likes it, regardless of the trem)

Ankhnaten: since they introduced the new trems this year. the TRS isn't used by ibanez anymore afaik.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 05:48 AM

Actually I've run across some of the new 2003 Korean 555's
w/ the EDGE PRO II trem online.
For the $$$....which I believe around $750 it's not half bad.
Considering the kinda' crappy trem being the major glaring flaw in the 555's.

However without the EDGE PRO II I wouldn't...

I had a TRS II trem on an old modified RG 470 & I absolutely hated it, granted this is a matter of personal preference, but as a gigging guitar( 3/4 nights a week) the TRS didn't handle the abuse as well as an EDGE does.

However my old RG absolutely kicked ass...I just pretty much quit using the trem ala the JS 2000 model & blocked it.

I guess my point is if you don't mind having JEM Jr. on the headstock and you aren't much of a trem guy,or if you've never used an EDGE & don't know what you are missing, go for it man...

I'd personally hunt for a used Jem or mod out an RG 550/570 though....
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 05:53 AM

I didn't mean to sound like a dick about the JEM JR. thing....

Actually that's the main reason I didn't pick up one of the new 2003 555's w/ the EDGE PRO II trem...because w/ the better trem they are despite the Korean made stigma NOW a pretty good guitar for the $$$.

However I'm a big snob...

My vanity talked me out of it & then I found a used UV 7bk for $500....

That being said I still wouldn't buy an old one...
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I beg to differ. the TRS can easily be replaced by a gotoh or OFR, both of which can be found used at decent prices ($50-$100). spend some time with a luthier and you could throw in a Lo-Pro (the woodwork would cost about $50 around here). a new neck (with a comfier neck profile) is a lot more expensive.

besides, with the new edge version used on korean models, I think the trem doesn't matter as much anymore.

I've played enough guitars to know exactly what I'm talking about. but maybe you're one who would rather have a slightly nicer trem than a much nicer neck (of course I haven't tried the JEM necks yet, I just know I don't like the wizard necks. maybe the JEM necks aren't better at all. that's why I told him to go with the 555 if he really likes it, regardless of the trem)

Ankhnaten: since they introduced the new trems this year. the TRS isn't used by ibanez anymore afaik.
necks are about preference, there is not really such a thing as a bad neck on a high end model, because people have different tastes. but, there is such a thing as a piece of crap trem
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 11:01 PM

Agreed. Also i might add that judging an entire line of guitars because you play one in a store with dead strings on it is a sign of one thing. *inexperience* The wizard plays fine and is not in any way a *dead* neck
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

necks are about preference, there is not really such a thing as a bad neck on a high end model, because people have different tastes. but, there is such a thing as a piece of crap trem
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Agreed. Also i might add that judging an entire line of guitars because you play one in a store with dead strings on it is a sign of one thing. *inexperience* The wizard plays fine and is not in any way a *dead* neck
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ok, maybe I should have said that the neck on the dbk (and indeed all other wizard necks I've tried) felt dead TO ME. of course it's all about preference. it's not a bad neck in itself. thought that was kinda understood, but I guess I shouldn't be making assumptions like that
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 02:27 PM

What you made was a blanket statement, not just an assumption. In another thread you had posted something about them feeling just like "average made-in-a-foreign-country-for-people-who-just-want-the-thinnest-neck guitar" guitar... Considering you are from Sweden supposedly, I would think ANY guitar is gonna be foreign made...including your Kramer.

Best beware man...people on Jemsite are here because it's Jemsite. It's a cool place, and everyone is awesome. You can get helpful info, and chat with people with the same interests as you. You just gotta be very careful how you word things on occasion because everyone here, whether it's Jems or RG's or whatever is passionate about it. It's the joy of overcoming typing vs. spoken word. I could say "You suck" and be joking...or I could mean it. A smiley might help I suppose. If you make a generalization, make sure you cover it...lol

By the way...welcome...

Tags
edge trem , edge trems , jem neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode