Upgrading An RGT42 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Upgrading An RGT42

Hey, I just became a member yesterday cuz I need some advice.

I recently purchased an RGT220A, and I freakin' love it. My other Ibanez is an RGT42, which is a good backup guitar now.

Basically, I want to know if I can make my RGT42 as good as my new guitar. The only things that (as far as I know) are lower quality are the pickups and the trem system. Pickups are easy to remedy, but the bridge is what I'm not too sure about...

The RGT220A has the Edge Pro, while the RGT42 has the Edge Pro II. The Edge Pro II is like quite a bit stiffer, and the bar is a pain in the neck to keep stiff.

Is it possible to just swap and Edge Pro II for an Edge Pro? I've searched this question quite a bit, and some people say yes, while some say no.

Also, does anyone think that there's anything else that would have to be upgraded to make the RGT42 as good as the RGT220A?

Thanks,
Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 05:26 AM

Reviews: 4
Re: Upgrading An RGT42

I don't think they are direct replacements.
However, I think some minor routing shall do the trick.

And just swap the pickups...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:27 AM

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
wow, that's my site

i can provide better translation btw, but the bottom line is that, to me, it is a direct replacement, at least, the ones i replaced (about 5) were. the only con, is that due to the different shapes of the trem blocks and routes, the EdgePro can't pull-up too much. at now, only one guy told me he couldn't replace it directly, so i assume it all depend on how tight building precision tolerances were when they built that given guitar.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Awesome. Thanks guys, This site rules.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 03:10 PM

I'm currently selling my RGT42FMDR on everyone's favorite auction site. It has been upgraded with the Edge Pro, and there was no routing involved. In terms of the pull up/dive tolerances, I never noticed it to be a problem when pulling up a few steps. And the bridge is definitely planted as far down in the cavity as it should be - It's not like it was raised to compensate for any lack of pull distance.

I say definitely give it a go! The RGT42 is a quality guitar when you look past the pickups and the trem. Very solid, good wood, and attention to detail. Someone speculated at one point that they thought the bodies were built and prepped in Japan and then sent to Korea for finishing and hardware installation. I don't know how accurate that statement is. Again, just speculation.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Just Following Up On This Problem

So I got the new Edge Pro about a week ago. It fit in with no fuss whatsoever. Intonating the guitar was a bit of a pain, but it's way, way better than the Edge Pro II. Thanks again for the help guys.

Right now I'm waiting for some Breed pickups. I think I'm gonna put them in my RGT220A guitar, and put the RGT220A stock pickups in the RGT42. Who cares, right?

Now I need another tremsetter and one (or two) Tremol-no(s). It never ends!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 05:29 AM

cool, have fun!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 AM

Reviews: 4

Great! New bridge and new pickups for that baby!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 08:06 AM

so you're going to block an your new edge pro with a tremol-no??
if you were just going to block it, why didn't you just keep the edge 3 and save your money?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

I'd just want the tremol-no for the dive only mode. To be honest, I wouldn't bother getting one, but my band's set list is composed of 50% standard tuning songs and 50% Drop D songs. So I have to keep both guitars in different tunings, and I'm kind of screwed if a string breaks on one. If worse came to worse I'd be able to use the tremol-no to change the tuning on the fly. Now I'm wondering if those D-Tunas work on Edge tremolos?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 03:48 PM

Reviews: 120

The D-tuna will only work on standard profile trems - so Lo-Pro Edge, Edge Pro, Edge Pro 2, Edge 3, and Edge Zero are no gos.

It will work with Original Edge, OFR, Schaller and Gotoh trems, basically other any standard profile Floyd Rose based trem.

If you have a low profile trem get your tremol-no and just make sure you can unlock the locking nut easily so you can use the machine head, or try and balance the fine tuner so you can go down to drop d from there.

Tags
edge pro , edge pro 2 , rgt220a , rgt42 , tremolo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

upgrading cpu in alienware m15x
upgrading firmware on psp from mod

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode