Tuning Problems with SZ2020 TKF? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Tuning Problems with SZ2020 TKF?

I just bought this guitar and i've had it only a week, i love the guitar but the damn thing won't stay in tune? Has anyone had this experience? I'm thinking I'm gonna take it back and get something else that stays in tune properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 12:28 AM

Re: Tuning Problems with SZ2020 TKF?

Well you could try replacing the nut with a well-cut graphite one. Or installing locking tuners. But both would void your ability of returning it.

Are the strings the ones they came with the guitar? If so I wouldn't trust them. Anytime I buy a guitar I ALWAYS take it home and set it up myself with my own strings.

If it means anything, I had an SZ520 which held tune just find. But then again
I installed locking tuners on it the afternoon I brought it home!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickzedd
I just bought this guitar and i've had it only a week, i love the guitar but the damn thing won't stay in tune? Has anyone had this experience? I'm thinking I'm gonna take it back and get something else that stays in tune properly.
The setup from the factory on the SZ2020 kind of sucks, and contributes to tuning problems. Mine came with the adjustable tuning pegs on the plain strings lowered as low as possible, which adds tension and causes the strings to bind in the nut slots. Likewise for the tailpiece, mine was as low as possible. With the setup as it was from the factory the action was so stiff I could hardly play it strung with 9's. Everytime I'd bend a note the string would go out of tune. I raised the height of the tuner shafts on the plain strings, and raised the tailpiece two full turns on each screw. The action is much slinkier now. I also opened the slots on the nut up with files and sandpaper. See if your dealer will give it the once over and do some fine tuning on it.

Last edited by Guitslinger; 12-15-2005 at 02:27 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 03:11 PM

I had tuning stability problems with my rga121.

This is what I did to solve that:
1) Use an old string as a filler gauge to round the edge of the nut (on the side of the tuner). USe the string gauge corresponding to the nut slot.
2) Use a pencil put some carbon in the nut slot to reduce friction.
3) Make a correct knot on the string to avoid its slipage from the tuner.
4) Strech strings properly

Locking nuts and tremolos give very bad habits! Using non-locking nut and bridge requires to come back to basics.

Here is a good tutorial from the PRS camp on how to properly install your strings. Very efficient! See "vintage tuner section"

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/tuners.html

Hope this will help!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 03:13 PM

Major point!

If you can hear the string "pinging" when tuning it, the slot might be to tight for the string. Your dealer should be able to deal with that kind of issue.

Ciao!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 12:19 AM

fortunate enough not to have problems with my SZ2020, just that the guitar was set with very low action out of th box, it's the first guitar which actually had the action raised when i brought it home.

if you think that the machine heads were set down too low into the headstock to an extent that they cause problems at the nut, be informed that they are height adjustable.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
fortunate enough not to have problems with my SZ2020, just that the guitar was set with very low action out of th box, it's the first guitar which actually had the action raised when i brought it home.

if you think that the machine heads were set down too low into the headstock to an extent that they cause problems at the nut, be informed that they are height adjustable.

Did yours come with the tailpiece lowered all the way?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 08:37 PM

no, there's still allowance to slip through a credit card underneath. ok maybe 2 credit cards...

Tags
locking nut , locking nuts , locking tuners , tuning pegs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode