Updates on Meshuggah guitars... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Updates on Meshuggah guitars...

Hey all you 'Shuggah fans, I got some updates for you. I went to one of their shows last night, and have some interesting new facts about their guitars. For all their Bb tuned material, they were using custom Ibanez 7 strings (ebony fretboard, one 12th fret inlay, lo pro, un-finished maple neck w/ bubinga stripe (I couldn't tell if they were bolt-on or neck-thru), a beautiful grey pewter matte or flat black finish, and one bridge pick-up, not a DiMarzio or EMG, the pole pieces weren't right for it to be a DiMarzio. Looked to be like one of the custom pickups like in the Nevborns.) Absolutely beautiful! I was drooling and tempted to run on stage just to grab a hold of one. I wish I could have gotton pics. Anyways, for their "Nothing" material that's tuned to F, they were using the Nevborns alright, but not 8 string Nevborns. They were 7 string Nevborns, but they were 7's tuned to F, strung up like an 8 string minus the High E string. I guess physics just doesn't work well with 8 strings. That's ok, I never did like the idea of an 8 string anyways (unless it had a High A, then we would be talking...), much less a guitar tuned to F (god, mud city, use frequencies that guitars and guitar amplifiers are designed for, not bass guitar frequencies!). And one more interesting fact: they didn't fire their bassist like they said in Guitar World, he's there playing with them alright. He's using a 5 String BTB tuned to Bb and also using a 5 string BTB tuned to F to play their "Nothing" material. Just like to keep you people updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 08:48 PM

Of course the bassist was there, he's still there till the end of the tour according to the reports, then they're gettin rid of him.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 11:43 PM

I think the whole confusion over Gustaf still being in the band was due to the fact that whoever did the Guitar World interview wasn't really paying attention to what they said, or at least got something confused. (PRS? Schecter? wtf!) It seems that he's still a permanent member of the touring band, he just isn't a full member of the band anymore. In other words no song-writing for Gustaf. Check out the newer Guitar One article... it's a bit clearer.

Anyway, It was interesting to hear that he had his bass tuned down to F. If he's playing down around 21.83 Hz that's got to be some earth-shaking power through a full-range PA. I'm still suspicious that those notes are floating around down there on Nothing, but most speakers don't quite push it that low. It sure seems loads heavier on my friend's car speakers since he's got a 2x14 setup in the trunk, but maybe I'm dreaming.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 04:29 AM

The 8s are still not finished. Those custom-shop Ibanez 7s you saw are from at least last year...
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsorovan
The 8s are still not finished. Those custom-shop Ibanez 7s you saw are from at least last year...
No, they had the Newborn 8-strings in the pictures a long time ago. Or at least one did.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsorovan
They have at least one finished 8 string. I've seen it on the internet and in magazines several times. And they had an 8 string to record the record with.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 05:24 PM

I believe that 8 string in the photos you've seen was a prototype.
I don't believe they recorded the album with it. If I remember right, they had to give it back to the Nevborn dude.. not 100% sure though.

Timdog
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 05:53 PM

I've heard rumors that Michael Bolton is joining the band.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmeir
I've heard rumors that Michael Bolton is joining the band.
The tenor sax dude or the guy from Office Space ?
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 07:30 PM

You're thinking of Kenny G (But I think you can hear him playing in the background as well)
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 07:58 PM

No I'm pretty sure they used an 8-string to record Nothing because in the guitar world interview they bitch about how it came with to heavy of a low string (or was it to light). Either way Im almost positive they did use an 8-string.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 05:46 AM

They recorded Nothing with two 7-strings tuned down to F. They said that in an interview with swedish guitar magazine FUZZ.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

I may be the only person to think this, but I don't think that the idea of an 8 string guitar tuned to a Low F will ever turn into a reality. It's just a ridiculous idea. I mean, a Low B is low enough and already treading into bass guitar territory as it is, I mean just think about the Low F! It's just a stupid idea to me. You can't hear any chord definition and the Low F sounds like a loose string you haven't wound up and tuned up yet. I'm willing to bet they'll never get those 8's up, running, and working. If you can't be heavy enough with a Low B, you REALLY need to spend time with your ears and your creativity, IMO. Tuning much below C or B just starts to turn into mud and crap. I personally would NEVER adopt the idea of an 8 string guitar with a string lower than B, however I would be REALLY interested in one that had a High A (hehe). That won't ever probably happen either, the string gauge would just be way too small (a .007 or .008? uhm, no!). And there is a point where you add so many strings that it becomes stupid. I mean for example, I don't see a purpose for more than 6 strings on a bass, and most bass players I know agree. There is a fine line between increasing creative borders and actual hinderence of those borders.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 10:12 AM

if there are people out there who has a use for an 8-string guitar- why not?

if you wanna put a high string A in there, then by all means. whoever said there should be a standard tuning for you? i have ever put one in my 7620, so it's EADGBEA from low to high...
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 03:46 PM

Vai originally tried putting a high a string on his guitars. They just kept snapping so he went to an extra low string. The first seven string electric I know of was alex gregorys and he was using a high as well

Tags
charlie hunter , custom ibanez , ebony fretboard , fret inlay , guitar mag , locking nut , maple neck , signature guitar , string bass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode