turn a 7 into a strat? *please help! - need some advice on r - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

turn a 7 into a strat? *please help! - need some advice on r

Hi everybody. *I'm looking for an Ibanez 7 but before I buy one I have a few questions about some mods I'd want done if I bought one, and if they're possible or even desirable. *It's sort of expensive to go hacking around dr. frankenstein style in an rg7 so I need some advice on whether my ideas are sound or not.

I can't use Floyd Roses, I just can't get the hang of them. *I was wondering, is it possible to modify an rg7 and build a strat-style tremolo system? *

That would be the only compromise I can think of short of getting a stoptail. *I admit I haven't considered other trem systems like the wilkinson or those others. *

The reason I ask this is because I'm not sure if the 7 strings put too much pressure on the body to make it impossible, or if routing that much wood out of the body would destroy the tone, or even if the all access neck joint would hold up under the heavier string pull.

If it is possible to do this, can you please advise me on where would look for the hardware to install this tremolo system?

Also, the neck is sort of thin on rg7s and I fancy a neck with a reverse headstock. *Anyone know of ibanez modding luthiers who would cut me a new neck with my chosen radius?

Thanks for your help and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 09:57 PM

turn a 7 into a strat? *please help!

I don't know of any mods, but Squire does make a 7-string Strat. *I know it's no Ibanez, but it's worth checking out. *I tried one of their Stagemaster 7-FRs, and it wasn't all that bad. *Hope that helps.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 01:52 AM

Perhaps you would like to try out an RG7421
It has a non-floating trem (standard Strat-style)
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 08:11 AM

The 7421 doesn't have a trem. *It's a hardtail. *The 7420 has a trem, but it's a TRS-7.

http://www.ibanez.com/2001/rg/rg_spe...rg7420bp.html#

http://www.ibanez.com/2001/rg/rg_spe...7421xlgn.html#
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Personally it sounds to me as if you really should go for a custom built instrument rather than trying to mod an Ibanez so much. It's probably be both cheaper and easier in the long run

If you do decide you really want a modified Ibanez, Brian Calvert's custom shop, UniversalJems, is a great *place to start looking, plus he's a forum member too so you know you can trust him.

(Edited by jono at 7:11 am on May 23, 2001)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 02:36 PM

I had to get used to the FR trem, too, but the Edge is much easier to get used to than others, it's just so much easier to use.
If you want SSS, firts you'll need to order 3 Blaze II middles, then have a pickguard made, and route the body for the middle pickup.
If I had the money, I'd get a second UV777BK and do that. The pole peices alone make that pickup configuration so awesome. Custom staggered strat pickups! High output with ceramic magnets woud give you a unique tone, if a bit bright.
You should still be able to get a 7621, which is a 7620 with stoptail.
Both 76XX models were discontinued in the states, but Ibanez still has some laying around. I was going to order one before I ordered my UV777BK.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 01:13 AM

Actually, on a second look at your post, you seem to want a completely different guitar from an RG7.
Look into other brands.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies.

GZeus, it's not so much that I want a different guitar, I just want options on an Ibanez 7 that Ibanez don't provide (a 1 piece maple neck with a thicker radius and reversed headstock, and a Fender Stratocaster style tremolo system instead of their LowPro Edge system). *Ibanez 7s are well made but their customization options are very limited, they pretty much make them all the same and the variations on them are very minor, maybe a different colour or different shape on the trem bar. *I wanted an Ibanez 7 string that's built like an older Strat (sort of like Andy Timmins' Ibanez but with the extra string). *

The Wizard necks are rather thin, but Ibanez doesn't sell necks with bigger radii, they don't even sell replacement necks; and nobody else makes Ibanez style necks. *And, in order to have a Strat style tremolo system put in, I'd have to route out the wood myself and buy the hardware but I'm not sure if
1. I can find a Strat style tailpiece with room for all 7 string saddles, or
2. a Strat style tremolo is really a good idea with the extra pressure a 7th string puts on the guitar and the all access neck joint. *Would the extra springs I'd have to put in make the trem unusable or the tuning unstable? *

The mods I'd want are deeper than simply bending a trem bar into a U shape or painting the body silver. *My mods are complete overhauls and it may not be worth it to change a guitar so radically. *That's why I asked you all for advice.

Thank you Jono for the custom idea and the link to UniversalJems. *Brian Calvert does amazing work and I like the mods he does. *A friend knows a guy who hotrods Marshalls named Tom Wojeck and told me he's into building guitars now. *I'll speak to Tom next month when he's free about building a custom guitar. *
Thank you Skaught and Two hands for your comments. *If the custom guitar work I want is too expensive or impractical, then I think an RG7421 or RG7621 is more to my speed than a 7620/7420. *I'll also look at the Squier Stagemasters which I admit I never really considered before. *

(Edited by 7dayadvantage at 3:08 pm on May 31, 2001)

Tags
access neck joint , brian calvert , custom guitar , custom shop , fender strat , fender stratocaster , floyd rose , maple neck , neck joint , pro edge , reverse headstock , reversed headstock , strat pickups , strat style , string saddle , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode