Tuning down a half step... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Tuning down a half step...

Does anyone in here with a floating trem tune down to Eb? I was wondering what kind of adjustments to the trem you (may have) had to make.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 04:55 PM

Well it's only a half step. I would just unlock the nut and drop it a half step, then slightly loosen to the claw and I think you'd be set. Only a half step wouldnt affect intonation or neck bow too much.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 03:59 AM

Wouldn't you have to tighten the claw, since the tension would be slightly less and the trem would tend to sit back in the cavity?

Just a thought.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur
Wouldn't you have to tighten the claw, since the tension would be slightly less and the trem would tend to sit back in the cavity?

Just a thought.
Loosening screws that are attached to claw makes bridge rise up from it's cavity = counters loosened strings, right?

I want to change strings from .010 to .009 on my PGM90HAM that is perfectly set up. Correcting intonation is probably all I have to do since it's a fixed bridge?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 05:33 AM

You're right I was just reading my post again, and thought that if I tightened the screws it would sit down even more! Idiot.

Re your question, I believe you've answered yourself correctly. I don't know if you'll have to adjust some on the truss-rod. You'll find out I guess, though if you didn't have to do it when you switched to .10s, I don't see that you'd require it going back. I don't know what the combined pressure of .10s are compared to .09's.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Well, it was a real pain to get it tuned, but it's staying in tune after repeated beatings...heh heh. The only difference is that the trem is slightly leaning back towards the cavity.....I'm thinking I should let it be and be happy with the end result.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 08:17 PM

Loosen the claw a bit man. You'll need to unlock the nut again to get it right though.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Ahh yes, it was inevitable......I noticed (not right away) that when I do a bend around say the 15th fret B string, the low E goes out of tune, and also the A slightly. But they both go back in tune when I release the bend. It really does'nt affect my playing, but it certainly is weird. Would adjusting the claw solve that?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 01:21 AM

I'm tuned to D perfectly fine. I had to loosen the trem a bit, but it's fine...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave
Ahh yes, it was inevitable......I noticed (not right away) that when I do a bend around say the 15th fret B string, the low E goes out of tune, and also the A slightly. But they both go back in tune when I release the bend. It really does'nt affect my playing, but it certainly is weird. Would adjusting the claw solve that?
No. At least not completely. It's nature of floating bridge that other strings go flat when you bend a string.

Tags
fixed bridge , neck bow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode