Ultra neck with maple fretboard - from what? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Ultra neck with maple fretboard - from what?

Hi,
I picked up a 22-fret Ibanez neck with a maple board awhile back for a project. I'm just now getting around to putting it on something. At the time I bought it, I didn't really know what it was. Now, having looked at the codes stamped in the heel (UALML), and the old thread where Rich and Toshiro discussed the codes, I know it is an Ultra (other codes mean Angled headstock, Locknut, Maple fretboard, with Large frets). The inlays are small black dots, and the neck has the old style joint.

I recall a few mentions of 540R's with maple fretboards in the forum, and I believe there have been one or two for sale. Am I remembering correctly? I don't see those in the catalogs and was wondering what year(s) they were sold. Is that the only possibility for this neck? The only other maple board 22-fretter with locking nut I can think of is the 94-ish 540S, but they had oval inlays, AANJ, and "S-series" on the headstock.

So is the 540R the only possible source for this neck? Year?

Thanks much,
Bert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 03:34 AM

Re: Ultra neck with maple fretboard - from what?

Could it be a RX neck ?

RX started in 1993...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 07:03 AM

Or 442R, have a look here: http://www.ibanezregister.com/images.../442R%20AB.jpg

Edit: Sorry, forgot you've got locking nut. :-)
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Hi,
Were there any RX with lock nuts? I didn't see any with a quick look in the catalogs. I kind of doubt it's an RX though, just because it's an Ultra profile.
Bert
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 01:37 PM

sorry, I had not noticed it had a locking nut...

No lucking nut on RX...

Is the headstock the same shape as a RG or S ?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Yep, nothing distinctive about the headstock: black with the usual silver logo. Looks just like my older S and Radius headstocks. It has Gotoh tuners. and not too much else to go on. There's really no particular reason why I need to know what it came off of, other than I'm just curious.
Bert
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 05:36 PM

That's probably from a Radius. I had one for awhile and sold it to Ashley Bass. Then I think he got another one somewhere. (for all I know that's where you got it) They're rare, but there were a lot of "US Custom" Radii, some with fancy graphics and such. They had some maple boards. Mine came on a Jewel Blue radius. It's really the only possibility, because they didn't really do custom Sabers with ultra necks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Frank! That's pretty much what I figured. I thought I remembered that Ashley Bass sold one awhile back. I picked up this neck on a whim for around $70 if I recall. That was a couple of years ago (or longer). It was going on a strat body, but now I'm considering putting it on one of my 540R's just to have one with something different. I'm pretty fond of the Ultra necks so I should use it on something I care about rather than a toss-off project.
Later,
Bert

Tags
fret ibanez neck , gotoh tuners , ibanez neck , lock nut , locking nut , maple fret , maple fretboard , strat body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode