UK exclusive S series - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 5,174
UK exclusive S series

Chapper's and the Captain demo these gorgeous S serues guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr6JpA1pZt8

What didn't make a lot of sense, they are 670 yet MII. Hmmm...
MatiasTolkki is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 06:26 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,511
Re: UK exclusive S series

Those look nice.

It's funny how in the comments some think Ibanez equals death metal. I think metal and Ibanez are very close knit, but many just think it's a loud and fast guitar not used for other stuff.

The S seems like a perfect crossover guitar which obviously does metal (Testament) but is pretty much like a sleek stratocaster that can do anything a strat is usually called up to do. It doesn't look intentionally menacing like the Xiphos or MTM.
63Blazer is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 5,174
Re: UK exclusive S series

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Those look nice.

It's funny how in the comments some think Ibanez equals death metal. I think metal and Ibanez are very close knit, but many just think it's a loud and fast guitar not used for other stuff.

The S seems like a perfect crossover guitar which obviously does metal (Testament) but is pretty much like a sleek stratocaster that can do anything a strat is usually called up to do. It doesn't look intentionally menacing like the Xiphos or MTM.
Agree there. The S series have more rounded edges and look less mean than even RGs imo.

I dont like the rap Ibanez gets for doing only metal, two of the longest supporters of Ibanez today are George Benson and Pat Metheny, neither of which are metal.
MatiasTolkki is offline  
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:57 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,511
Re: UK exclusive S series

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Agree there. The S series have more rounded edges and look less mean than even RGs imo.

I dont like the rap Ibanez gets for doing only metal, two of the longest supporters of Ibanez today are George Benson and Pat Metheny, neither of which are metal.
I think the visual of many a Scandinavian metal band, who the kids here in the states worship, is a big part of the Ibanez legacy. While George and Pat use Ibanez the fans are less influenced by that. They look like other jazz guitars but something about the RG shape and its long history with all types of metal, plus that Ibanez logo, are forever cemented into the history that is metal. I think the only other logo as iconic in modern metal is the Marshall logo. I don't know why modern metal guys simply don't don brown SGs (like Angus Young) or Charvels as much. Ibanez almost has a corner on the modern metal scene, especially with 7s, 8s, and the popular Wizard neck. I don't think Ibanez (or Schechter or Jackson) will easily shake the "metal-only" moniker. Gretsch is stuck with rockabilly but can do so much more, and Rickenbacker is a retro or alternative guitar that can also do so much more.

Back in the '80s and early 90s it was even more pronounced. You had your Joe and Steve, but then there was Vinny Moore, Paul Gilbert, Reb Beach, Phil Collen, Alex Skolnick, and others. If it wasn't Jackson/Charvel then, it was Ibanez when we were talking about shredder metal. The guitar magazines on the newsstand was the way to see what was going on, since there was no internet, and besides all the articles with the metalhead guitarists who played Ibanez, the company littered every publication with ads pushing the metal models much more than the Bensons or some Ibanez Artist used by a non-metal artist. A big part of cornering metal (with Jackson/Charvel) was by design. Ibanez knew what they were doing but hurt themselves in the long run with legions of non–lead centered guitarists who went the safe route with Fender and Gibson.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 08-19-2014 at 12:06 PM.
63Blazer is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 5,174
Re: UK exclusive S series

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
I think the visual of many a Scandinavian metal band, who the kids here in the states worship, is a big part of the Ibanez legacy. While George and Pat use Ibanez the fans are less influenced by that. They look like other jazz guitars but something about the RG shape and its long history with all types of metal, plus that Ibanez logo, are forever cemented into the history that is metal. I think the only other logo as iconic in modern metal is the Marshall logo. I don't know why modern metal guys simply don't don brown SGs (like Angus Young) or Charvels as much. Ibanez almost has a corner on the modern metal scene, especially with 7s, 8s, and the popular Wizard neck. I don't think Ibanez (or Schechter or Jackson) will easily shake the "metal-only" moniker. Gretsch is stuck with rockabilly but can do so much more, and Rickenbacker is a retro or alternative guitar that can also do so much more.
I got funny looks the couple times I went to a local blues session bar with my Ibanez. They all use Fender strats or Tellies, and anything besides that seemed to be looked down upon even though any Ibanez can stand up to Fender stuff.

I think part of the reason Ibanez has the modern metal scene cornered is because they were one of the first companies to move into extended range guitars, and baritone guitars. They saw the direction metal was going, and thanks to the success of Steve vai's Universe, helped push the 7 string and 8 string market.
MatiasTolkki is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ishibashi Exclusive RG8228E Jason in Tokyo All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 46 08-01-2013 09:20 AM
New X-Series? Japan Exclusive? IBNZ_RG All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 4 05-19-2011 02:46 PM
g3 exclusive rehearsal andrewsfury Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 7 03-29-2010 11:33 AM
Japan Exclusive ESP's IBNZ_RG All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 14 08-16-2009 09:54 AM
RG2EX1, Guitar Center exclusive... jm1681 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 23 12-10-2006 11:16 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome