upgrade from rg120? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

upgrade from rg120?

hey i'm wondering if the ESP LTD Standard H-101fm would be considered an upgrade from a stock rg120. i'm not very educated in what woods sound good/pickups because i don't live near any guitar shops and really i've only played my rg120 and a xhiphos at this pawn shop when i was on vacation. I like to play rock, buckethead style, steve vai styles, so i would like some input on this whether it has good warm tone or its very crunchy. oh and if theres any other guitar for the price of 250 that would be considered an upgrade please tell me thanks, GhostY

Last edited by 1337GhostY; 12-30-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: upgrade from rg120?

Well, they are very different guitars - the RG has a trem and the ESP is a fixed bridge so I think the first thing you need to do is decide whether or not you want a guitar with a trem...and if you do then I would recommend considering upgrading to a guitar with a locking trem...

but in comparing the guitars, in my humble opinion, I would say that the ESP isn't really much of an upgrade - maybe a bit - but both guitars are entry level guitars and are both made of Agathis, which is a more readily availabe wood than some of the more sought after tonewoods. The more noticeable differences between an entry level guitar and a mid-range priced guitar are probably more in the electronics and hardware...you'd probably have a tough time telling the difference in tone between guitars with an alder body and an Agathis body that were cut the same with the same neck, electronics and hardware - a pickup change would likely be more noticeable.

I believe the RG120 was made specifically for US retailer Guitar Center so they probably made that guitar as inexpensively as possible (sorry, not meaning to slam your guitar) so I would probably say that the ESP might be a slight upgrade...to be brutally honest you're not going to get a lot for $250 so you might be better to keep saving up for something a little better. It also depends on if you are willing to buy used, which would be my recommendation, or if you want to buy something new. You can find some pretty decent guitars on CL if you're patient but if you want to buy something new then I would probably recommend looking for something like one of these:

Ibanez GRGA32T
Ibanez RG321MH
ESP LTD M-103

Good luck in your search and I hope this has helped

Last edited by doriangrey; 12-30-2011 at 01:13 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 01:09 AM

if you like fixed bridge guitars and are looking for an upgrade the SZ320 is hard to beat....

watch craigslist close, there will be tons of guitars and then you can research them on the internet and see where they are categorized.

if you already have an entry level guitar, your next step is to upgrade. better woods, better electronics, better hardware.

getting another labels bottom of the barrel is more of a sidestep than a step up....
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

@ doriangrey thanks, that was very helpful i actually do want something without a trem system, just for a change. as for money this money i have right now is actually just money i got from christmas/birthday, i don't have a job yet but this summer i'm getting one, (i'm 16 :P) but yeah thanks for the feedback

@ scottop i'll start looking at that, thanks

Tags
esp ltd rg120

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode