Upgrading Ibanez PGM3 Tremolo and other stuff - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By xperiate
  • 1 Post By Cina
  • 1 Post By xperiate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Red face Upgrading Ibanez PGM3 Tremolo and other stuff

I own a PGM3 and I'm very happy with, however, its very old (from 2005) and I want to upgrade pretty much all I can without buying a new one (they don't sell these guitars in my country, I was lucky to buy one from someone who brought it from the USA)

Starting with the tremolo, what are my options? it has got an ILT1 tremolo. The pickups were upgraded, it has got Seymour Duncan humbuckers which sound awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 07:35 PM

Re: Upgrading Ibanez PGM3 Tremolo and other stuff

Perhaps try and put an Ibanez EDGE bridge in but I doubt it will be a direct fit because of the ILT1 cavity. The second best option would be to put a Gotoh GE1996T bridge (about US$100 on eBay) which are very stable. Maybe you could even swap the hardware to gold - get a gold Gotoh bridge, gold nut locks and gold gotoh tuners (all under US$200) for a shiny upgrade.
andresg97 likes this.

Last edited by xperiate; 07-03-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: typo fixed
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Upgrading Ibanez PGM3 Tremolo and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xperiate View Post
Perhaps try and put an Ibanez EDGE bridge in but I doubt it will be a direct fit because of the ILT1 cavity. The second best option would be to put a Gotoh GE1996T bridge (about US$100 on eBay) which are very stable. Maybe you could even swap the hardware to gold - get a gold Gotoh bridge, gold nut locks and gold gotoh tuners (all under US$200) for a shiny upgrade.
Thank you for the suggestions, the golden upgrade seems interesting!
I will go to a luthier for him to replace every part, so if something doesn't fit I guess he can cut part of the guitar and make it fit right?
Keeping that in mind, can I go for better (more expensive) tremolo options?

Can I also hardtail the guitar? removing the tremolo system and installing a normal bridge? (with the help of a luthier)
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresg97 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions, the golden upgrade seems interesting!
I will go to a luthier for him to replace every part, so if something doesn't fit I guess he can cut part of the guitar and make it fit right?
Keeping that in mind, can I go for better (more expensive) tremolo options?
Yes, of course you could go to a luthier. But the Gotoh bridge is a direct swap - nothing to change. BTW, Gotoh makes the EDGE bridge for Ibanez. They are excellent quality and value. The only other option is the more expensive Original Floyd Rose (made in Germany) for around US$200. I'd go with Gotoh.

Quote:
Can I also hardtail the guitar? removing the tremolo system and installing a normal bridge? (with the help of a luthier)
Yes but that's quite complicated , expensive and potential for messing up your guitar body. You'll have to fill the cavity and then install a hard-tail bridge. I'd suggest not going that route.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 09:45 AM

Especially because if you wanted to, you could block the tremolo bridge in place.
andresg97 likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Will this Floyd rose fit on the PGM 3? "Floyd Rose Limited 1984 Original German Chrome Tremolo System Complete w/ Nut"

Found it in ebay for 200 $.

I did ask the seller but i got no answer
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, of course you could go to a luthier. But the Gotoh bridge is a direct swap - nothing to change. BTW, Gotoh makes the EDGE bridge for Ibanez. They are excellent quality and value. The only other option is the more expensive Original Floyd Rose (made in Germany) for around US$200. I'd go with Gotoh.

Yes but that's quite complicated , expensive and potential for messing up your guitar body. You'll have to fill the cavity and then install a hard-tail bridge. I'd suggest not going that route.
Will this Floyd rose fit on the PGM 3? "Floyd Rose Limited 1984 Original German Chrome Tremolo System Complete w/ Nut"

Found it in ebay for 200 $.

I did ask the seller but i got no answer
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 12:25 AM

Yes. That would fit fine I believe.
andresg97 likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes. That would fit fine I believe.
Basically any floyd rose then? thank you
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 05:08 PM

Just flollowing up - did it work out for you?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Just flollowing up - did it work out for you?
I don't know, I asked the seller if it would work and got no answer, I'm going to ask again and see, im from uruguay so im importing the item to my country and i must be sure it works.

Last edited by andresg97; 09-30-2017 at 10:38 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 10:04 PM

I have an original Floyd Rose in Chrome - I can measure the dimensions for you if you want. Maybe you can send me measurements from your TRS and I can verify.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I have an original Floyd Rose in Chrome - I can measure the dimensions for you if you want. Maybe you can send me measurements from your TRS and I can verify.
that's awesome! I'll take a pic and measure it in a minute.
How much better is having an original Floyd rose than the stock one from 2005 (ILT1 tremolo)?

edit: here it is

Last edited by andresg97; 09-30-2017 at 10:38 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 11:08 PM

Well that's not very useful as there are other things to measure as well. Perhaps you could accurately measure it like this?

Photobucket
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 02:57 AM

the trs should fit an original floyd rose. The most important thing will be your stud spacing. I am fairly certain a lo trs 2 swaps directly with an ofr and i dont think there is a difference between 1 and 2 spacing.

Tags
pgm , pgm3 , pickups , tremolo , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode