A-tuning, final report - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

A-tuning, final report

I've finally succeeded with tuning my guitar down a step to A-standard. And boy let me tell you, it's a monstrous result! On a "25.5-scale, I used a set of GHS Boomers, regular .010's, bought an added .052 for the low D and a D'Addario .068 for the low A. The .068 fit without any problems whatsoever, no modifications needed.
The result is a wonderfully even tension throughout. The treble-strings work wonderfully for legato now that they are a little bit looser from the downtuning, thus less force is required to tap them for achieving the desired soundlevel. The low end is consistent, and the low A feels just like it should - it's monstrously heavy and defined, due to the drastically heavier string-gauge. Someone on these boards once said that he was doubting the "25.5-scale's ability to handle the 7th string - and with the gauges currently used in stock string-sets, it's hard to blame him. However, he has now (thankfully enough) been proven wrong. It is possible to cram out great results out of the extended range of a 7-string on the "25.5-inch scale - although it will require rather unusual solutions. Mixing gauges is something that not a lot of people do, but once you've tried it, you won't go back. I sure won't.
Finally, I definately want to put in a good word for the DiMarzio Blaze Custom and Air Norton 7-pickups. Even at low tunings, the warmth of the AN7 doesn't become overpowering, as the tone is still remarkably balanced between warmth and clarity when playing clean. The BC, with its midrange absolutely kills everything else tone-wise in cooperation with the low A. The midrange brings awesome clarity and bass-punch to the insane roar produced when you slam down a few riffs on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 06:13 PM

Re: A-tuning, final report

.68's Absolutely rule. Sure, I generally tune to B and not A, but it cand efinitely stay clear down that extra step, and the extra tension kills for picking.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
.68's Absolutely rule. Sure, I generally tune to B and not A, but it cand efinitely stay clear down that extra step, and the extra tension kills for picking.
Actually, I dislike too much tension - but an .068 tuned to A is perfect. Gives me enough tension to keep up when picking very fast riffs, yet has enough looseness to facilitate easy legato. It's just a perfect balance. I found the middle-way!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 06:14 PM

By the way. Which guitar is it? Fixed bridge? Or Floyd Rose?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

It's an Ibanez RG7321.

Tags
air norton , dimarzio blaze , dimarzio blaze custom , fixed bridge , floyd rose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode