Turning my exsisting 6 string into a Baritone - Can it be do - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Turning my exsisting 6 string into a Baritone - Can it be do

Hello i have a BC rich i no longer have a use for and im wondering if I could turn it into a baritone. Is it just simple enough as just putting the right gaudges on?

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 09:13 PM

Turning my exsisting 6 string into a Baritone

Downtuning with a heavier guage will work to a point. *I saw an ad in a guitar magazine (can't remember the company) for a neck that you replace your existing neck with to make it a Baritone guitar (then you can use the same string guage) called "Deep 6" I think. *

(Edited for minor corrections)

(Edited by Two hands31 at 9:14 pm on Jan. 3, 2002)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 10:13 PM

WD Music Products makes the Deep 6 line of necks. Warmoth also does Baritone conversion necks in your choice of woods and frets.

I'm taking the drop-tuning approach on one of my guitars. It won't be a true baritone, but i'm probably going drop the whole thing two semitones to D, and the bottom string down to C (drop-C tuning). I'm doing this on a standard 25 1/2" scale neck but i'm going to string it with 11's instead of my regular 9's. GHS even makes a set of "lo tune" Boomers specifically for low tuning.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 10:29 PM

Anyone daring enough to try the Staind G tuning? *lol
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I'm taking the drop-tuning approach on one of my guitars. It won't be a true baritone, but i'm probably going drop the whole thing two semitones to D, and the bottom string down to C (drop-C tuning). I'm doing this on a standard 25 1/2" scale neck but i'm going to string it with 11's instead of my regular 9's. GHS even makes a set of "lo tune" Boomers specifically for low tuning.
i keep my Jem7DBK (and my other guitars) tuned to drop-C and have had no problems whatsoever. i use blue steel 10's, and only had to make minor trem adjustments from standard tuning. good bottom end, but not so low that it gets muddy.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 01:13 AM

I did this to a Strat a few years back, actually had to switch to a couple of Bass strings to get the correct tension on the lower register without it being to loose. It'll work but you'll find problems along the way if you can't adjust the slot's in the nut to accomidate the heavier guage strings....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 07:37 AM

I've tried the Staind tuning before its weird but I can see how it lets him be more creative. I dont know if anyone here has ever posted his actual tuning other then saying the low string is a G#. He has 3 or 4 other tunings but they are minor changes to his main tuning which is G#, C#, G#, C#, F#, A#
The way to look at it is Drop-C# (drop-d down a half step) with a low G#. Not my cup of tea but very original.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 12:08 PM

For all my stage guitars - acoustics - I tune everything down to B!! It evolved from years of standard tuning slipping, then tuning the guitar to itself whenever it was necessary. The tuning slipped, then I started adding walking basslines, and my voice, ..... Today it's really deep but the sound kicks, all from an acoustic! I play the bottom like a bass, walk it the chords I play on top. I gig 3-6 times a week, so the strain on the voice is not so heavy after a while.

Eric
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 04:12 AM

I don't know if you've heard of this band, but we opening for 40 Grit a couple of months back. *They use Fender Strats with the Deep 6 Baritone necks tuned to low A. *I must admit, the neck are VERY stable and worth the price. *My 2 cents.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2002, 02:49 AM

I tune my seven string to two whole steps down the top string being g. * You need thick strings for this as it tends to feel like spaghetti but the pinch harmonics are unholy. *LOL *I dont use this tuning a whole lot, but in my opinion this is what the seven string was designed for. *Ultra low tunings. *

Tags
baritone guitar , fender strat , fender strats , guage strings , guitar mag , pinch harmonics , string guage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode