UMTO (Unidentified Maple Topped Object) siting - Rare RG's a - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
UMTO (Unidentified Maple Topped Object) siting - Rare RG's a

I've never heard of these RGs or seen them in a catalog. *They both say RG Prestige. *

One is has quilted Maple top with a transparent Purple stain. *It has holographic binding on the sides and offset dots on an ebony fretboard and matching purple headstock.

The other is a blonde transparent quilted top with ebony finger board and double offset dots at the 12 fret. *It has creme binding. *Both have the prestige hand finished neck and more sculpted AANJ. *What are these guitars. *Both are located at Guitar Center in Houston Texas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 07:51 PM

UMTO (Unidentified Maple Topped Object) siting

Looks like I'll be going to Texas this weekend... LOL!

--B
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

yeah, they're beautiful, and only between $1000.00 and $1999.99. *if only I was rich, or at least Rich (Harris)
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 08:56 PM
Vendor

The purple in what's called a 'Texas Special' custom run made for GC. Can't remember what the other is, but I know Kev does.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 10:36 PM

Ask, and you shall recieve:

Here are a couple of pics from last year. *I don't know why I didn't buy this one...I'm retarded....

I'll dig up the model number, but it's something like "RG-1-DPP".
•Tone Zone/Blue Velvet/Air Norton
•JEM10-esque abalone binding (bound neck & headstock too)
•SWEET quilted maple top
...and it played like "buttah".
They came in NT (natural) and TRD (transparent red). *GC also got a couple of the 3120's in TBK (transparent black). *Call the manager at the GC in Dallas for prices and details: *be sure to sit down- they're expensive (about $2K). *Limited run too: *approx. 12 of each.

Oddly enough, I'm wearing that exact same shirt right now.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Kev, if you're interested, I've seen them (in person) as low as $1699.99 (for the natural) and $1999.99 for the purple one. *And yes they do play shweet. *If I only had a couple grand lying around.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 10:51 PM

Chris- in case you missed it, that's me in the pic.:biggrin:

Maybe once the new vehicle is here, I'll look for another one. *
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

So you had your chance and you blew it?! * *oh man, it sure makes me wish I had a bunch of money.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 11:27 AM

I have seen a number of Prestige’s float through GC/Houston in the past year. I don’t know why they get them because they never seem to sell. I remember a blond quilt with gold hardware that looked absolutely awesome. Perhaps the $2400 price tag was the reason it sat for almost a year. I entertained the thought of buying many times. Only my need for an MC kept me from buying it.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 12:10 PM

Bob, I saw that one also at GC. *I really liked it but the binding was a bit greenish yellow. *It really didn't match. *Overall the guitar was BEAUTIFUL. *Most importantly it played great.
Out,
GP
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Bob, and Pri, I bet we all live pretty close, we should get together this weekend and raise some hell at GC. *I live in Kingwood, but I'm always over by the GC on 45. *Anyone feel like a little get together? *We can go in unannounced, grab the JEM's, J-Customs and UV's and fool around... *In an attempt to stay on topic, I'll agree that the blonde one's binding was a little creamier than I prefer, just white would've been nicer. *But it still played ultra smooth.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 07:34 AM

There are a couple of RGs similar to these but with gold hardware up on eBay as of this morning. I think they're J-Customs. Each has an openning bid of $1049... I put links up in the Reseller Discussion area.

(Edited by Jimi D at 6:35 am on Feb. 7, 2001)
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 11:15 AM

I’m always up for a get together with Jemsite folks. GP came by the studio a couple weeks ago. It was a lot of fun.

Now that there are a few of us in Houston, I’ll have to plan a Texas, mini-Jemfest so we can get our guitars together, heat up a few tubes, char some mammal flesh and cut some heads.

Any excuse to get together is fine. Don’t be afraid to e-mail me. I know I look scary, but I’m really nice. :biggrin:

We should also get together and patronize our other Jemsite brother’s band. Kent plays in Rat Ranch. They’re a great band that plays locally almost every other week. It’s always so cool to see a VWH on stage.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 11:56 AM

Bob- next time you go to one of Kent's shows, ask him when the Rat Ranch "mascot" plush toys come out. *
Rachel's dying for one. *:biggrin:

Guys- check out: *
http://www.ratranch.com
The t-shirts are pretty damn funny. *Oh yeah- and Kent's pretty cool.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 12:57 PM

I saw one of these purple guitars at Guitar Center in Austin as well. *It's been there since they opened and I'd say it's been about 2 months since the last time I was there.

Might just still be there!

Gabe

Tags
abalone binding , air norton , custom guitar , custom guitars , ebony finger board , ebony fretboard , finger board , quilted maple , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode