Unhappy RG1570Z-JB Owner - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy RG1570Z-JB Owner

Hi

I have a 2010 RG1570Z-JB and have had no end of problems with it from day one.

As a relative beginner (I hadn't played guitar seriously for about 20 years) I though that this would be the guitar for me. So I went ahead and ordered a new one from my Ibanez dealer. It took quite a while (3 months) to arrive but I was very pleased on receipt. That's when it all started to go wrong.

I noticed after a month or 2 that there was a lot of buzzing going on with the fretboard so I took it back to the store and had it set up again. Again not long after I noticed the same problems again. This time I took the guitar to another store to have it set up again. The tech at this store said there was a problem in that the neck wasn't straight. I said, should I take it back to the store I bought it from and ask for a replacement or refund? He said that I would just get fobbed off and wouldn't bother. Stupidly I took his advice and let him set it up again. So I carried on playing my not so perfect guitar a bit longer.

Then it started to grate on me that the guitar was having continual problems. I took the guitar to another guiter luthier who confirmed that the first fret was slighly lower than the rest and the neck was slighly bent. This was what was causing all the problems.

By this time the guitar had passed the 1 year warranty point but I went back to the original guitar store anyway in the hope that they might be able to do something. They agreed with the previous luthiers analaysis and they sent it back to Ibanez (Headstock Distribution) to see if they might help.

Ibanez's response was that the guitar was within their "tolerance levels". I find this really hard to believe since an Ibanez dealer and at least 2 other guitar luthiers agree that the neck has serious problems. So much for Ibanez quality control!

So my next question is, can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere I could purchase a new neck for my guitar please? Or being that the guitar cost £700.00 of my hard earned would the cost of a new neck be pointless?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Gooch; 03-08-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 06:43 AM

Re: Unhappy RG1570Z-JB Owner

might be worth seeing if you can get the frets recrowned/dressed maybe.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 AM

I believe and rg550 neck will fit, as song as its an aanj version, there's a few on ebay right now.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far.

Unfortunately I can't see much on ebay in the way of necks. I did a search on RG550 and aanj. It came back with one neck from a 1987 guitar in the US. Thanks for your help though I'll keep checking.

I also emailed Headstock distribution in the UK but don't hold out much hope regarding past experieince with them.

The most likely solution if any I think will be to get the frets recrowned/dressed as suggested by G4ZZ if this is a viable solution. I'll have to look into it further.

Thanks for your help so far.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 12:31 PM

These necks come up pretty often on eBay, so just be patient.

Is the first fret just low or is the neck back bowed? Have you tried loosening the truss rod? It might be overtightened. It sounds like most of the people you've been dealing with are worthless.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Vendor

Who you have been dealing with are worthless. Any good tech would have seen it and just told you it had to be cut, done the job and you'd have been playing it the way it should be ever since.

You don't need a new neck, you need a good tech.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 PM

I had a similar story but back in the early 80s, which many consider the heyday of Ibanez quality control! While Ibanez today is still considered one of the best, there are problems but nothing like what has happened in the past with Fender and Gibson.

Anyway, I had a red Ibanez Blazer 550 with sharp black pickguard and matching black pickups. It was the bomb but the neck was put in where the high e string was too close to the edge and would easily fall off the fretboard. I went to try and get it fixed but the luthier said that short of taking the neck off, filling the holes, and redrilling there was not much I could do.

So I was under warranty and sent the guitar back to the dealer and they arranged for a "fix" with Ibanez. Low and behold they sent me a brand new guitar, OK, but the high e string was again just as close to the edge. It appears that maybe that's how they drilled the holes on the neck and thought that was acceptable for that model. The new guitar, same Blazer 550 model, now had a white pickguard and white parts and the black was no longer available. Had I known that the issue with the high e string was probably common, I would have liked to have stayed with original Blazer. The Blazer with black pickguard was a short lived model and is more rare than the white pickguard Blazers that took over after it.

I don't know why Ibanez, who were best known for their out of factory setup, were not willing to work on the neck. Why couldn't they take the neck off, fill and redrill, and send back my instrument? Doesn't it cost them more to send me a total new, unopened guitar? And what did they do with the original guitar I sent them? I was shocked that they did this and when players who had issues with their Fenders and Gibsons would complain (it took two years for Fender to send me chrome cover for my '83 tele!), I would tell them about my Ibanez story and they were shocked. Back then, Fender and Gibson had the long history behind them and that's what they would emphasize and Ibanez was known as less expensive but generally better and more consistent.

Whatever the case may be, you will always get a few quality control issues that fall through the cracks since they are a large company, not an individual luthier. I am so sad to hear that the company/dealer gave you the runaround. Sometimes a niche opens up for the qa issues that happen with a big company and somebody like Heritage Guitars basically build the Gibson designs but make the extra effort to set them up right and the playability difference is amazing though the dimensions and parts are pretty similar. That extra human effort costs money and big companies simply can't afford to set them up like a luthier or smaller company like Heritage. I do like the services offered by Rich ^^^^ as Ibanez could never offer the level of service and setup that he does.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Takin' a Ride.

The first fret is lower than the rest but it really only affects the low E string. Also there is a kink in the neck on that side of the fretboard. The high E side is perfectly straight.

I have had multiple setups in the past but they have always come back with the action ridiculously high to compensate. I've adjusted everything myself also, including the truss rod even giving it an extra bit of bow. Trouble is when I do that the lower frets are better but anything over the 12th is made worse. I've tried this in conjunction with tweaking the action but the only way I can make it playable is to have the action way too high.

At the moment the low is 4mm high at 12th and the high E is 3mm. It buzzes way too much but taking the action any higher will make unplayable in my opinion.

Some might say this action is acceptable but for me it is too high. This also doesn't take away the fact that the neck is kinked and the first fret lower than the rest as confirmed by 3 diffefrent techs.

Its poor workmanship and quality control on behalf of Ibanez but I suppose that is mass produced guitars for you. Suffice to say I will never order a new guitar ever again. I'll only buy that has been in the store a while.

Whether I ever buy Ibanez again is also questionable after this headache.

Very dissapointed...
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Vendor

It's wood, that is the way the neck settled. It wouldn't matter who's logo was on the headstock.

Blazer, again, more idiots at rest [not work], because it takes about 2 minutes to realign a neck.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Thanks for your reply Takin' a Ride.

The first fret is lower than the rest but it really only affects the low E string. Also there is a kink in the neck on that side of the fretboard. The high E side is perfectly straight.

I have had multiple setups in the past but they have always come back with the action ridiculously high to compensate. I've adjusted everything myself also, including the truss rod even giving it an extra bit of bow. Trouble is when I do that the lower frets are better but anything over the 12th is made worse. I've tried this in conjunction with tweaking the action but the only way I can make it playable is to have the action way too high.

At the moment the low is 4mm high at 12th and the high E is 3mm. It buzzes way too much but taking the action any higher will make unplayable in my opinion.

Some might say this action is acceptable but for me it is too high. This also doesn't take away the fact that the neck is kinked and the first fret lower than the rest as confirmed by 3 diffefrent techs.

Its poor workmanship and quality control on behalf of Ibanez but I suppose that is mass produced guitars for you. Suffice to say I will never order a new guitar ever again. I'll only buy that has been in the store a while.

Whether I ever buy Ibanez again is also questionable after this headache.

Very dissapointed...
I don't think there is a major company I have ever heard of that could deal with your issue in a good way. Only personal techs could set up a guitar perfectly, and then they have to know you. My guitar neck on one instrument was made by a luthier that set up shredder Tony McAlpine's guitars. He liked the action really high and unless the tech knew that, it would never be right for him. Other luthiers like to set the action so low it makes any guitar seem lifeless, but many, many players don't mind and want the lowest possible action.

There's nothing more key than luthier knowing what you want and if other players don't like your setup, it's their problem and not yours. It appears you need a new fret on 1st and a very specific setup. Only you know what buzzing is acceptable versus what height you want your action set. I had one guitar that didn't buzz on any fret but then again action was super high. It was great for certain applications but was limited in it's slow and high action, and need for an aggressive, percussive attack. That being said, that high actioned guitar was the best I have ever owned in over 60 guitars that have been through my hands.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's wood, that is the way the neck settled. It wouldn't matter who's logo was on the headstock.

Blazer, again, more idiots at rest [not work], because it takes about 2 minutes to realign a neck.
And my Blazer issue happened in 1981, back when Japan was a rising star and people worked on average 60+ hours a week. I just don't get it. I got my Ibanez because Fender at the time were so hit an miss with how they aligned their necks that they were not even worth a look. I don't think their necks played well until Schultz came over from Yamaha and kicked some serious tail at Fender which he later bought. Schultz, probably most compared to Steve Jobs, later died and it shows, as does with Jobs' absence at Apple Inc.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Vendor

The problem with Fender then was neck pockets that were 1/8" to 1/4" too wide. Talk about lack of QC.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Some great feedback there.

Rich you're dead right when you say "It's wood, that is the way the neck settled". That's why I will never order a new guitar again. After its settled anything can happen. I'll buy the new guitar that's been hanging in the store everytime from now on.

63Blazer again great comments. You're absolutely right. It does need a new fret on the 1st. Also only you can know how you like your guitar setup, and only you know what is an acceptable amount of buzzing. I play mostly using clean tones so the buzzing irritates the **** out of me. If I played with distortion all time I probably wouldn't care...but I don't.

For now I have set it up myself to as near as acceptable I can get it for my taste. Like you say any Luthier is going to set it up to their taste.

But the fact remains that the guitar has quality issues that came from the factory and Ibanez aren't listening.

I'm happy to set the guitar up myself but I don't know enough to start replacing frets. I'll leave that to the pro's.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 02:39 PM

Reviews: 21

I think Rich is right in this problem in that you would need a neck adjustment and/or a fret level. Not seeing the instrument myself it sounds like you made a bad problem worse by putzing with the truss rod. I don't think a new out of the box RG would need a truss rod adjustment. Find a tech in your area with a good reputation and, at least, get their opinion.
Good luck!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Thanks guys. Some great feedback there.

Rich you're dead right when you say "It's wood, that is the way the neck settled". That's why I will never order a new guitar again. After its settled anything can happen. I'll buy the new guitar that's been hanging in the store everytime from now on.

63Blazer again great comments. You're absolutely right. It does need a new fret on the 1st. Also only you can know how you like your guitar setup, and only you know what is an acceptable amount of buzzing. I play mostly using clean tones so the buzzing irritates the **** out of me. If I played with distortion all time I probably wouldn't care...but I don't.

For now I have set it up myself to as near as acceptable I can get it for my taste. Like you say any Luthier is going to set it up to their taste.

But the fact remains that the guitar has quality issues that came from the factory and Ibanez aren't listening.

I'm happy to set the guitar up myself but I don't know enough to start replacing frets. I'll leave that to the pro's.
When I was into the totally clean sound, I loved the high to medium high action, ala SRV, because you can hear the character of your strings and how your hand manipulates them. With action on the low or medium low, it's hard to distinguish the fine points of individuals of how they attack their string. Sure, high action is harder but I would rather listen to a slow player with feel and a unique style over any fast, lifeless speed demon. Tony realized this and on his slower passages you can hear a personalized attack that is lacking in many fellow shredders, but his deep commitment to guitar allows him to shred on piano wire if need be with ridiculous precision. Here's a guy used to the stiff action of a Steinway so electric guitar is a piece of cake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode