Trying To Decide What Ibanez To Buy - UK Help Needed! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Trying To Decide What Ibanez To Buy - UK Help Needed!

Hi guys,

I recently owned an Ibanez RG Prestige and I liked it at time but I then sold it. The guitar played well but I found the trem system a bit of a pain to set up, although I didn't have any problems in setting it up and, once it was set up, it stayed in tune remarkably well.

After I sold my RG I bought a Gibson SG, which is the guitar I own now. I really like the SG but I'm getting a little tired of the sound and I'm thinking about buying another Ibanez!

I can't decide what to get and my choice would be between a JEM or a JS model guitar.

I was thinking of the JEM UV70P, although I'm not sure if this would be taking a step back from both my SG and my RG Prestige. The fact that the JEM UV70P is made in Indonesia does put me off a little.

I also thought about the JS24P guitar. But, again, like the JEM I'm not 100% on this.

Can anyone advise me on these two guitars that I have mentioned? My price limit is £1500. I do not want to buy a second hand guitar - it has to be brand new.

Also, for those of you in the UK, I'm wondering what are the best shops to buy Ibanez guitars from? I only really ever use Andertons or Guitar Guitar and they are always very reliable. Is there anywhere else that I should look at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 05:18 PM

Re: Trying To Decide What Ibanez To Buy - UK Help Needed!

I would not buy a new ibanez. Very bad value IMO.

Whats wrong with second hand? For 1500 squiggles you can get a semi-custom RAN.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
I would not buy a new ibanez. Very bad value IMO.

Whats wrong with second hand? For 1500 squiggles you can get a semi-custom RAN.
I just prefer a brand new guitar, fresh from the factory. I don't want a guitar that has wear on it from being played by someone else for a period of time.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 06:13 PM

Oh ok fair enough. At any rate I would stay away from Ibanez, especially if I was in the UK.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 06:41 PM

The UV70p is the 7 string universe, not a jem. Very cool. The jem 70v is a jem. Not played lots of indonesian ibbys, but i do have an EGen8, which was one of the earlier pre premium Indonesian ibanezes. It's really really good imo. Edge 3 isn't the best, but i'm not a trem monster.

I'd recommend getting somewhere and trying a few. The shops you mentioned are good. Sounds Great in Greater Manchester is a good shop for ibanez too.

Shame you can't buy second hand, because you'd be able to pick up a mint mij jem 77whv for £1500.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 10:00 PM

I just got an RG350 from Sweetwater for under $400 - shipped! I returned a Prestige last week and the RG350 with the latest Edge II Trem has been stellar. I had a budget of $1500 as well and almost went with another Prestige model, but this RG350 seems every bit as nice as them for over $1000.00 less. The RG350 is discontinued, Sweetwater (good customer service, recommended) has 1 left.

just my .02..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitycane View Post
I just got an RG350 from Sweetwater for under $400 - shipped! I returned a Prestige last week and the RG350 with the latest Edge II Trem has been stellar. I had a budget of $1500 as well and almost went with another Prestige model, but this RG350 seems every bit as nice as them for over $1000.00 less. The RG350 is discontinued, Sweetwater (good customer service, recommended) has 1 left.

just my .02..
Yes, but your $0.02 is less valuable than the £0.02 that the OP is looking to spend As such the shipping from Sweetwater combined with the taxes the OP would have to pay to get a guitar into the UK would probably cost more than the guitar itself

Ibanez are not particularly bad value here in the UK at the moment, they also have strong resale compared to other brands.

To the OP...

Firstly remember that a guitar, whether it comes from the USA, Japan or Indonesia is still an import. For £1500 you can start to think about custom made guitar like a Jaden Rose, a Stormshadow or a Sabre Wraith, if you're not into custom then Ibanez is a great buy.

I would suggest you decide on the number of strings you want first of all, 6 vs 7 (or 8 ) is the first thing: Then think about a body shape; whether it be the super curvy JS or the more hard edged JEM/RG then go and play them. You need to spend time playing these guitars because you don't have a definite idea of even the sort of guitar you want.

I've not bought a new guitar in ages, when I'm not sure exactly what I want, I like someone else to take the financial hit in case I want to sell it again thereafter. But Guitarguitar is a great mail order place. GAK has a good reputation as well.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Yes, but your $0.02 is less valuable than the £0.02 that the OP is looking to spend As such the shipping from Sweetwater combined with the taxes the OP would have to pay to get a guitar into the UK would probably cost more than the guitar itself

Ibanez are not particularly bad value here in the UK at the moment, they also have strong resale compared to other brands.

To the OP...

Firstly remember that a guitar, whether it comes from the USA, Japan or Indonesia is still an import. For £1500 you can start to think about custom made guitar like a Jaden Rose, a Stormshadow or a Sabre Wraith, if you're not into custom then Ibanez is a great buy.

I would suggest you decide on the number of strings you want first of all, 6 vs 7 (or 8 ) is the first thing: Then think about a body shape; whether it be the super curvy JS or the more hard edged JEM/RG then go and play them. You need to spend time playing these guitars because you don't have a definite idea of even the sort of guitar you want.

I've not bought a new guitar in ages, when I'm not sure exactly what I want, I like someone else to take the financial hit in case I want to sell it again thereafter. But Guitarguitar is a great mail order place. GAK has a good reputation as well.
Thanks for the reply. I'd forgotten all about GAK and Sounds Great Music.

The problem lies in that I live in Northern Ireland so I won't get to be able to play any decent Ibanez before I buy it as the selection here is very, very limited.

What is the JS guitar like to play? I know it has a rounder radius than a lot of the other Ibanez guitars but this doesn't seem to bother Satch, although I'm guessing that he has a feather light touch.

Tags
ibanez , jem , satch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode