Two questions about necks - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Two questions about necks

1) is there a functional difference between 1 and 3 piece maple necks? What about 5 piece maple/walnut necks?

2) Why does the neck on the RG350DX look like the frets stick out past the edge of the neck? (see this pic from Ibanez.com: link) The non DX models don't appear to have that issue (example pic, RG350MP: link). Is that just a bad picture or do the frets really stick over the edge? These guitars are all the same price so why would they get different quality neck?

edit - every ibanez.com link I post here gets replaced with ****s, so I guess I'll just host and link the pics in question instead:

RG350DX with frets that stick past the edge of the neck:

RG350MP with smoother looking frets:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 02:12 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Two questions about necks

The DX has white binding, which makes it look like the frets are sticking out.

The multi piece necks are supposedly stronger, I cannot tell you whether or not this is true, but I have played them all and they all play great.

I have a wide variety of Ibanez guitars, and have played dozens more - I haven't played an Ibanez neck that I wouldn't mind playing all the time.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
The DX has white binding, which makes it look like the frets are sticking out.
Oh, so you're saying it's the same color as the background so it doesn't show up in that pic and makes it look like the frets stick out too far.

If so, good. That looked really bad I dig the shark tooth inlay so I was hoping it was the same quality as the rest.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:42 PM

Yep that's all it is - an optical illusion because of the white binding. I have an RG with this exact neck on it. Good playing neck. I did recently upgrade it to a Jem neck though & am considering selling the RG neck... Good neck though!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 10:25 PM

Reviews: 21

Yeah, you can see the white binding down where the neck meets the body. It's just a bad choice of a background for the "enlarge" pic.
If the Wizard 3 is like the old Wizard 2 the maple board version without the binding is an awesome neck! Very comfortable!

Tags
ibanez necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode