Upgrading gio to standard, iron label or prestige? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Santir79
  • 1 Post By DeeJayK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Upgrading gio to standard, iron label or prestige?

Hello guys, i been playing my gio ( fixed bridge) for 4 years, and i will like to upgrade. im really stuck! Idk what guitar to purchase.. A friend of mine sells me an rg270 mik for 140. I also found a used s type iron label with floyd for 550, and im also interested on new rg655 prestige.( saving money for that one)

I dont have expierence with floating bridges but looks fun, and i like to play all types of music.. And also, im not that super good at guitar.

The reason i cant decide is regrets lol. Will going from my gio (year 2012) to the rg270 (year 94 or 2000) be a big difference? Some iron labels look expensive, is the quality good as the prestige? Is it true that good quality guitars like the prestige will last along time and wont fall apart like cheap guitars? ( well thats what my old teacher said to me once, he advice to get something expensive)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 08:44 AM

Re: Upgrading gio to standard, iron label or prestige?

how about leaving the Gio the way it is and instead buy the guitar that will suit you most? In my opinion, going from a Gio to a RG270 is not the right thing to do. You won't notice the quality difference....
If you get a 550 or 655 you will notice the quality difference. Quality guitars do last longer.... provided you don't smash them when you play....

Save your money, keep your Gio and buy a good guitar. Hope this helps
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santir79 View Post
how about leaving the Gio the way it is and instead buy the guitar that will suit you most? In my opinion, going from a Gio to a RG270 is not the right thing to do. You won't notice the quality difference....
If you get a 550 or 655 you will notice the quality difference. Quality guitars do last longer.... provided you don't smash them when you play....

Save your money, keep your Gio and buy a good guitar. Hope this helps
i see some 550 under 500 bucks on ebay. how do i know if its real? im have never shopped on ebay or reverb.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 10:13 AM

if you are not sure you can always post the photos here and we can all help you with your decision and can tell you whether the guitar is real. Jemsite is full of good and knowledgeable people. You will have no problems here.
Onestepcloser likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

cool thanks!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 10:36 AM

What is is about your current guitar that you don't like? What are you looking to gain from upgrading?

Are you just looking to make the move to something with a tremolo, because you don't sound convinced that's the way you want to go? Trems are sorta fun, but they also add complexity, so that may not be the best thing if you're still learning (better to spend time improving your skills than messing around with and/or adjusting and setting up a trem).

The quality on Iron Labels is basically the same as with any other recent Indonesian Ibanez, meaning it's decent but generally not up to the Prestige/MIJ level. There's a noticeable difference between a Prestige 655 and a similar Iron Label model.

If your budget is ~$500, you can get a decent 90's 550 or 570 for that if you keep your eyes open, depending on where you are shopping (e.g. prices in the US are cheaper than in some other countries).

But before you run out and make a purchase I'd suggest you define your needs and desires a little bit more closely.
mike570 likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 12:13 PM

Reviews: 21

I second the idea of putting off trems until you learn more. Trems in general are kind of difficult to maintain if you don't have experience or don't want to go to a tech to set your guitar up. Most budget trem guitars don't come set up well at all from the factory or aren't set up after shipping. If you want a trem guitar I'd suggest a used RG550 or RG570.
For fixed bridge guitars I'd suggest this:
Electric Guitars RG - RG421 | Ibanez guitars

or this:

Electric Guitars RG - RG421AHM | Ibanez guitars

Good luck!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayK View Post
What is is about your current guitar that you don't like? What are you looking to gain from upgrading?

Are you just looking to make the move to something with a tremolo, because you don't sound convinced that's the way you want to go? Trems are sorta fun, but they also add complexity, so that may not be the best thing if you're still learning (better to spend time improving your skills than messing around with and/or adjusting and setting up a trem).

The quality on Iron Labels is basically the same as with any other recent Indonesian Ibanez, meaning it's decent but generally not up to the Prestige/MIJ level. There's a noticeable difference between a Prestige 655 and a similar Iron Label model.

If your budget is ~$500, you can get a decent 90's 550 or 570 for that if you keep your eyes open, depending on where you are shopping (e.g. prices in the US are cheaper than in some other countries).

But before you run out and make a purchase I'd suggest you define your needs and desires a little bit more closely.
my guitar gets noisy when lots of low end is added and goes out of tune(i already took it to a tech and upgrades plus service is expensive!.) i want to upgrade to versatile guitar that can get single coil tones and high gain.. a guitar that i will practice everyday.. a guitar that makes me want to play more lol

yeah i should improve my skills more, really! but i also want to learn how to fix my own gear, set up, repair etc.. i was thinking of a trem system because theres some solos that i like that includes that whammy technique.. so i still dont know lol

yeah im looking at those models on ebay..
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 02:52 PM

The RG655 is probably the best of the bunch and sounds like the kind of thing you are looking for. Don't worry about trems. Many folk get their knickers in a twist over these things but they aren't actually very difficult to set up (just learn what to do beforehand!).

I personally don't rate the Iron Label guitars but then they aren't my cup of tea.

A lot of the Standard RGs are very good guitars though and worth a look - try before you buy is the best option. Although you will notice a difference in quality with the Prestige - I got bitten by that bug myself. When I got my RG in 2005 I originally looked at an RG320FM Amber which I liked a lot, however next to it in the shop was a 2550 which was 300 quid more expensive. I tried it and loved it in every way. It remains the most expensive guitar I ever bought and I do sometimes wonder if I should've bought the 320 instead, however for me it felt just right.

Good luck!

'87
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestepcloser View Post
my guitar gets noisy when lots of low end is added and goes out of tune(i already took it to a tech and upgrades plus service is expensive!.) i want to upgrade to versatile guitar that can get single coil tones and high gain.. a guitar that i will practice everyday.. a guitar that makes me want to play more lol

yeah i should improve my skills more, really! but i also want to learn how to fix my own gear, set up, repair etc.. i was thinking of a trem system because theres some solos that i like that includes that whammy technique.. so i still dont know lol

yeah im looking at those models on ebay..
It sounds like you've outgrown the GIO. If that's the case it does make more sense to buy a different guitar than to upgrade the GIO.

As far as the trem goes, if you're working on solos where its needed, then by all means go for it. Just go in with your eyes wide open that it's going to be something new you're going to have to learn to deal with. It also makes it more time consuming to change tunings. It's not particularly difficult, but there is a bit of a learning curve to get one set up.

I'd recommend you look for an early nineties RG570 that's in good shape. If you're patient you should be able to get one for around $400. A 550 (which is the same guitar but with a pickguard and a maple fretboard) is generally going to cost a bit more. Other than age and wear, there isn't a huge difference between the old 550/570s and the 655/657s they sell today, so I'd grab the old ones that are cheaper. If you still want to save up for a new one, you should be able to resell the 550/570 for around what you bought it for when the time comes.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayK View Post
It sounds like you've outgrown the GIO. If that's the case it does make more sense to buy a different guitar than to upgrade the GIO.

As far as the trem goes, if you're working on solos where its needed, then by all means go for it. Just go in with your eyes wide open that it's going to be something new you're going to have to learn to deal with. It also makes it more time consuming to change tunings. It's not particularly difficult, but there is a bit of a learning curve to get one set up.

I'd recommend you look for an early nineties RG570 that's in good shape. If you're patient you should be able to get one for around $400. A 550 (which is the same guitar but with a pickguard and a maple fretboard) is generally going to cost a bit more. Other than age and wear, there isn't a huge difference between the old 550/570s and the 655/657s they sell today, so I'd grab the old ones that are cheaper. If you still want to save up for a new one, you should be able to resell the 550/570 for around what you bought it for when the time comes.
For what is worth, I think everything DeeJayK has written very good advice and has an accurate perspective on the situation. Here is my advice:

You need a guitar that does the following:
1. Stays in tune (Physics will cause the strings to go out of tune over time. That is why a guitar has tuners/fine tuners. Slight adjustments are normal. )
2. Easy to play
3. Sounds good

In your case:
4. If you want single coils, you need a guitar with at least 1 single coil.
5. If you want a floating bridge, you need a guitar with a good floating bridge. (The Ibanez Edge/Lo Pro Edge are both good floating bridges.)

-This is the guitar that will make you practice more.
-This is the guitar that you will "grow into, rather than out of."
-This is the guitar that will help you get better.

Lastly, you will not play a guitar you do not like. I promise.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advices guys! So i didnt purchase anything online because it seems i like to try out guitars first before buying.. So i went to a local music store to tryout some Ibanez guitars, i came out purchasing a Fender lonestar Mim strat hss 2013-14 model , lol Sorry i know here is all about ibanez, but i was surprise that i liked the 9.5 inch radius and modern c neck, and what i liked allot too was that strat tone! for a metal tone the bridge humbuker sounds ok, but not my taste..

Instead of posting another topic, ill just ask here lol.. this is due to high gain stuff for metal.. when i plug in the gio and now the fender to my scarlett solo first gen using Amplitube 4, i get this static sound and gets noisy when allot of low end is added.. But the funny thing is when i plug in my friends jackson 7 string guitar, the issue is gone.. On a gain setting for blues and rock ( the gio and fender) they sound fine, really clean.. But Could this be because
1) the pickups are to hot that requires a 2nd gen interface? Because when they get connected the volume increases more than the jackson.
2) the guitars need to be rewired? New pots etc..
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 08:36 AM

Don't be sorry, it's your choice, congratulations on your purchase I agree I always recommend try before you buy.

I don't think your sound issue is anything serious, it could be shielding/earthing/mains hum but hard to say.

'87

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode