uhh... NGD! ... my "replica" has arrived!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
uhh... NGD! ... my "replica" has arrived!!

hahaha Wasnt expecting it for another 3 weeks.

First impressions...

1) Trem sucks. Thats gone as soon as i get my gold edge 3 in the mail. We all knew this though. EDIT: after bolting on the trem arm, its actually better then the LO TRS II... It's tight, and you can actually flutter it....

2) the inlay.... uh, its actually pretty damn good. its abolone and pearl, or at least a DAMN good impersonation of it. Im actually shockd. THe leaves are too small though.

3) hard ware is Mixed. The gold is rubbing off the knobs, and the pots arent extremely tight. The rest of it actually looks pretty good, good color. the plates in the back dont fit well. However, the pearloid effect is quite up to par.

4) Heres where you guys are probably going to hate me. The neck feels the same as my JEM's. Its unfinished already, which I love. It has the right dimensions. They definitely copied the wood at least. The weight is the same as my alder Jem, maybe a smidge heavier.

I am gonna give it a quick tune, truss rod adjustment and setup, and give it a play here. I'll let you guys know what my thoughts are.

EDIT: ON a cool note, I got an ibanez owners guide (its real! lmao), an allen wrench for the locking nuts, and a small screwdriver for the truss rod cover. OFF THEY GO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Re: uhh... NGD! ... my "replica" has arrived!!

LMAO its liscensed under "floyd royd pats" hahaha

EDIT: I set it up for low action, and it actually is pretty decent action wise. The electronics are completely garbage. these make "vintage output" humbuckers sound like d-activators.

Last edited by linuxpenguin; 01-26-2011 at 02:51 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:06 PM

Are you referring to Chinese "replica"?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:13 PM

my trs II flutters?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:38 PM

Reviews: 6

Pics, or this isn't happening.....
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracatac View Post
Are you referring to Chinese "replica"?
yes a chinese jem. How can someone register in January and have 320 posts anyway
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:08 PM

Reviews: 39

I know AlaskaBat is going to slay me for this ---

But you should send in your Ibanez registration card that came with it x_x

---

Ok, but seriously, the fretwork...? Plus beat on it for a few weeks and report back.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:15 PM

Reviews: 25

out of principle you should use it for firewood....
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicProvocateur View Post
I know AlaskaBat is going to slay me for this ---

But you should send in your Ibanez registration card that came with it x_x

He should. Ibanez needs a kick in their asses for it anyway as they seem to give a crap, besides that crappy little banner they have on the website. Rich is single handedly doing more to get these listings removed than anyone at Hoshino. Shameful

Considering that EVH is going after anyone successfully who even posts a EVH Design Mutt for sale one would assume that Ibanez could do more than they do.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
Pics, or this isn't happening.....
uh why isnt it? I told you guys I was buying one a couple weeks ago lol.

Jym ellis -> I've never had a trs flutter properly. Maybe just the ones I played on were worn out already or something.

Dragster -> I agree. I really only bought this thing out of complete curiousity. I had a jam session with some friends for a couple hours, and after the strings were stretched out, it held its tune despite me beating on the trem. So thats a plus. The pickups are crap, I had to almost double my normal volume to be heard. The electronics in general are junk, the pots crackle, and they need to be replaced. I think with a simple electronics swap it would be a decent gigging instrument. The neck is really what suprised me the most. The inlays are actually kinda decent. They are obviously a little different, but they are made of the right stuff and "look right" at 2 feet away. The damn fret board is made of ebony for gods sake. The locking nut is weird as hell, as it screws from the bottom AND the top. The tuners were loose as a goose, but tightening them fixed that. The action was about 3/4" of an inch high at first, but when I went to mess with the truss rod, it was COMPLETELY loose. Like kinda floppin around in there, and I could see the bend in the neck a little. I tightened it up good and hard, and the action is now pretty low with no fretting out except for the 3 places, the 23rd fret on the E and B string, and the 8th fret on the G string. Everywhere is solid.

Verdict -> Good "players" guitar. They really should stop making counterfits, pay their workers more then 85c an hour, and get some decent electronics and their own designs. The neck blew me away. It FEELS like a JEM neck. They could make a sweet entry/mid level guitar for people and not break the bank. I would buy one, for sure.

IbanezFreak777 -> why? I've got 2 jems, 1 JS model, and a s540 on the way. Not to mention the other many ibanezes i've purchased over the years. I've given enough money to ibanez to warrant satisfying a curiousity.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 PM

if you already have jems then why would you waste the money out of curiosity. Also you are perpetuating, the illegal trade of these guitars and become part of the problem not the solution.
Your just devaluing your real jems and everybody elses...

So cheers for that mate !!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
if you already have jems then why would you waste the money out of curiosity. Also you are perpetuating, the illegal trade of these guitars and become part of the problem not the solution.
Your just devaluing your real jems and everybody elses...

So cheers for that mate !!

Its not really a waste. When I get around to replacing the electronics and hardware, it's going to be debadged and I will use it for gigs. It PLAYS just fine. Like a good, mid level guitar actually. They will be sanctioned soon enough, and its not like im going to be selling on craigslist any time soon... "but you gave them money to continue operations!" Yes, I gather that. But, like I said, Ibanez has enough of my money, and they arent going anywhere. Real jems arent going to go down in value because a few counterfiets are out there. If anything, awareness will be made because of what Im doing. I've already dismantled my older jem for a 1 on 1 comparison of EVERYTHING to better educate people.

for example, The body width of the right side horn (as you are looking at the pickups) is 1 3/4" wide, but the fakes are only 1 5/16's wide. The 21'st and 22nd frets of the jem stand proud of the body allowing the AANJ to be used, but on the fakes the 21'st fret meets the body. There will be more dissection soon. as far as im concerned, these fakes will be made regardless. BUT if I can help one person to not get screwed by some ******* on craigslist, then its worth it to me.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post

Dragster -> I agree. I really only bought this thing out of complete curiousity. I had a jam session with some friends for a couple hours, and after the strings were stretched out, it held its tune despite me beating on the trem.
Not blaming you man. You did well , and maybe your review will make more people buy the not so bad fake jems which in return hopefully will wake Ibanez up to protect us.

Not sure if that theory works
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Its not really a waste. When I get around to replacing the electronics and hardware, it's going to be debadged and I will use it for gigs. It PLAYS just fine. Like a good, mid level guitar actually. They will be sanctioned soon enough, and its not like im going to be selling on craigslist any time soon... "but you gave them money to continue operations!" Yes, I gather that. But, like I said, Ibanez has enough of my money, and they arent going anywhere. Real jems arent going to go down in value because a few counterfiets are out there. If anything, awareness will be made because of what Im doing. I've already dismantled my older jem for a 1 on 1 comparison of EVERYTHING to better educate people.

for example, The body width of the right side horn (as you are looking at the pickups) is 1 3/4" wide, but the fakes are only 1 5/16's wide. The 21'st and 22nd frets of the jem stand proud of the body allowing the AANJ to be used, but on the fakes the 21'st fret meets the body. There will be more dissection soon. as far as im concerned, these fakes will be made regardless. BUT if I can help one person to not get screwed by some ******* on craigslist, then its worth it to me.

Fair enough...

Not something I will be doing anytime soon...

Enjoy the Chibanez !!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 PM

Reviews: 39

When you replace the electronics, I wanna see internal pics. Detailed, sir!

With build numbers. Most electronic parts have manufacturer origin build numbers on them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode