Upgrading/Restoring a 1981 Destroyer DT-400 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Upgrading/Restoring a 1981 Destroyer DT-400

Hi everyone,

I've been a jemsite 'observer' for quite a while and have picked up numerous tips from the threads, which I've really enjoyed reading.

I recently bought a 1981 DT400 which I plan to upgrade/restore, and could use some help/suggestions. I can't post links or pictures yet, but it's a pretty banged-up version of the "tiger flame" DT400 (with the dot inlays unfortunately, not the beautiful block inlays).

I've been after one of these for ages - I love it to bits and it actually plays pretty good, but the electronics are shot (pickups might be OK, but the pots and toggle switch are a write-off), the frets are worn and the hardware is pretty aged. It's got lots of dings all over it, but that doesn't bother me much - kind of adds to the vintage vibe

My main problem is that the post spacing for the bridge is 76mm rather than the more common 74mm (2-29/32") spacing. The stopbar should be fine - the poles are 82cm apart which seems more standard. Please correct me if I'm wrong - I am not an expert on these tunomatic bridges.

I was wondering if anyone has restored/upgraded this model (or similar) and could recommend a specific model of bridge? I've had a look and found a couple with adjustable post spacing which might work, but it would be great if someone could tell me for sure.

I'd also love any general tips/suggestions you might have for me. As I said, I'm not too fussed about the dings and stuff, it's more a case of making it more playable by replacing:
- gold tuning pegs (leaning towards schaller locking tuners)
- gold bridge/tailpiece (help!)
- pickups (leaning towards gold-covered EMGs)
- pots/switch (I've got some I can use, or use EMG quick connect parts)
- nut (I know nothing about these - suggestions would be great!)

Also, does anyone know if EMG make a quick connect 3-way (les paul style) toggle switch? They seem to only have strat/tele ones on their website. I can always solder a normal switch via their "bus" (I've done this before) but it would be ideal to keep the solderless system solderless I guess.

Thanks in advance, any tips at all are appreciated! Will put some pictures up as soon as I'm able.

- Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Re: Upgrading/Restoring a 1981 Destroyer DT-400

Hey guys,

Can anyone suggest a bridge I could use? I'm struggling to find one the right width?

I'm hoping someone on here has modified one of these guitars or the old rocket rolls which have the same bridge

Thanks!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 12:46 AM

Sorry steady, I thought I replied to this days ago........

joint this site......... they know everything about the classic Ibanez guitars, including your DT. They're a good bunch of guys....... just don't ever use the terms "RG" or "JEM" over there..........

http://ibanezcollectors.com/
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Sorry steady, I thought I replied to this days ago........

joint this site......... they know everything about the classic Ibanez guitars, including your DT. They're a good bunch of guys....... just don't ever use the terms "RG" or "JEM" over there..........
Thanks very much - haven't come across that site before. I'll check them out

I promise I'll only talk about Destroyers over there haha
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 10:12 PM

Hey Steadyhands… those are great guitars… don't sell it… parts are easily found on ebay..

Last edited by LazerBlue; 02-01-2016 at 10:37 AM. Reason: changed thoughts
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 09:27 AM

I love destroyers, badass looking guitars.

Tags
bridge , destroyer , emg , restoration , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode