UK stockist - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
UK stockist

There has been a few posts about where to buy in the uk and buying on the net, but, is there a shop in the UK that has a good range of prestige rg and s models to "try before I buy". I'd rather play the guitar before I part with my hard earned. When I bought a les paul a few years back I must have tried every shop in and around manchester before settling on the one I eventually bought. I knew I had a good 'un, rather than taking pot luck on an internet purchase. I'd rather not take a chance as the difference between the best and worse was massive!
I'm based in south cumbria, but I will travel to try and buy. I was in London last summer and was dissapointed by the lack of choice in denmark st, OK if you want to buy a vintage strat but ibanez, no choice at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: UK stockist

Sounds Great in Manchester and Machinehead in Hitchin are the two most "Ibanez Friendly" places I know of, but it's best to phone for their current stocks before making a trip.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 03:11 PM

At least you should get 7 days to return a guitar if its not to the standard you expected under the distance selling regs, its just a pain in the ass having to go through the process.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 03:16 PM

If you're in Cumbria - a trip to Sounds Great is your best bet - Top blokes and always a pretty good selection in stock
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 03:18 PM

You know what, I would've recommended Sounds Great a while back, but after hearing a few things people have said whilst being served there it's put me right off the place. Not only that but the service I've received hasn't been great with the exception of the big tall guy with long hair. When they stuff you in that tiny sound booth with amps stacked high and leave you to struggle with the gear you want to try out you just think "Someone is going to get injured here" and when they do (because it WILL happened) there will be a huge compensation claim and it'll be their own damn fault. I've struggled in there a few times lugging amps in to try and if health ans safety saw any of that sh*t there would be hell to pay!

I know some folks here like them, and I used to, but that's just my 2p's worth on that shop as of this very moment in time.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg5150 View Post
If you're in Cumbria - a trip to Sounds Great is your best bet - Top blokes and always a pretty good selection in stock
Top blokes if you're spending a lot of cash, unquestionably.

I over heard one of them a few weeks back saying "Yeah, I don't give a sh*t about any sales unless they're over a grand. Anything less isn't a sale to me."

Yep, seriously
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I've found with Sounds Great that if you go mid-week they let you try out in the main shop area which is a far better way to try out and compare guitars.

Never actually got into the tardis there
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 03:47 PM

+1 for sounds great - I was so impressed with the helpful attitude when I bought a pedal (even pointed out a cheaper one that I did end up preferring)

I've bought a fair bit of gear there but the purchases have been spread out enough that I'm not a familiar face - just nice guys with good gear. We could do with more shops like that in the north, like electro used to be and coda and machinehead are in the south.

Cheers
John
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 04:29 PM

They must've just sold something for a grand
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
They must've just sold something for a grand
LOL - could be!

(or maybe I was lucky - still liked the stock they had in though)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Been a while since ive been to sounds great. I actually bought my les paul there. Had a problem with the tone pot, the tech replaced it with a pot with the wrong type of taper to it. When I took it back he said whats the problem do you use it? On a 1500 guitar it should be right. He ended up getting a new one from gibson (that was a few years ago). But I've heard a few negatives recently. Email's not replied to etc, although I know the sales guys can be a good bunch.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 09:09 AM

What i don't get, is that when you see there adverts in Guitarist etc....... it make sit sound like they are the size of Sound Control in Salford, Manchester and stock loads of stuff.
When in reality they have not a great lot in there - just a few from each manuf.
They have not much in the way of Ibanez.
The guy with the long "fluffy" hair is indeed a nice chap!

I went to have a look at those Pedaltrain boards - too dear! 169

Went To Roadhouses, and they had a T-Rex version for 99 or 69 in a Cordura gigbag........ Works a treat!

I tried one of those ARX Customs in there - very uninspring! On the Ibanez site they sound great, with a great spec.....
But they just had that very "plastic" Korean feel to them........

Max
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 02:35 PM

Andertons in Guildford, Surrey
Guitar Village in Farnham, Surrey
Sound Control stores where they actually have a decent selection of them, I don't think anywhere has most/all of the lineup though
PMT in Birmingham
Fret Music, Southampton
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
I guess its a case of spend the morning on the phone to see who's got what and then go travelling!

cheers.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 06:51 AM

Sorry fellow Cumbrian, I should've got in earlier but here the info you need anyway.

Trip North on M6 to Carlisle = http://www.omegamusic.co.uk/
They're Ibanez dealers. If they don't have the guitar you want in stock they'll order it for you.

T E B A Y junction on M6 (Head for Orton) = http://www.madmonksmusic.co.uk/
Again, Ibanez dealers and can order you what you need.

^ The truth is these guys don't sell many guitars so you can understand why they're prices might not be as good as somewhere like GAK etc. Also don't expect any informed advice from either of these two shops. As freindly as all the staff members/owners are my Wife would be able to give you more information on the Ibanez brand.

Just for good measure,
Short trip South on M6 = http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/cata...tric%20Guitars

These guys don't stock Ibanez but they do have some intersting guitars. They know exactly what they're talking about and if you ask them "what's the best you can do for me?" you'll often find a good sized discount.

I used to live in Manchester so I've had plenty of experience with Sounds Great. The last time I was there (roughly Aug 05) I vowed I would never go back again. I spent ages being ignored (This was realy awkward as I'd taken my Father along with me to have a look and on the drive there I'd been telling him what a good shop it was) When I did ask to try out one of the PRS guitars it was suggested to me that I couldn't afford it (??) after more waiting and being made to feel second class they let me try out a Peavy amp with some sort of Jackson. As soon as they heard I could play they were all over me and Dad like a rash with the "hard sell" tactics.
As we were leaving Dad passed me the keys and told me to drive home. I might have looked a little scruffy but it was worth their rudeness to see they're faces as I climbed into dad's 911 that they'd been staring at through the window (couldn't get the seat adjust too easily though and had to pretend I'd dropped something. That took a bit of the shine off it though)

Anyway, the three shops above should get you started with some "local shops for Local people". If you need more info give me a shout.

Eggy

Tags
ibanez dealer , les paul , prs guitar , prs guitars , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode