Upgrading my pickups - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Upgrading my pickups

Fellow guitar players,

At this moment i have v1-s2-v2 pickups. I think they are great but i would like to know your opinion about these pickups.

Also i have been looking at Dimarzio and Duncan pickups. Are these pickups so much better then the stock v1-s2-v2?

I mainly play Blues/Rock( Gary moorre, Status quo ect).

Whitch non stock pickups you recommand me for the h-s-h set up?

Thanks

regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Upgrading my pickups

Load up some DiMarzio PAF Pros in the humbucker spots. Choose one of the DiMarzio area series for a single coil if you use the middle position a lot and the stock single doesn't cut it for you.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

So replacing is a good option

Only thing i dont understand is put 2x PAF pro's in the neck and bridge? that means that the sound wil be the same right?

Prob a stupit question but kinda new in modding guitars.

thanks!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:22 AM

Reviews: 15

Even if you have the same pickups in different positions, they will sound different. With that said, normally you would get "matched" pickups, like a normal PAF in the neck and a hotter PAF in the bridge.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 08:26 PM

Reviews: 120

Yeah they will sound different in the different positions.

With regards to my previous post that you asked me about on my profile page, I was saying that you should test out the PAF Pros and the stock single coil together.

If you don't use the middle single that much you probably shouldn't waste your money upgrading it.

If you do use it a lot, decide if it sounds good to your ears. If it sounds good leave it in, if it doesn't then upgrade to something different.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 05:54 AM
Banned

ive just changed stock pups in my rg350 to tone zone/air norton.i acually thought the stock pups inf3 inf4 were ok better than i thought,i havent got the guitar back yet the guy is busy with it as we speak.when wanting to change pick ups just look on you tube to hear different pick up sounds,thats what i did anyways.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 05:32 AM

Reviews: 2

Changing pick ups can never really hurt.. some of the higher dollar guitars can even benefit from that, and its the only way to really experiment with the sound of your guitar and find the tone/voice your looking for from your guitar. especially if you have a good amp (tube or otherwise) that you play through.. i have a lowly peavey vypyr 30 that i really enjoy, and will be grabbing me a Breed bridge and most likely a PAF Joe for the neck... jurys out on if i'll upgrade the single coil in my RG350 yet or not...

cheers
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 08:12 PM

Reviews: 2

The PAF Pro in the neck sounds warm and smooth compared in the bridge which is brighter and more gritty. Maybe the Air Classics or Bluesbucker would sound better if you want a blues rock sound.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moht View Post
Fellow guitar players,

At this moment i have v1-s2-v2 pickups. I think they are great but i would like to know your opinion about these pickups.

Also i have been looking at Dimarzio and Duncan pickups. Are these pickups so much better then the stock v1-s2-v2?

I mainly play Blues/Rock( Gary moorre, Status quo ect).

Whitch non stock pickups you recommand me for the h-s-h set up?

Thanks

regards
the good old JB is good I think you can get it in a kit with a jazz pickup for the neck.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 02:54 PM

Hi everyone, this thread is pretty old, but as a new member I don't think I can create new threads yet so I thought I would post here.
I would like to replace the stock bridge pickup in my Ibanez 7421xl baritone 7. I would like something that is tighter and less muddy in the bass, but not too hot.
I use it for this music: questioner.bandcamp.com. There is riffy stuff, but also a lot of black-metally trem-picking with delay, and for this reason I need something that is a little bit forgiving and softer than e.g. an active pickup. Any advice you guys could give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

You can start your own thread.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 05:44 PM

Reviews: 4

You don't need to change them, those are great stock pickups to begin with...

Tags
v1 s2 v2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode