Tuning Trems and Trouble - The Triple T Turmoil - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Tuning Trems and Trouble - The Triple T Turmoil

I've got a Squire Strat from '97. *It's a quality instrument for the price and has been good to me so far, except the trem. *The trem has always popped the whole guitar out of tune every time I go near the thing. *Especially the g-string (no pun intended). *My g-string pops out all the time, it's really annoying (oh, this is not going well). *It tunes fine when I'm raising, but pops down a semitone everytime I tune down. *I've heard that bypassing the string trees can help with this, is this a good idea, or would it reduce nut tension and therefore sustain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 12:37 AM

Tuning Trems and Trouble

I have three suggestions:

1. *Roller trees. *These are 10x better than the "wing" ones.

2. *Roller nut. *Wilkinson makes a fine roller nut. *If you don't want something that fancy, look into a graphite or other composite nut. *Something slippery.

3. *Locking tuners. *Probably the most expensive upgrade, but the one you will love the most.

www.stewmac.com
www.wdmusicproducts.com
Check with your local guitar shop as well.

The good thing is that all of these will work in conjunction with one another. *Start with #1 and work up to #3. *Your tuning problems should end (no promises though...heh heh).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 12:49 AM

Tuning Trems and Trouble

Yeah,
* * * * The string trees are there to increase the breaking angle over the nut for better sustain. It sounds as if your strings are getting caught in the nut...Here's an old trick; Take a sharp #2 pencil, and with the strings out of the way, work in a small amount of the pencil lead in each groove and then pop the strings back in the nut slots.

* * * * * * * * The lead has lubricating properties that will help the strings slide through the slots easier when you are tuning/whammying. If that doesn't help then you may need to have the slot(s) widened a bit. Also, if you jump-up in string gauge you can run into problems like this.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 02:03 AM

Tuning Trems and Trouble

Quote:
Quote: from jeff l on 11:49 pm on Mar. 14, 2001

* * * * * * * * The lead has lubricating properties
That's cause lead is graphite these days, :biggrin: like the nut.
Another suggestion is a white lithium grease in the nut, that also works very well but you need to be careful not to use to much or it gets everywhere for a while. *You can use it on the string saddles too, it seems to improve the string life there, (they don't seem to break as often)
Jeremy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 11:05 AM

Tuning Trems and Trouble

Yeah, I know...I just still like to call it lead for some strange reason.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Tuning Trems and Trouble

Thanks for the help. *I'll try a few of these tricks, starting with the pencil thing due to the very small amount of money I have. lol *My dream would be a locking trem and nut, but that's not gonna happen for a while. *I'm not all that interested in a new guitar, cuz I love the feel of my current guitar, just upgrades. *How exactly do locking tuners work?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 11:59 AM
rgr

Tuning Trems and Trouble

If the string is sticking in the nut, especially the g-string (sorry couldn't resist) locking tuners won't help. *They basically lock the string into the tuner so it can't move around on the peg when it gets loosened by excessive trem abuse. *I would recommend lubing the nut (this is going downhill) in one of the ways recommended above, if the string quits popping and works it's way out of tune more gradually after that, then locking tuners might be the thing to try. *There are also ways to "lock-wrap" the string on the peg that will help, do the first wrap over the string then the rest under it when you restring and that will help lock the string in the tuner you have. *

Roger
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Tuning Trems and Trouble

I tried the pencil thing, that worked great! *The only problem is still my g-string on the string tree. *I'll look into those roller trees, that should pretty much fix my problems enough to my liking. *Thanks for all the help!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 01:47 PM

Tuning Trems and Trouble

Also, you can start drinking heavily, as I was inspired to do with my Squire strat.

It's your best shot at comfort.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 07:10 PM

Tuning Trems and Trouble

How about a whammy pedal? A bit expensive, but real cool.

I'd definitely stay away from the trem if it doesn't lock.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Tuning Trems and Trouble

I've got a really crappy Whammy pedal, and I want a locking Trem. * Oh, by the way, I snapped my first G-string the other day. *lol *Three years of playing, I've snapped Es, As, Bs, but this was my first G. *lol *Now I can finally use the worlds best guitarist joke! *:loco:

Tags
guitar shop , local guitar shop , locking tuners , squire strat , string saddle , string tree , string trees , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode